• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

long VS short airpack pics

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So a line to the old air pack didn't want to let go. I'll have to fix that fitting in the morning. Anyway, here are some pics of the old "long" pack next to the new "short" one. Overall they are the same length thanx to the stud on the back of the new one. Also different is the way the air cans are designed. The old one has studs that tend to break off when re-built, the new style is better. You should be able to see how it bolts up in the pics. Much sturdier. Last pic is my next swap, a spin on filter base.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

I'd say heck no. The old "long" one, I have a rebuild kit for. I can get that nsn tomorrow. The new "shorty" I have no idea. If you look at the pics, the old one has a square housing for the valve body and the new one has a triangle base. I saw no parts that interchange. Even the tube going to the big section of the can is different.

Barrman

Just a note. Those of you who have the old style and made up an adaptor to plumb air to it for flat towing will have to make up a new set of adaptors. They are not the same size on the back. I found this out the hard way 400 miles from home with all the parts to fit the long style and nothing but short style trucks.

gimpyrobb

That one will be primary. The secondarys will be next. I'm not sure the in and out plumbing will be easy with it, might get another one.

gimpyrobb

Sorry, no NSN today. I got the airpack on and adjusted the brakes and started on the throttle/vernier cable and got no farther. Thats about what I want Bill, thank you. Got any instal pics? :)

Bill W

"Got any instal pics? :smile: "
No not yet
I've just finished up on the rear of my deuce ( brakes,lines,seals,air tanks,spring packs /seats..oh and R & R'd the transfercase ) but I will be getting to the front in the next couple of weeks, if the damn thing doesn't do me in first!!!
I did have a spinon setup like this on my last deuce only single ports and everything fitted right up. The filter drain valve off the old canister fit on the NAPA/WIX 3405 spinon that I'llbe using (12micron)
I did have to make slight mod to frame bracket to mount the old unit ( and probably this one also )

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Gimpy, the sound of this thread is that you rebuilt your short style airpack. Where did you source the kit and do you have an NSN? All I can find is the long one.

gimpyrobb

I did not rebuild the shorty. It was new. I took some of it apart to see what was different. Alot was the answer.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't the Memphis Equipment auction in PA have a bunch of airpack kits? Were they the long or short and who got them?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Do the airpacks (specifically the shorties) have a hydraulic residual check valve?

welldigger

Hmm talk about an old thread coming back to life. But just so the info is out there tnj Murray has the short air pack rebuild kits. I have one and have disassembled my short air pack and verified it is indeed the correct kit. Mine was too destroyed to rebuild so I replaced it. Still have the kit just in case.

Also I have a few pictures of the insides of the short style if anyone is interested.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
And just how many right arms, first born children and gold bits did TNJ want for this elusive rebuild kit?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks