• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hood insulation install

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally had some free time. So I decided I would do the under hood insulation today.

Popped the hood and started. An hour later (I took a couple of breaks) I was done. I did take pix.

The process went like this.

I added FATMAT to all the spots on the hood that had bare metal showing, ie in between the bracing for the hood.

After that was all in the place, I then cut the insulation to size and then put it in place, pushing in all the plastic parts that hold it there.

Total time was about an hour, including the time it took me to FIND the camera and then take these pix.

I took it for a spin. I even stopped and talked to my neighbor. Even HE said he couldn't hear the diesel running. I must admit that I felt it did indeed lower the amount of sound you hear inside the Blazer.

NO, I did not take any sound readings. I'm saving that for the M1028a2. I just want to get my Blazer finished.

Next project is to replace the under hood release cable that I got when I ordered from LMC Trucks. Got the insulation, release cable and the rear handle to roll up the rear window. I've never had the WHOLE handle since I bought this.

One step at a time.

View attachment 134184

View attachment 134185

AJMBLAZER

I need to do that as well. Did you get the matt from LMC? Do the plastic pin things come in a set or do you buy them individually?

Funny part is my civy '89 K5 doesn't have a hood matt either.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to do that as well. Did you get the matt from LMC? Do the plastic pin things come in a set or do you buy them individually?

Funny part is my civy '89 K5 doesn't have a hood matt either.

AJMB,

Yes, from LMC Trucks. Like $39.95 for the insulation. The plastic pins are $1 a piece. I used 20 of them under the hood. But in looking at it, I should have used 22.

ONE note. The hole in the middle of the hood on the supports IS NOT the correct size. So if you plan to put one there, drill it out to be the same size as the other holes.

I didn't discover that until I tried to put one in the middle one and it just wouldn't fit.

Last edited:

edpdx

I think that looks great!

I wonder if you could: A) apply the fatmat. B) Shoot expanding foam in all the ribs. C) Shoot the whole thing with a few coats of undercoating to get a good result.

I gotta do something, and I just want to do it once so I get a lasting good out come. I have tried to apply those fiberglass looking insulation blankets; but they seem to sag and rub thin in any places they eventually come in contact with. My application on a 73 cougar only had 8 or 9 pins, maybe I would have better luck with 22.

Last edited:

edpdx

gvaneck, uh oh.

I did not know about expanding foam not being an option here. I guess I assumed since it was used to seal up drafts it would be ok here. Maybe there is an alternative "space filler".

Thanks.

rnd-motorsports

Mice seem to like this mat for bedding! just thought I would throw that out there! A buddy had the fire wall and underside of his hood sprayed with the bed liner at the same time he did the inside of his cab that made a big dif. but a bit more money also!

mikelee

I used expanding foam and not had any problems with any moisture unless you poke holes in it 7 years now. I know the matting retains water however heat from the engine will dry just about anything. Beside they use the expanding foam in boats for bouyancy.

mutt1966

the underhood insulation was part of the Diesel Option on civvy Chevy and GMC vehicles the insulation for the CUCV's were part of the Arctic KIts. Scott O&O

jdemaris

Finally had some free time. So I decided I would do the under hood insulation today.
Looks similar to the OEM insulation blanket used on Civilian 6.3 diesel rigs. I wonder if it's any more mouse resistant? Mice love the factory insulation and have ripped it all out of all my 6.2 rigs. They never touch the insulation hood blankets in my Ford diesels, so I assume Ford's using a material mice don't like.

Anubis8472

Looks good.

One thing you might think about is fastening a peice of plastic, screen, or some such above your air filter.

Seeing the open filter like that with 'loose' insulation above it makes me want to formulate a sentence including the words "sag" and "clog".

Something rigid just in the area above the filter might be a reasonable precaution.

I've been thinking about opening up my air filter housing, maybe duplicating the factory opening in equal spacing around the housing. Noise levels are said to increase quite a bit.
Do you think the sound levels are back to where they would be with a stock housing?

This looks easy to do, and not a bad thing to have up here in the Midwest.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure it is the same, but I've heard on newer vehicles the plastic buttons melt and the mat becomes a kind of fire blanket for under hood fires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks