• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hood insulation install

wdbtchr

I have a roll of insulating mateial with foil backing that has a mesh behind the foil facing the insulation is 3/8 " thick. I was going to use it on my hood. I bought the plastic holders at O'reillys but I don't remember how much they were.

My question is how did you locate the holes in the hood through the insulated sheet. Also did you use any kind of adheasive to glue the insulation to the hood. The stuff I have is called High Quality Heatshield and I ordered it from JC Whitney several years ago for another project. The directions say to use spray contact adheasive and tape the edges with aluminum tape.

I was thinking of taking the hood off and turning it upside down to make it easier to glue in place but I couldn't figure out how to locate the holes.:roll:

edpdx

Lay the insulation down and be sure of fitment before you attempt to spray the adhesive on. Mark the corners and sides with a marker to help guide the final lay-in. Use a thin (bamboo) skewer to mark each "hole" as you go. Leave the skewer in each hole until all are accounted for. The adhesive will hold the area fast as you switch-in each "button" .

When removing the hood, buy 4 extra 1/8: drill bits. Drill through the bracket into the hood in two places on either side. Loosen and remove the bolts holding the hood to the hinge ONLY. After the job is done, reattach the hood to the brackets loosely, then insert a loose 1/8" drill bit through each hole you drilled. Tape them in place with a piece of masking tape of have assistants hold each bit square while the bolts are each tightened up. The hood will not need any further alignment tweaking.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DON'T use glue - it makes a mess IF you ever need to take it off

I used the under hood insulation from LMC - they are held in place with plastic push pieces with a large round washer sized material on the end that HOLDS the insulation in place. They are the 'black dots' you see in the second picture - 10 are $7

LMC Truck Parts - Page 34

please look at the FIRST picture - it shows FATMAT (like dynamat only way cheaper) that I cut to size to fix the openings ON the hood

the difference IS impressive - much quieter and I didn't even add anything INSIDE the truck - hope that helps

wdbtchr

Lay the insulation down and be sure of fitment before you attempt to spray the adhesive on. Mark the corners and sides with a marker to help guide the final lay-in. Use a thin (bamboo) skewer to mark each "hole" as you go. Leave the skewer in each hole until all are accounted for. The adhesive will hold the area fast as you switch-in each "button" .

When removing the hood, buy 4 extra 1/8: drill bits. Drill through the bracket into the hood in two places on either side. Loosen and remove the bolts holding the hood to the hinge ONLY. After the job is done, reattach the hood to the brackets loosely, then insert a loose 1/8" drill bit through each hole you drilled. Tape them in place with a piece of masking tape of have assistants hold each bit square while the bolts are each tightened up. The hood will not need any further alignment tweaking.
Looks like a well thought out plan, it hadn't occured to me to mark it first. Duh! Thanks

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey good thread. I have the 1028 hood off at the moment and will be reinstalling the new one after it's painted. I guess now is the time to insulate and do it right. I will post some pics during the process. Hows the MEP runnin...?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey good thread. I have the 1028 hood off at the moment and will be reinstalling the new one after it's painted. I guess now is the time to insulate and do it right. I will post some pics during the process. Hows the MEP runnin...?
Realize that when you are installing the under hood insulation blanket that the MIDDLE HOLE is actually smaller than all the rest and must be enlarged by two drill bit sizes if memory serves. If you do that first then you can use the large headed buttons that you can purchase in ALL the holes, other wise, you won't be able to put one in the middle hole, causing the middle to sag... ask me WHY I know this.

MEP is running well. I need to contact Scyros for some of the black nylon rope to replace a couple that did not make the trip so well and a couple of the ferrules they used to hold them in place. Plus I want to pick up three or four cans (or a quart or two) of the paint they used so I have some for touch up.