• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

long VS short airpack pics

Jeepsinker

In the first pic of this thread... Is that brake light switch on the fluid side, or the air side? I need to replace mine and I'm not sure which switch I need. Don't want to take it off and find out I got the wrong switch and have to bleed the brakes and do it all over again later.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why don't you ask the contact you have with a rebuilder?

Surely they could answer this question(residual valve).

Do they rebuild both long and short?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
In the first pic of this thread... Is that brake light switch on the fluid side, or the air side? I need to replace mine and I'm not sure which switch I need. Don't want to take it off and find out I got the wrong switch and have to bleed the brakes and do it all over again later.
In the top left of the first pic, that is the pressure switch on the fluid side. They can fail and leak brake fluid, essentially giving you no brakes. I recommend changing to the air side, if you have one like in the first pic.

welldigger

To answer peashooters question, no the short air pack has no check valves in it. Just threaded ports for brake fluid in and out.

rustystud

I swapped from a long one to a short one. The difference was amazing, but the long one was bad. Thats why I did the swap. You shouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two when driving a truck, thats why the fit in the same place. I will tell you, the short one has less parts in the rebuild kit than the long ones.

I looked up that part from Haldex, seems I should be able to get them for $140. Anyone able to find them cheaper?
Hey gimp, what was the part number from Haldex ? and who did you talk to about the price ? What store ?
Thanks.:grd:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't remember. When I looked I bought one for a spare. The notes I wrote down are now gone. If you need one I can see if I can dig them up.

Katahdin

Just a note. Those of you who have the old style and made up an adaptor to plumb air to it for flat towing will have to make up a new set of adaptors. They are not the same size on the back. I found this out the hard way 400 miles from home with all the parts to fit the long style and nothing but short style trucks.
I'm a little confused. If I'm not mistaken, the adapter Phil and Barrman inserted into the short air-pack on their M109 recovery trip used a 1/2 inch inverted flare fitting. I found the J-pipe on my long-air pack also uses 1/2 inch inverted flare fittings. So this same adapter can be used on both types of air-packs? Yes/No?

rustystud

I'm a little confused. If I'm not mistaken, the adapter Phil and Barrman inserted into the short air-pack on their M109 recovery trip used a 1/2 inch inverted flare fitting. I found the J-pipe on my long-air pack also uses 1/2 inch inverted flare fittings. So this same adapter can be used on both types of air-packs? Yes/No?

Which adapter are you talking about ?

Last edited:

Katahdin

This is the one.

2011-08-01_11-44-54_920.jpg

I made a similar one today and it seems to work fine in my long pak using shop air. I jacked a front wheel off the ground to see if the brakes engaged, they did. I plan to use the adapter to recover a short air pak truck on Monday.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks