• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL reselling trucks

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And thats gonna fix the system?

What happens when Friend A and Friend B get together, Friend A is an "inelegible bidder" and Friend B is next in line.. Friend A bids sky high, knowing he is inelegeable, so Friend B gets them all for cheap.... That would cause more problems then it would solve....

rdixiemiller

RE: GSA Item

On-line auctions are that way. There are people that will bid on 25 or 30 items, only needing (and planning on buying) 1 of the items. I had a person try to default on an E-Bay purchase of some golf cart tires because he decided he wanted taller than stock sizes. This is after he won the auctionfor my stock size tires, and ran the price about 25% higher than they had been selling for! He couldn't understand why I wouldn't just write off my listing and final value fees and let him change his mind! I made him complete the purchase by letting him know that I was going to turn all the e-mails over to E-Bay and get him banned.
GL is in the same boat. I am lucky, everything I got from GL went smoothly, including my EUC items.

Blood_of_Tyrants

emmado22 said:
And thats gonna fix the system?

What happens when Friend A and Friend B get together, Friend A is an "inelegible bidder" and Friend B is next in line.. Friend A bids sky high, knowing he is inelegeable, so Friend B gets them all for cheap.... That would cause more problems then it would solve....
What good would that do? If his friend wasn't bidding against him, he would have gotten them cheap anyway. :roll:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
not when they are in collusion together, and other "legit" bidders back off due to a "bidding war in the last 15 min, then another 15 min, then another, and so on....

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
This is not a new problem relating to GL. Same thing was done when DRMO was selling direct - and it was handled the same way - if the bidder defaulted, the item was reoffered in a later sale.

Regards,
David Doyle

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wasn't going to say this and I'm not saying this is what GL is doing (emmado, feel free to delete this if deemed inappropriate) but. Could it be possable that GL is running the bids up to make more money and end up bumping some trucks one too many times and end up having to resell them.

My Grandfather was a used farm equipment dealer for years. He used to go to alot of equipment auctions to buy and sell equipment. I've seen a bunch of his dealer freinds carry stuff to auctions to sell and they would run the bid up on their piece of equipment untill they got what they wanted for it and then quit bidding. If for some reason the other bidder stopped before they did all they had to pay was the sellers fees ( sometimes the auction company was in on it and it didn't cost them anything) and then carry it to another auction. Almost all live farm and construction equipment auctions operate this way. Alot of times you're bidding against the person that owns what you're bidding on :shock: .

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd have to speculate that the amount they might raise the bid by for a truck or 2 here and there isnt worth loosing the multi zillion dollar contract that they have with Uncle Sam....

Honestly, I think it's moron bidders who get in over their heads/first time bidders. Look at all the stupid questions we get here like "how do I turn on the windshield wipers" and other such moronic questions that can easily be answered by READING..

Do you think those kind of people actaully read the GL "rules" as to the additional 10% buyers premium, sales tax, EUC, SF-97, etc???
What I think happens is a buyer bids on 5 trucks, when he only wants one, thinking he will get outbid. Turns out he doesnt, and now owns 5 trucks, and cant pay for them all... So he gets the one he wants, defaults on the rest.. I think thats whats going on.

Case and point.. An active member ON THIS SITE, whos name you would all know if I posted it, calls me up a while ago after a big auction, asks me if I want to buy X item.. "why's that?" I ask... "Because I accidentally bid on several of them, and won them all. I figured I'd get outbid, but I didnt" So now he owned 5 items, when he only wanted one. Luckiliy, he did the right thing, managed to pay for them all, (and they were several thousands of dollars EACH) and everything turned out OK... However, I think that many guys do the same thing he did, but dont have the coin to back up the bids when they win way more than they wanted.....

There are ALOT of people that inspect GOVT contracts to make sure the contractors are doing things by the book. GL knows this, and I dont think they are going to risk losing a HUGE contract over a few hundred dollars...

USMilitarySurplus

m16ty said:
I wasn't going to say this and I'm not saying this is what GL is doing (emmado, feel free to delete this if deemed inappropriate) but. Could it be possable that GL is running the bids up to make more money and end up bumping some trucks one too many times and end up having to resell them.
We are not running up the bids. We've been audited several times, for heaven's sake. In fact, you'll notice that the final winning bid amount the second or third time an item is sold is rarely the same as the original amount it sold for. That's because bidders typically see an item is reposted and assume that the original winner found something wrong with it. So it's better for our business if the sale of an item is completed the first time.

As many of you have pointed out, if an item doesn't sell, it's reposted to the website. Off the top of my head, I would say the majority of those reposts are a result of the winning bidder defaulting on the item. There are various reasons that might occur - some of those reasons are legit and some are not - even though it says right above the bidding box that the bid is a contract.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Floyd said:
Hey emmado, who are all these people who inspect GL. I for one would love to meet them.

Floyd
Not Emmado, but for one the DoD Office of the Inspector General, who THOROUGHLY audited and examined GL (and LL, etc.) back in 03. You'll also note that the contract stayed in place.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Floyd, you may as well P#ss in the wind for all the help you'll get here. 5 years is a long time with regard to Gov. contracts, as they are only good for 5 years...unless an extension is granted.

Have some Koolaid, it seems to help ;)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Robyn for your reply. :D

I think it's aginst the forum rules to post links to live auctions though.

Blythewoodjoe

m16ty said:
Thanks Robyn for your reply. :D

I think it's aginst the forum rules to post links to live auctions though.
I hate to ask such a question, but with GL advertising on the site, would it not make the rules about auctions invalid? Am I wrong to assume that the link posted could easily be the add on a page? This is getting kind of sticky with a GL add on each page. Then again, I have missed the point before and I'm sure someone will point out the difference.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel I may have said too much on this subject already. I'm going to stay out of this one :shock: .

One more thing, Where's the popcorn? Won't anybody share? I know ya'll have some, I saw FMJ eating it :lol: .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks