• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head Gaskets/Freeze Plugs....It begins

Garandfan

I have read, read and re-read the forums and TMs. Clinto's write up was well done! I have learned alot and it is my turn to pay the favors forward. The PB Blaster has been doing it's magic. I start tear down today and will accompany with pics.

Josh

Garandfan

BOTH. The bolts on the top of the turbo suck! MORE PB! Gotta get the kid ready and gotta head off to work. The major stuff comes off tomorrow and will have pics.

Garandfan

Worked on it for 5 hours today. Removed the turbo, intake and exhaust manifold, thermostat housing. The bolts that connect the turbo to the exhaust manifold sucked. Broke one bolt completely. The front/right bolt is impossible to get at. The nut was stripped. Had to remove the manifold/turbo as a whole and will separate later. The gaskets were roached. I did find that the bolts that hold the intake can unscrew if the nut gets stuck. Got me worried that i was stripping something out. Pics to come when I get to the heads. 7 hours of work at this point, just me doing the work.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The bolts that connect the turbo to the exhaust manifold sucked. Broke one bolt completely. The front/right bolt is impossible to get at. The nut was stripped. Had to remove the manifold/turbo as a whole and will separate later.

I did find that the bolts that hold the intake can unscrew if the nut gets stuck. Got me worried that i was stripping something out.
Turbo bolts: Same here, that's why you can see the turbo still bolted to my manifold in my thread. Go ahead and replace all 4 and consider liberally coating with anti-seize.

Intake studs & buts: Same here. I had a few nuts that were so tight, they caused the stud to unscrew. I tried to source replacements (even from the local Hercules dealer, via a John Deere dealer) and no one had the right size and pitches. A specialty fastener company will probably have them. I can't remember of those studs go into a water jacket, if they do, use RTV sealer.

JasonS

Turbo bolts: Same here, that's why you can see the turbo still bolted to my manifold in my thread. Go ahead and replace all 4 and consider liberally coating with anti-seize.

Intake studs & buts: Same here. I had a few nuts that were so tight, they caused the stud to unscrew. I tried to source replacements (even from the local Hercules dealer, via a John Deere dealer) and no one had the right size and pitches. A specialty fastener company will probably have them. I can't remember of those studs go into a water jacket, if they do, use RTV sealer.
I've had the best luck using loctite to seal studs into water jackets. Especially if the threads are a bit worn in the block/ head.

Garandfan

I have pics, but first a write up.

To remove the exhaust manifold and turbo together. The water jacket has to be removed first. There is no other way than this. First remove all but 2 top nuts on the exhaust manifold. I left a few threads on the 2 top nuts to have enough to pull the exhaust manifold as far from the head as possible but enough to hold it on. Then remove the water jacket by rolling it up then pulling it out. I was surprised at how many nuts were loose!:shock:

Garandfan

Tonight I cleaned the mating surfaces of the water outlet manifolds, the exhaust manifold elbow, and the thermostat housing. I noticed there was a lot of sealant as opposed to actual gaskets. As you can see, I cut the hoses on everything as I believe in putting on fresh hoses. next I will be scraping the old gaskets off and will start on the injectors. I left the valve covers on for now.

Now for my questions:

Should I use RTV sealant or the actual gaskets?
Should I clean the turbo? If so, how should I clean it? Kerosene?
How do I Identify a bad injector and how do I clean them?

BTW NEW STYLE HEAD GASKETS ARRIVED TODAY!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Should I use RTV sealant or the actual gaskets?
Should I clean the turbo? If so, how should I clean it? Kerosene?
How do I Identify a bad injector and how do I clean them?
I used gaskets as I had purchased an engine gasket set, but RTV would be fine.
Clean what, the gasket mounting surface? I use the 3M rotary discs, just make sure no material makes it into the turbo.
Do not know for sure, but I believe a diesel shop has to do this, they have equipment which tests flow, spray pattern, etc.

Now that I have it apart. Freeze plugs or no? I am doubting myself!:-|
Of course you should. Remember the title of my thread? "All this for a freeze plug?" Why would you not replace them? They are cheap and easy to replace and I even posted the sizes & Dorman part #'s in my thread.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Are you talking about the intake/exhaust gasket?

YES, use a gasket, RTV wont work as an exhaust gasket.
Yes, ditto. When I read his post, I thought he was referring to the water manifolds on top of the heads.

Garandfan

I was referring to the RTV on the water connections not the exhaust manifold connections. I heard for exhaust manifold mating surfaces, Elmer's glue and Play Doh work really well!:-o Anyway on a serious note, any advice on cleaning a turbo? what to use, what not to screw aound with?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'd leave the turbo alone, if it was working before, it should be fine. Big thing to check for is excessive end play. There is a spec, but I'm not sure what the number is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks