• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My take on the M35A3

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got my M35A3 home and, after swapping out the batteries, fired her up. Man, that truck is nice! I am not sure why the Army did not warm up to them. They truly seem like a huge improvement over the old M35A2. I have heard that the CTIS was problematic. Fortunately, mine works. The bastardized hood is kind of ugly, but it is growing on me. That CAT motor has a lot of power and the Allison auto tranny shifts crisply. That just might be the quickest military vehicle I have driven...plenty of power...no smoke at all. The only drawback that I can see so far is you are doing about 2,500 RPM at 50 mph. I am not sure what the rated top speed is for that truck...50-56 I'd guess (the CTIS computer says something about 56 mph). However, unless the CAT is a like a Detroit (that usually rev higher than most diesels), 2,500 sounds kind of high for prolonged driving. If this is truly the case, then 45 mph is about max top speed, which kind of sucks. Additional cool features:

*electric wiper motor upgrade
*3-point seat belts
*more room in the cab because of the auto tranny (no shifter to move)
*better driver's seat
*...best of all, everything is new or rebuilt

Does anyone know what parts of the old M35A2(s) they reused on the M35A3? I know they reused the hood. I believe they reused and rebuilt the axles. I believe the reused and modified the bed. Short of that, I am not sure they reused anything else. I suppose they could have reused the cab tub, but I am not sure why they would unless the old ones were spotless. The cab on my truck looks to be new (at least it was new when the truck was rebuilt I think in 1996).

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: From the Army 1997 Weapon Systems book

I was one of the people that did not like the truck, but it was based mainly on its looks and the reviews I've read from active-duty soldiers who have operated them. The truck has grown on me. I said it once before...the only way I'd buy one is if I got it for a very good deal...and I got this truck for a very good deal. I paid $4-5K less than they usually bring. At first, I was concerned. I was thinking, "Why did it go so cheaply? What does someone else know that I don't?" I think it was just the luck of the draw...some trucks go high because several people are after them and others sell cheaply for no apparent reason. The CAT motor scares me...I think they took it out of production fairly quickly, which may be problematic from a parts stand point. I am not sure about that...but this is what I've heard.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter

By the way, David, thanks for sharing the info on the truck! When you return, you are welcome to put the truck throught it's paces...

Elwenil

I've always liked them. I like the A2s also, but the A3 just has a more powerful looking appearance. I'd love to have one but I'd have to modify a few things. I'd see if I could do a body lift on the cab to level the hood out and fab up new side panels to go with the new hood line and I'd have to find a 9 or 10 speed manual trans to go in it.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

Thanks Bruce
That will be so cool it is funny we are almost neigbors and I keep missing you at events. I will come down in one of my trucks perhaps the new M1031 or the M109. I thought you would enjoy the pictures so right after reading that you got one I took the pictures on my living room floor. I think the Army made a mistake in getting rid of them but then I say that about the 900 series too. One thing that amazes me is that any HEMMETs get out they are the best wheeled vehicle that the Army has.

CGarbee

A buddy of mine has an A3 for sale for a very reasonable price right now... Only problem is that he got the truck several years ago (before they started to surplus running trucks) and the one he got had suffered severe front end damage (looks like it was picked up by a crane about fifty feet and dropped on its nose)... :( Good news is that he has pieced together all the parts to rebuild it except for the wheels and the CTIS control box...

He needs the yard space...

If somebody wants a project, PM me and I'll put you in contact with him... I'd go after it, but I'm sorta getting away from 2.5 ton trucks and moving more into five tons (particularly M809 series trucks...).

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

First, congrats Bruce! Second, where are the pics?!?! :D

Lanty, I have thought the same thing about the body lift. The weight of the cab and its contents should not change the COG that much and it would have been a lot easier and better looking than splitting a hood and scabbing in a piece with pop rivets. The later one-piece hoods look better, but a cab lift would have looked even cleaner.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know where I can find one of the later one-piece hoods for an M35A3? I believe they were fiberglass, but I might be mistaken. I will try to take some pics in the next few days. Here are a couple of pics from the auction.

Attachments

halftrack

David,

The truck pictured in your book looks like a 800 series 5 ton that went thru the ESP. That looks like a bad a s s truck. Too bad the Army didn't go through with it.

Reactions: HDN

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bruce, try Ted Hils, for some reason I'm thinking he had the hoods. Does anyone have an -A3 wheel available for a looksee? I'd like to know if the wheels are chamfered on both sides for the lugnuts.

dk8019

I've watched a few of these auctions, the truck seems to be quicker to speed, have a better braking system, and the CTIS, but why do they go for 5 times the price of a nice M35A2?

M1075

I can't believe it. Bruce has warmed up to an A3! I never thought that he would convert. :shock:

I'll know the world is coming to an end if Kenny gets one next! rofl

readyman

Bruce is that the one from Fort Sheridan in IL?, looks like the pics. We drove over too inspect it and it was a beauty, low miles. The sgt said he'd never pick the A3's to drive becuse he was old fashioned and liked the shifting in the A2 or 5 ton. He never warmed up to them.
I was looking to bob it.

halftrack

readyman said:
Bruce is that the one from Fort Sheridan in IL?, looks like the pics. We drove over too inspect it and it was a beauty, low miles. The sgt said he'd never pick the A3's to drive becuse he was old fashioned and liked the shifting in the A2 or 5 ton. He never warmed up to them.
I was looking to bob it.
For the going price of 10k or more I wouldn't be bobbing anyone soon.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
READYMAN, yes, the truck came out of IL. A friend of mine spoke to the Staff Sergeant, too. He basically said that they were using the truck until earlier this year and he really did not want to turn it in...but he received the paperwork indicating that the truck had to be turned in and he complied. He indicated that the truck was fully operational including the CTIS. The truck has around 5,900 miles/500 hours on it. The tires are about 80-90% and the spare is new.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks