• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce is now WW or winch install pics.

ida34

I was able to get my winch back together. It was in great shape inside with not corrosion except for the mandatory rust in the brake housing. I was hoping to get the last seal I needed today. This was the PTO side worm gear seal. I was happy to find the box arrive with the mail. I was disappointed that I got a pilot bearing instead. The last 7 numbers of the NSN were the same as the seal so someone was not paying attention. I put everything back together and just left the PTO side cover on hand tight. It looks like there is plenty of room to get it off and replace it with the winch on the truck. I put the brackets on the case and fixed a stripped bolt hole for the top cover.
I then began work on removing the bumper and attaching the frame extensions. The first order of business was to take the shackles off. They were rusted stuck and the removal process mushroomed the heads. I even had to apply heat to help get it unstuck. Of course the acetylene lasted about a half a minute. It took about 15 minutes to remove the shackle pins. Everything else went very easy. I sprayed everything down with PB blaster first thing in the morning. Everything went back together well and got it all done.
I am glad I remembered to put the drive shaft in before putting the winch on the brackets. A point to anyone putting a winch on. Take the slip yoke off the PTO end of the drive shaft and and install it from the winch end through the opening under the radiator. The winch yoke is a tight fit to get it in from the rear with the winch installed so do your self a favor and put it in first before you do any install.
Next weekend I need to install the PTO and associated control parts. Then it will be time to play. I want to clean, relubricate, then rewrap the winch.

Enough talk. Here are the pictures.

Attachments

Armada

Nice job Chuck! Glad to see you finally got her put on. And a hoist is the only way to go for a winch install![thumbzup]
Even if you only ever use the winch once, it will still be worth the effort of putting one in.

Last edited:

ida34

Thank Paul. I still need to replace that pass side fender then I can start painting the thing. I found a place to rent a big sandblaster for $150 a day. I plan to put it to use.

wsucougarx

Ah yes, I will soon go from w/ow to w/w as well. My garage floor and my work bench are covered in GL-1 right now. I'm on the 3rd out of 3 winches that I am rebuilding. Replacing all the seals and cleaning up all the garbage on the insides. It's amazing how much ugly stuff resides in there:wink: Need a cherry picker though:roll:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've looked at so many winch trucks that they look naked without them to me now.

jwaller

Where does one source winches to add to wo/w trucks when you want the winch?

Cheers,

Clarke
the "internets". same places you would look to find all your regular deuce parts. all the surplus dealers will have them. you could prob even find most of it on here in the ad section.

bigelk50

Just have to look around some places sell them in the surplus or parts places like C&C equip, or Memphis etc.. I have found three that were on trucks that no one wanted, so I ended up with them.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks very much for your assistance, with these instructions I feel a lot more confident now!!!
Thanks again
Karl

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm guessing you had the camera in one hand, a beer in the other, and you let your wife do the whole winch installation herself!

The Dogs look happy. It looks like your wife did a great job installing the winch!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks