• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My take on the M35A3

readyman

Bruce,
Well you got a good one there, and at a good price too. Yup, that's what the Staff Sergeant said, it had been warmed up periodically with all the other vehicles and was confident it would start right up. Chris(son) and I eyeballed it all over(and over) and gave it a thumbs up, and it was right in our backyard! Bidding just got too high for a bob-job donor. I thought it went to the MV museum just north in WI.

halftrack,
$ Yeah I know, but wouldn't it be cool with those A3 wheels/tires on a 4x4 bobbed deuce!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just read the manual and it states that the CAT motor can run at a maximum permissible RPM of 2,700. I am not sure I'd want to run it up that high for prolonged use. Personally, I think 2,500 is about the maximum I'd want to push it, but I really don't know the truck yet.

readyman

BS'ing with the guys at Fort Sheridan top speed was a issue. But I believe it's just like the throttle limit screw under the pedal of the Deuce put there for the inexperienced driver.
Be sure to post a pic after you powerwash it.
I think the A3 will have it's place in MV history as the short lived transition to the FMTV.

halftrack

readyman said:
BS'ing with the guys at Fort Sheridan top speed was a issue. But I believe it's just like the throttle limit screw under the pedal of the Deuce put there for the inexperienced driver.
Be sure to post a pic after you powerwash it.
I think the A3 will have it's place in MV history as the short lived transition to the FMTV.
Kind of like the M-14 rifle. Short lived and not appreciated until years later. Didn't know you had a good thing until its gone. Now look, it is consider one of the best rifles ever made. Typical Army.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That makes sense since the motor was turning 2,500 RPM at 50 MPH. That's a bit fast in the RPM department for my liking, but the manual says that the motor should not be rev'ed over 2,700.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1075 said:
:shock:

I'll know the world is coming to an end if Kenny gets one next! rofl
I would not hold my breath or make any wagers on that one. With that said I have warmed up to the idea of having -A3 wheels and 14.5s on the front with 1100s on the rear like you did and subsequently Readyman. I've got the wheels and front rubber, just need the rear rubber! That's about as -A3 as I'll get.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really never liked them either. I figured I'd end up with one eventually, but I was not interested in paying the going prices. I happened to get one for a good deal. After seeing it up close and crawling around underneath and on top of the truck, I like it more and more. The trucks drives like a dream. I couldn't believe how smooth it is driving. I believe it uses the old A2 suspension, but it feels much more comfortable driving in it. Maybe that has more to do with the upgraded driver's seat...I don't know. I don't have enough miles driving it yet to have much real knowledge about the truck. I can say that I have been converted to a believer, though. I am not saying that I like it better than an A2...they are classic...but the A3 probably deserves more respect than it has gotten. Sure, it is kind of ugly, but it is growing on me!

readyman

Kenny,
Yeah, LilRuthie's tire setup was the coolest. Kinda kept the traditional duals 'look' in the back, but then had that no-nonsense look from the front. The Bostrom hi-back air-suspension seat was a nice upgrade too.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Bruce,
From memory - the one-piece hood was developed by some university. You may google around on this a bit and find the original source. Very nice looking ride, guess I need to head your way with my camera - again.

David

Jakob

Recovry4x4 said:
M1075 said:
:shock:

I'll know the world is coming to an end if Kenny gets one next! rofl
I would not hold my breath or make any wagers on that one. With that said I have warmed up to the idea of having -A3 wheels and 14.5s on the front with 1100s on the rear like you did and subsequently Readyman. I've got the wheels and front rubber, just need the rear rubber! That's about as -A3 as I'll get.
When I do change the rubber on my Deuce, that's the setup I'll be going with as well.

54reo

halftrack said:
David,

The truck pictured in your book looks like a 800 series 5 ton that went thru the ESP. That looks like a bad a s s truck. Too bad the Army didn't go through with it.
Good eye...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks