• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head Gaskets/Freeze Plugs....It begins

Garandfan

WHAT!? I thought I was replacing a windshield wiper! Sorry, but I am having a difficult time holding in the sarcasm with those last 2 posts. On a serious note, I am behind on my pics and my work. Gotta take care of a 2 1/2 year old and then I work second shift. Slow progress. I am indeed changing the head gaskets. This is a step by step write up. And yes the exhaust manifold gasket will get replaced and about 14 other gaskets....I figure I ll do the compressor and oil cooler while I have it apart.

BIG THANKS TO M35TOM FOR THE GASKETS AND SPEEDY SHIPMENT!
BIG THANKS TO CLINTO! Still using your forum/pics for references.

My B-Day is coming up. Anyone have a C turbo they want to part ways with?

Last edited:

dieselsmokem35a2

WHAT!? I thought I was replacing a windshield wiper! Sorry, but I am having a difficult time holding in the sarcasm with those last 2 posts. On a serious note, I am behind on my pics and my work. Gotta take care of a 2 1/2 year old and then I work second shift. Slow progress. I am indeed changing the head gaskets. This is a step by step write up. And yes the exhaust manifold gasket will get replaced and about 14 other gaskets....I figure I ll do the compressor and oil cooler while I have it apart.

BIG THANKS TO M35TOM FOR THE GASKETS AND SPEEDY SHIPMENT!
BIG THANKS TO CLINTO! Still using your forum/pics for references.

My B-Day is coming up. Anyone have a C turbo they want to part ways with?
Hey Bud, I want detailed pics of that oil cooler coming off! :lol::lol: How about I just drop of my Deuce and you can do mine while you are at it!? Just messing with ya. Let me know if you work on it this weekend, I don't have much going on.....well, not that I have been told anyway! BTW, I put the Banks airbox on and now I can't hear the turbo sing anymore! I think I am going to put that cone filter back on the M1008. It's at the tranny shop today getting serviced. Still trying to track down my oil leaks. I have a sneaky feeling the main seal is still leaking. Ugh!

Garandfan

Made a lot of progress today, 9 hours of work. I figured if the intake manifold studs unscrewed out of the head, I replace them all with new. I go to MPT Fastener, nothing. so I went to the Army depot in Twinsburg. After about 45 mins of them trying to cross reference the stud, THEY COULD NOT IDENTIFY THE PART!!!!:evil: Great guys to work with though. They invited me back to poke around on their toys! They referred me to FASTENAL up the street. They found the stud I was looking for at about $1.25 per stud....OUCH!!! So they are on order. Anyway... The write up continues.

Garandfan

I took off the manifold gaskets and cleaned as much of the crud out of the exhaust manifold as I could. Then I took off the valve covers and rocker arms and injectors/lines. You have to remove the clamps on the lines or you will not be able to remove the lines out of the injectors or move them out of the way for that matter. The injectors were stuck in the ports. The TMs have a DIY slide hammer for the job, but it was not needed. I used a small rubber mallet and tapped the bottom flange. DON"T BEAT ON THEM! It will take time, but they will loosen up. The injector by the compressor was more work because there was not a lot of room, so I used the handle on a crescent wrench-JUST TAP TAP TAP! Then I started on the head bold nuts.... What a pain. I heard of guys spinning the bolt so I loosened at an 1/8 of a turn until they spun freely. I worked on them in this sequence, 1. Passenger Side, 2. Middle, 3. Driver's Side. The Passenger Side and Middle, I used a breaker bar and an impact socket. REMEMBER: TURN IN SMALL INCREMENTS!!!. For the Driver's Side nuts, I DID NOT USE THE HEAD WRENCH! I didn't want to break it loosening them up. Instead I used a closed end box wrench that had a about a 30 degree bend at the ends. STILL WAS A PITA! I just used a bigger rubber mallet to loosen the nuts. TOOK FOREVER! The nut that gave me the most headache was by the firewall. I got it to a point where I thought I could loosen it with my fingers, but the thing fought me until the bitter end. Turning probably a 1/16 at a time all the way up. Then I ran out of room and could not put the wrench on the nut, so I had to use a flat head screwdriver to spin the nut, then use the wrench, then the screwdriver, then the wrench. Just used the head as a brace for the screwdriver and torqued it against the angle on the nut. I did remove the oil cooler to get at the nut behind it. Then after about 1.5 hours they were off. UGH.

Garandfan

Removing the oil cooler was not hard at all. I am replacing the gasket anyway on it. The worst part about it was the nuts on the back side because you had to feel your way around to put the socket on them. I DID NOT disconnect the fuel filters. I simply unbolted the bracket and let rest against the steering shaft and block. Then I just tapped the housing with a rubber mallet a couple of times then pried it lose. Then I did the same with the cooling tubes. Just pulls right out. Some oil will leak out and some coolant. NO WORRIES, THIS IS NORMAL! Then it was off! So then I climbed back in the truck to start yanking the heads off. I pried them lose a bit. I did not use a crane or hoist. I just straddled the head with one leg on the frame and the other on the fender. THEN HEAVE, HO as straight up as possible then I put the head on the other fender on a pad. I dismounted the truck to get the head out of my way and secure it. Then same process as the rear one. LABEL EVERYTHING AND THE DIRECTION THE PART GOES TO STAY ORGANIZED! ALSO LABEL THE RODS AS TO WHICH PORT THEY CAME OUT OF. To stow them away, I got a box, poked a hole and put the rods in the box standing up. Label where they came from!

charlietango

hey man, I was just looking out for you. Never know, and like I said I assumed it was just a matter of you being behind in photos.

that said, What a nightmare of a job. good luck with the remainder!

Garandfan

OOPS! Pics didnt upload. Will post later. No offense taken Charlie! I'm just sarcastic. Job isnt a nightmare. It's just a big jigsaw puzzle and takes a long time. I am actually enjoying it!

Garandfan

Next project is going to be cleaning the heads, deck, pistons and sleeves. I need advice on what to clean the with. Kerosene? Parts cleaner? Scotchbrite pads? Also I will need advice on how and what to use to clean the injectors. Then it will be on to replacing the freeze plugs in the heads. I'm going to drop the oil pan and clean it. What else should I clean on the lower half and with what? Also I will flush out the radiator and water pump. After seeing oil in the coolant and the crud on the heads, I can only imagine what's in the pan, radiator and water pump.

BTW: I had a version of the new style gaskets. They were hardened. It seems they leaked right by the exhaust ports and there was a ton of exhaust/oil crud.

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
no need to keep the push rods in any order, you will be adjusting all the valves anyway. clean the block deck surface with a small scraper that is very sharp. you can use it as a scraper for the large chunks and drag it like a razor to really clean the rest. to check the valves fill the ports with parts cleaning solution, it should not leak past valve. did you get the instruction sheet with the gaskets??

tom

Garandfan

Thanks for the reply Tom. I looked for the directions in the package, there were none. That's ok! If you want to send a PDF file in email, I'm fine with that. I am unclear about filling the ports with parts cleaner to check the valves. Can you clarify? Work on the truck is slowing down for this week. I'm fighting rain, daddy day care and work! I'm going to do what I can, like cleaning parts and I have to pull the oil pan to get the crud out Also, need advice on cleaning the injectors! I want to do it right.

charlietango

as far as I was told about checking valves is you fill up the intake/exhaust port with fluid with the valve seated in the closed position. if you get seepage you have a bad seat (or bent valve.)

great photos

Garandfan

Took off the tappet cover, the oil cooler, compressor and support. all pretty straight for removal. Some bolts were a pain and took a little more wrench maneuvering. I gave them a good cleaning and inspection, replaced the gaskets and reinstalled. Tomorrow, the plan is to clean the heads and replace all the freeze plugs, clean the rockers and valve covers.

Garandfan

The heads are almost done. They are cleaned. I ran out of 3/4" freeze plugs. I need 4 more. They were easy like Clinto said. Just hit the outer edge and they rotate, then pull with pliers. I used a socket to reinstall the freeze plugs. I'll have more pics.

Garandfan

I really appreciate the 778 views on my thread and the helpful, supportive words from the members! But if you need to replace you head gaskets, reading this thread will not get them done! YOU SHOULD BE WORKING!!!!:grd:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couple of warnings. You may have already read in other threads.

Do not rotate the engine with the heads off. The piston sleeves can pop out of the block, and piston can fall out of them. I strapped a piece of wood over top of them so I could rotate the engine and clean the cylinder bores.

Make sure the freeze plugs are tight in the bore. Any doubt, use green sleeve retaining loctite on them. I had more than one freeze plug pop loose.

Dennis

charlietango

I really appreciate the 778 views on my thread and the helpful, supportive words from the members! But if you need to replace you head gaskets, reading this thread will not get them done! YOU SHOULD BE WORKING!!!!:grd:
haha.. I have deadlines with my truck this year. After August I will start doing some overhaul, hence why I am watching this thread closely ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks