• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Redneck A/C and tool boxes on my M820A2

goldneagle

My last major project on this M820A2 truck was the Super Single Conversion. Since I could not get the 1400-20 spare tire installed in the carrier behind the cab (due to its 550 pounds plus weight) I decided to use the space for other more desirable components. Since the truck has a liftgate I decided to install the spare tire inside the box in back. The liftgate makes it easy to get the tire in and out of the box in the back of the truck.

I decided to install 2 of the M818 tool boxes double stacked on the driver side and a 45 gallon vertical fuel tank on the passenger side of the truck. i also used the tool boxes as a support point for installing the 6200 BTU window A/C unit for the cab.

I started by removing the 2 tire carriers that held the spare tires in place behind the cab. I then removed the heavy angle frame that spanned across the frame of the truck. I welded some shallow Unistrut pieces across the frame to support the fuel tank as well as the tool boxes. After the paint dried i reinstalled the angle frame to its original position.

Unistrut is a U-chanel used by electrical contractors and plumbers to support pipes and equipment in commercial location. HILTI has the best selection of connectors and fittings that can be used with Unistrut.

I sanded and repainted the 2 tool boxes and then installed them in their new positions. I used some shallow Unistruts between the 2 tool boxes and they came out great! There are no exposed bolts so the tool boxes cannot be removed without getting excess inside them.

I installed Std. depth Unistrut behind the 2 tool boxes to use in supporting the A/C unit. I used a heavy duty Hilti brackets made for Unistrtut to support 2 horizontal Unistrut that will support the A/C unit from below. I cut and installed two 15" Unistruts on top of the horizontal that the A/C unit would slide and sit on.

I cut a 18 1/2" by 12" opening into the back window of the soft top. I installed an angle piece with 3/8" allthread attached. I lifted the A/C unit into place and secured it. I then installed another angle piece with allthread attached to it on the other side of the A/C unit. I took a piece of shallow Unistrut and ran it between the 2 allthreads to secure the A/C unit into place.

Thats all I got done so far... More tomorrow...

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
6200 BTU? Maybe my calculations are off. Maybe if the cab is sealed real tight. I think you need more like 20K minimum for the summer heat and engine heat and all. I've spec'd 30K as a good number for 100 degrees in TX. Do you plan to insulate the firewall and floor?

goldneagle

6200 BTU? Maybe my calculations are off. Maybe if the cab is sealed real tight. I think you need more like 20K minimum for the summer heat and engine heat and all. I've spec'd 30K as a good number for 100 degrees in TX. Do you plan to insulate the firewall and floor?
I am going to paint the firewall and floor with ceramic paint that is supposed to insulate the cab from the heat. The soft top is already insulated. I am not expecting ice cold but at least be comfortable. Anything is better than what it's like now!

Here is some info about the ceramic paint:

Insulating paint vs insulating additives for paint

Attachments

cbvet

Some good ideas, but I doubt the 900w inverter will start & run the AC.
I could be wrong! (It's happened twice, but I kept the house both times.)
Please let us know if it works.

goldneagle

I have only one thing to add need to paint the A/C unit green.
Other than that its all good
Yes it will be painted green today. i just want to make sure it works before i paint it all up. The A/C unit is rated about 600 watts. The inverter is 900 watts sustained and 1800 watt surge so i am well within the safety margin of the unit.

kc5mzd

I tried to run a ac unit off a power inverter and it didn't work. It had something to do with the way they regulate. They work better with a resistive load and mine seem to have problems with inductive loads - electric motors.

goldneagle

I tried to run a ac unit off a power inverter and it didn't work. It had something to do with the way they regulate. They work better with a resistive load and mine seem to have problems with inductive loads - electric motors.
Well I tested the A/C unit today by first using an extension cord plugged into the house. It seemed to run fine and gave lots of air movement. I temporarily installed the inverter using the jumper cables provided to power the inverter.

I plugged the A/C unit into the inverter and started it up. This was done with the engine off. The A/C unit seems to work fine!! So now we know it will run on the inverter.

I also finished attaching aluminum angles around the A/C unit to seal it to the soft top.

I also painted all the metal supports and the A/C exterior with OD green paint. I also sanded, primed and painted the secondary fuel tank.

I will have more pictures tomorrow..

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wow now your all set.. keep us updated first chance you have to drive it around using your air system... makes me want one now :roll:

chgofiveo

My last major project on this M820A2 truck was the Super Single Conversion. Since I could not get the 1400-20 spare tire installed in the carrier behind the cab (due to its 550 pounds plus weight) I decided to use the space for other more desirable components. Since the truck has a liftgate I decided to install the spare tire inside the box in back. The liftgate makes it easy to get the tire in and out of the box in the back of the truck.

I decided to install 2 of the M818 tool boxes double stacked on the driver side and a 45 gallon vertical fuel tank on the passenger side of the truck. i also used the tool boxes as a support point for installing the 6200 BTU window A/C unit for the cab.

I started by removing the 2 tire carriers that held the spare tires in place behind the cab. I then removed the heavy angle frame that spanned across the frame of the truck. I welded some shallow Unistrut pieces across the frame to support the fuel tank as well as the tool boxes. After the paint dried i reinstalled the angle frame to its original position.

Unistrut is a U-chanel used by electrical contractors and plumbers to support pipes and equipment in commercial location. HILTI has the best selection of connectors and fittings that can be used with Unistrut.

I sanded and repainted the 2 tool boxes and then installed them in their new positions. I used some shallow Unistruts between the 2 tool boxes and they came out great! There are no exposed bolts so the tool boxes cannot be removed without getting excess inside them.

I installed Std. depth Unistrut behind the 2 tool boxes to use in supporting the A/C unit. I used a heavy duty Hilti brackets made for Unistrtut to support 2 horizontal Unistrut that will support the A/C unit from below. I cut and installed two 15" Unistruts on top of the horizontal that the A/C unit would slide and sit on.

I cut a 18 1/2" by 12" opening into the back window of the soft top. I installed an angle piece with 3/8" allthread attached. I lifted the A/C unit into place and secured it. I then installed another angle piece with allthread attached to it on the other side of the A/C unit. I took a piece of shallow Unistrut and ran it between the 2 allthreads to secure the A/C unit into place.

Thats all I got done so far... More tomorrow...
Wow...You have brought redneck to a new level...whats next, a ceiling fan?
Wow

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks