• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

818 now with turbo and pics.

madsam

yes I tried that. there is only about 2 inches between the hood and turbo discharge. I hammered the pipe nearly flat and bent the hood support out of the way and it still didn't look right and wasn't going to function very well. hence the idea of running it next to the block behind the fan.
I had thought of using pbc pipe that should handle 100lbs of water pressure. It can handle hot water of about 200 degrees. What I have wondered is if it could handle being the crossover. Being pressurized, I was wondering if the right angles would be OK.

If I used pipes to cross over in mutable places. just a thought.

Attachments

scooter01922

Nice thinking but while it would handle the pressure, it wouldn't handle the heat. I think it would have a blowout the first time you got on the petal a bit and the charge air got good and hot. Could be wrong just my 2 cents. Best of luck in whatever you come up with, its a sweet mod.

scooter01922

Now that would be more likely to work, i think. But at the same time and i'm not sure why, i don't think i would try it. Can't shake the feeling that somehow it wouldn't work well. If i can put it into words i'll let ya know. Till then keep up the thinking, an out of the box type idea is whats needed here.:-D

madsam

I was just thinking of something cheaper than the truck turbo intake tube which is somewhat expensive. (I am basically cheep. ) Maybe exhaust tube would work.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so many questions that i need to ask that would be a super nice fix for my 816 with the 1600s on it. main questions is how hard is it to find all the needed parts ?

jwaller

so many questions that i need to ask that would be a super nice fix for my 816 with the 1600s on it. main questions is how hard is it to find all the needed parts ?
very easy to find. find a local heavy truck repair mechanic and I'm sure you can find a few of these setup in motors with broken cranks. I think my guy had 4 of them when I got mine.

madsam

Thats the problem with the 816. It has a lot more weight to move. :-D

Monty

I had thought of using pbc pipe that should handle 100lbs of water pressure. It can handle hot water of about 200 degrees. What I have wondered is if it could handle being the crossover. Being pressurized, I was wondering if the right angles would be OK.

If I used pipes to cross over in mutable places. just a thought.
Use a good mild steel or stainless seamless tubing and you wouldn't have to worry about it. Weld it up and use V-band claps to hold it together.

Monty

yes I tried that. there is only about 2 inches between the hood and turbo discharge. I hammered the pipe nearly flat and bent the hood support out of the way and it still didn't look right and wasn't going to function very well. hence the idea of running it next to the block behind the fan.
Have you looked into oval tubing?

Great post by the way, looking forward to see how it performs.

nice!

John,
Thanks for keeping us updated. How does it run? Have you driven it yet? If so how is the power difference.? I'm sure the straight pipe sounds pretty sweet!

thanks,
Andy

jwaller

no news as far as power goes I still haven't got the turbo piped into the intake. but sounds like a beast. not near as loud as I was thinking but the whistle makes a C turbo duece sound lame and silly.

madsam

no news as far as power goes I still haven't got the turbo piped into the intake. but sounds like a beast. not near as loud as I was thinking but the whistle makes a C turbo duece sound lame and silly.
" lame and silly".. now thats funny, I don't care who you are. :grin:

StreetbikeDepot

Thanks for the update, I straight piped mine a couple weeks ago, without a turbo it barks pretty loud, with a hard top it isn't bad with the windows up....LOL I build two flanged 90's with a small section of flex pipe, added a hanger to the bottom of the J pipe and it looks OEM.

vinny-socom1

I like your idea, a friend of mine put the turbo,injecter pump,intake from a 290 cummins(I believe) and it ran super fast!!! but last weekend he melted the #5 piston towing a mech. shop trailer!!! so I'm curious how yours works... Good Luck because I really would like to put one on mine!

Vinny

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks