• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

White smoke.....need assistance

usmc1985

Good morning to all my friends. Need your advice on this one. My M35 seems to be blowing white smoke when warm. Oil seems to be making its way out of the exhaust pipe and leaks from a flange onto the floor. Im assuming the smoke is from the oil. It looks like the Army replaced the head gaskets because the blue gasket sealer is still new. Im thinking of taking of the head cover and start from there. Any suggestions...I really appreciate it. I hope its nothing serious.

tjcouch

Well, I was going to say that it is possible that a new pope has been elected . . . . but this website is probably more useful. Colour of engine smoke and when it occurs tells about internal condition

Cut from the page above:

White smoke is caused by raw, unburnt fuel passing into the exhaust stream. Common causes include ..
Incorrect fuel injection timing
Defective fuel injectors
Low cylinder compression
Low cylinder compression may be caused by leaking valves, sticking piston rings, ring wear, cylinder wear, or cylinder glaze.

When white smoke occurs at cold start and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing.
Continuous evidence of white smoke indicates a mechanical defect, or incorrect fuel timing.

Water entering combustion spaces will also create white smoke. Faulty head gaskets and cracked cylinder heads or blocks are a common cause of water entry .. unfortunately, expensive mechanical repair is the only proper solution here.

GoHot229

I'm leaning twards the head problem and coolant escaping in ?? Are you getting those tale-tale little raindrops of black soot on the cab, fenders and surrounding area?
With the radiator cap off can you see bubbling, indicating coolant leak? The white smoke is typically water/coolant

Last edited:

JTugwell

does it continue to smoke after you have been driving a while? mine loads up on fuel when idled for a while. smokes a little at idle, smokes a lot on take off, and gear changes. dosent matter if its warm or not. once i run it a little ways everything clears up with no more smoke. (i guess thats normal) you say white smoke. have you checked your oil level to maybe get an idea on how much its burning?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does it smell like, oil or fuel? Oil, could be a turbo. Fuel, could just be from not working it or plugged filters. Plugged filters can have so much restriction across them that the fuel is actually pulled apart making air bubbles. That in turn changes the injection timing due to the pump trying to push the fuel with air in it into the cylinder...air compresses, fuel don't...late injection timing = white smoke, incomplete combustion.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the motor seem to be low on power or can you tell if it is running different from when you got it? You could try a running test by cracking each injector and see if one cyl. is a miss. If one cyl seems to be off I might do a compression test.

2Deuces wild

Also check the oil for fuel. A bad flame heater or fuel Density compensator. Trust me Im in the market for a new engine because if it:cry:

cvh20

I am having the same issue with white smoke. Today I drove around for an hour and still white smoke when I got back. It pours out when you step on the accelerator. No visible water in the oil, no bubbles in the radiator, no measurable loss off coolant, drained and cleaned the fuel tank, replaced all three filters. Running on new #2 diesel. Oil looks new at the dipstick. Truck makes good power. Is there a way for the turbo oil feed to leak into the exhaust and cause this? I seem to have a slow oil leak around the bottom of my turbo and am wondering if this could be part of the problem?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks like you are a newer member, how long have you had your truck? Has it always been like this or is it a new problem?

cvh20

I got this truck a few months ago and it was like this when I got it. Not sure if it could be related or not, but the truck wants to idle fast, about 1100 RPM. If you tap the accelerator, the RPMs briefly drop down, but then gradually creep back up over a 3 second period. When I adjust the idle screw, it only changes how far down the RPMs drop when you tap the accelerator. Then it creeps back up to 1100. I went through and tightened all the return lines because there was air in them, the air went mostly away. I removed and capped the fuel and return to the flame heater to eliminate that. The paint is chipped off the bolts and wire removed from one side of the fuel screw cover plate, so I am wondering if the guard guys messed around in there.

cvh20

Just remembered that when I started the truck for the first time a few months ago, after about 5 minutes of running, I discovered the oil feed for the turbo leaking (steadily dripping) and causing alot of smoke. Only took a few minutes to find, but it doesnt take long for the turbo to overheat I guess. This is a -C engine and you can not hear the turbo spool up or down when you hit the accelerator. Possible cause of white smoke? What is the best way to test the turbo operation?

gimpyrobb

Well, a "-C" motor does not mean its a "C" turbo. Can you get pics to post? The oil leak should be an easy fix. If it were me, I would remove the oil tube and make a new gasket for it out of a sheet of gasket material.

cvh20

SS does not seem to support .3gp (cellphone) video, so I had to upload it to youtube

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icKl7_zvfAY[/media]

x-ray

Just my 2 cents + experience, I bought a W/W truck from Indiantown Gap last year, ran great and good power, but consistant white smoke at start and at idle. Truck had low miles and signs of good recent (a few years) maint and rebuiling. A buddy of mine thought it was low compression and worn a little despite low milage. On the way back home we stopped at Kublos, and Ken there said - give it a good run, under load some time, add some marvel mystery oil as could very well be stuck rings from siting a long time.

Well after finally towing a heavy load for a few hundred miles, its cleared up immensely. Its almost a colorless now with a hint of white. If the truck has sat a very long time, might be worth giving it a good run (under load) and see if helps. I rarely gave my truck enough mileage to give it a good work out (its the one for show not for working) and I think they run better when I finally did give it a workout and helped with white smoke a bit.

gimpyrobb

Sorry, had to go do a work order. A pic of the turbo would help. Specificly the exhaust housing. I will have to check the vid at home. My work's "net nanny" blocks video. Have you checked the air filter?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks