• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extra storage

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GR,

On the tank side box, I recommend you build the mounting brackets for the box so that you can slide the box in and out for gaining access to the fuel pump in the tank.

Just put a few bolts in sideways to secure the box. Then you can remove the box for when it's time to get to the in tank pump.

Ats what Id do.

Rick

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thanks Rick, I have decided that since space is limited, I am going to put a fuel transfer tank in the bed and turn the space between the frame rails into a slide out tool box. I finally got that second "under bed box" to the fab shop. I should know sumptin sooner or later on having more made.

Love the avitar by the way.

rmgill

I think, now that I've got some welding under my belt (and kit to weld with) I'll be working on making some smaller under bed tool boxes on my truck so I can store extra tools more at hand and won't have to climb around in the bed of the truck.

I think I'll try to make a tool compartment like on the M54s bed in the front area.

I used the boxes off a LVS trailer, they were under bed mount. Put them on my work truck, after I added up the pay out on the Knuckleboom trailer, they are the only thing I've managed to use off the trailer. As for locks that last and are keyed the same, John Deere makes them pretty good.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think I am going to have to do something like this on my dropside. The odds of me using my pioneer rack are slim.

I'd like to do the same on the dumper, but the more weight I put in the front, the less material the bed can pick up.

gimpyrobb

Clinto, my guy has the spare box and is checking to see if production will be reasonable. I do have some other boxes I am making if you want measurements.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think I'd just want to have an exact copy of what you've done here. I think it's ideal. I don't have the equipment to fab a duplicate so I'd have to buy another one like yours or one of your pimp tight west coast copies.

AZDeuce

I'm interested in one, possibly two boxes, if it will clear the top of the fuel tank on the passenger side. I hung a tape measure from the bottom outside lip of the bed, and "eyeballed" it across the top of the fuel tank, and I believe you have 10" of clearance. So how deep is the box when properly mounted?

gimpyrobb

I'm interested in one, possibly two boxes, if it will clear the top of the fuel tank on the passenger side. I hung a tape measure from the bottom outside lip of the bed, and "eyeballed" it across the top of the fuel tank, and I believe you have 10" of clearance. So how deep is the box when properly mounted?
It wasn't even close to fitting over the fuel tank. Its been a while, but I think I figured out that it would have to be cut in half (height wise) to fit. The problem (for my dropside anyway) is that the bed support beams angle down to meet the frame.

gimpyrobb

I just cut the skirt off the bed so I could use the space under the bed, over the frame. LOTS of room under there. I'll try to get a pic up soon.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So now that you are back from the land of fruits and nuts, how long will it be before these are ready?

:D

gimpyrobb

I took my spare to 54reo. He has been busy with the family and work. Once he gets done customizing some of my other parts, he will look into making some up.

gimpyrobb

I'm not selling them, the guys found them at the rally. I haven't heard from 54reo, so I doubt they(reproductions) will be made.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks