• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce brake locks up on reverse

wsucougarx

I have searched the threads and haven't found my answer. What would cause my deuce to lock up on reverse. Here's the scenario, I was backing my deuce out of the side of the house. Everything was good until I applied brakes I backed up about 15 ft before applying brakes. I noticed the driver side front rear dually tires were locked up. Everything else was moving except that one tire. I managed to back up onto the street. Once moving forward, nothing is dragging and the brakes release. As soon as I stop and try to back, she'll go about 1 ft then boom same set of tires lock up. Go forward no problem again and then back up and she locks up. I then took the truck down the street to turn around. When I entered a large corner going right the same brake decides to lockup (was not applying brakes). So here it is, no problems going forward. As soon as I reverse she locks and when turing a corner she wants to lock. Any ideas? Oh BTW its a 1967 deuce (Fred). Same truck I had issues with at Camp withycombe but she was completely fine on the drive home, no issues w/brakes. She's been sitting for 3 weeks and back to the same brake problems.

On my 170 mile drive home, I stopped and checked the hubs several time. They were all a little warm/cool. So brakes did not drag also wouldn't it be an indication that wheel bearings were ok as well?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheel Bearings, spindle nuts, brake shoes broke or incorrectly assembled, broken drum,.... No point guessing.
Time to take it apart and thoroughly look it over to identify the problem and the cause.

Do you have a spindle nut socket?

Last edited:

dittle

:ditto: While you're at it take a good look at the drum itself because whatever is draggin may have damaged the inside of it.

wsucougarx

Wheel Bearings, spindle nuts, brake shoes broke or incorrectly assembled, broken drum,.... No point guessing.
Time to take it apart and thoroughly look it over to identify the problem and the cause.

Do you have a spindle nut socket?
No Doghead I don't have a spindle nut socket. What exactly do I need and where can I get one?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are there any other specialty tools I'm going to need when I go in there. Sorry never opened one of these up before:oops:
No, nothing else comes to mind.
Chock the other wheels. Be sure to secure the axle with a suitable jack-stand or blocking. Use a drain pan under the axle end when you pull the axle. The whole procedure is covered in the TMs. A complete service at that hub is in order while your there. Wheel Bearings repacked, seals replaced if leaking, brake shoes cleaned and adjusted. Inspect for wheel cylinder leakage. etc. Have you done brake work before?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am gonna bet the upper pin on the rear shoe has failed.

wsucougarx

No, nothing else comes to mind.
Chock the other wheels. Be sure to secure the axle with a suitable jack-stand or blocking. Use a drain pan under the axle end when you pull the axle. The whole procedure is covered in the TMs. A complete service at that hub is in order while your there. Wheel Bearings repacked, seals replaced if leaking, brake shoes cleaned and adjusted. Inspect for wheel cylinder leakage. etc. Have you done brake work before?
I have worked on brakes in a VW, 3/4 ton Dodge Ram, Dodge Grand Caravan, but nothing of this size. I just imagine it's probably pretty straight forward. I did just print off the TM brake section on this on. Thanks

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like you'll have no trouble then. Just look things over closely as you disassemble and remember that just because it came apart that way does not mean it was assembled correct! Look over the TMs and use common sense. Ask here when you have doubt or questions. There was an update on the shoe retaining hardware, be sure to identify yours as the new style. Get a new spindle nut lock washer ordered when you get ready to order parts(many times the inner tab is broken).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bad spring would do it too. Either way that wheel (along with all the others) requires a complete inspection. When my hdwe failed on the wrecker, the shoes ground the drum in two like a cutter on a lathe.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Memphis Equipment should have them also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks