• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Receiver Hitch & Singles

M1075

I wanted to add a receiver hitch to the deuce. With a careful search of the past threads here, I settled on ordering a Curt 14082 hitch from J.C.Whitley. I think it was about $150 delivered (in 2 days). The hitch was very easy to install with no modifications needed. The hitch was designed for pickups with 34" frames (typically cab & chassis) and all I had to do was cut some holes in the frame with the plasma cutter. I was too lazy to drill them. I think the hitch looks great and is tucked up out of the way. I have a 10" adjustable drop mount used to get the ball lower when needed. If you want to add a receiver hitch to your deuce or 5 ton, I can't imagine an easier install.

I also added some super singles I purchased off the internet. These were almost new 2 piece beadlock rims with the Michilen XL 15.5/80R20 tires mounted on them. I paid $1000 for the set and they were a direct bolt on. I haven't flipped the hubs yet, but the rears track fairly close to the fronts with the rims flipped instead. A little black to cover up the red paint and I am all set. This truck runs great with the LDS engine in it.

Attachments

Alredneck

Banned
Lookn good, a lil paint and the rims will be just fine. That hitch is a great job and thanks for posting part numbers. What class rating is it?

Bigmillman

vtach. He posted that those are two piece beadlock rims off ebay, not stocks. Does anybody have a interchange chart or something for the different codes for sizing these tires?
Nice looking truck! My hitch is a '70's chevy truck hitch cut and welded to fit. I don't need a drop for the ball. I like yours better.

M1075

RE: Re: RE: Deuce Receiver Hitch & Singles

Ooops, that is tough to read once it is reduced. Similar charts available on the internet.

The largest military tire that will fit on a deuce is available in three tread patterns from Michelin. The XML, XL, and XZL. The tires are about 46.7" tall and 15.4" wide.

The most common tread is the XML and XL. I have never personally seen a XML tire in this size. I prefer the looks of the XML but the XL is a more rugged tire. The XML is used on the FMTV and the XL is used on the M1076 PLS trailer. The XML is 14 ply and the XL is 18 ply.

These tires are the same size (448 revolutions per mile) and either can be used on a deuce.

Michelin XML 395/85R20
Michelin XL 15.5/80R20

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Installed

Where did you find the Class V 10" adjustable drop mount?
All the ones I come across are only II's.
I have a 2K rated to haul 10K trailer and wan tto pull it behind the 5 ton.

I tried the above receiver idea with some plate shims.
Just barely cleared the pintle.
But then I still need another foot plus to get the car hauler trailer level.
The 5 ton has a plate that lowers the pintle hitch down off of the frame, I guess it is to level out the 105A2's that can be pulled behind.
I think I am going to have to add some 6" or 8" channel between the frame rails and the hitch.

Thanx for any info?
I will try to snap som pix when I get home.

Attachments

CCATLETT1984

RE: Installed

you need to go to a camper repair place or TSC you can get 10" class V drop plates they are drilled with holes and you can adjust the height to what you need. easy way would be to get one of the combo pintle/ball hitches to bolt to it, then you can pull a civilian pintle trailer too.

I wouldnt add c-channel to drop it, if anything use box steel and put in two crossmembers and tie it in with braces from the frame also you will need to use a beavy plate on the outsides of the frame to keep it from just mangling the bottom edge of the frame.

Flea

Look for stretch's setup. He's got a 10" (?) drop hitch as described, and has pulled more than one or two heavy loads with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks