• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ROLL CALL: "West Texas Detachment" Identify Yourselves, Please.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So... Is there an East Texas Detachment???
[thumbzup] Well, at this point in life, I'm unaware of one.

Why don't your START ONE :?: Step up, Soldier, and be a leader :!:

Your Profile DOES NOT mention your City - only Texas. (that isn't very helpful).

Bear in mind, we are a "detachment" due to the limited membership numbers and the many miles between us. Generally, there is a higher population density and MV ownership in your side of the state. Depending on your specific location, you might consider a smaller region to define your "territory".

I say - GO FOR IT :grd:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HawkeyeMech:
Sure ! By signing up, subscribing to this this thread, you'll be in the loop for upcoming event announcements, etc. WELCOME aboard [thumbzup]

So far, the bulk of the activity has been parades - and the only "detachment" involvement was rallying 3 MV's for the Hunt For Heroes Parade.
-----------------

Here's a quick list of the 2011 events that I'm aware of...

May 21 (Armed Forces Day): San Angelo Chamber of Commerce Goodfellow (AFB) Appreciation Day at the Goodfellow Rec Camp (Lake Nasworthy).

July 4th (sometime that weekend): Patriots Parade and Pops Concert, Downtown San Angelo.

September 11th: 9-11 Rememberence Ceremony at the Concho River Celebration Bridge and 9-11 Monument.

October ??: Angelo State University Homecoming Parade

November 11: Veterens Day at Fairmount Cemetery, San Angelo, AND Veterans Salute at the Viet Nam Veterans Memorial (Huey Helicopter) at Mathis Field Regional/Municipal Airport, San Angelo, TX.

Mid-November: Hunt for Heroes Parade, Santa Fe Park and along the Concho River, San Angelo, TX. Last year, the parade participants were invited (no charge) to an evening Bar-B-Que at a one of the nearby ranches where the Hunt is held for the Disabled Hero guests of honor.

Mid-December: Christmas Lights Parade, Downtown San Angelo, TX

-----------
Details and additional events will be posted in this thread as information becomes available.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2011 Goodfellow Appreciation Day

I know this is somewhat short notice, but THIS SATURDAY the following event happening....

May 21 (Armed Forces Day): San Angelo Chamber of Commerce Goodfellow (AFB) Appreciation Day at the Goodfellow Rec Camp (Lake Nasworthy).

Primarily, it is sponsored, hosted, volunteer-manned, and funded by the San Angelo Chamber of Commerce.

Since I am a former USAF Goodfellow Vet, a member of the Chamber of Commerce, and supporter of the project, I am volunteering for "duty" (KP, Serving Line, Trash Detail, ???) at the rec camp. Their "organizational meeting is Tuesday afternnon (Tuesday) and I will be attending. I intend to take the Deuce out and simply park it in a conspicuous place with a flag on her.

If anyone else is interested in volunteering, please let me know ASAP and we'll procede from there.

steelandcanvas

John, This next week the Wife and I will be in Eastern Texas, Mineola to be exact. We are going to our Nephew's High School Graduation, and will be there for a few days. Any S/S Members down in that neck of the woods that wouldn't mind a visit?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jonathan,
You'll be on the other side of the I-35 Corridor, about 25 miles north-ish of Tyler, TX.

The West Texas Detachment is mostly those of us in the more sparsely polulated western side of I-35.

I don't know how many, if any, East Texas SS are subscribed to this thread, but some may already be getting pinged on it.

I know there are SS Members in the Tyler area - You might try to shout out to them in a New Thread that will get their attention. But I cannot think of their handles at the moment.

I'm frequently dreaming of a resurrection of the Member Map. I know it's on the site's to-do-list, but it sure would be handy for you now.

Congrats to the graduate. My step-daughter is also graduating Friday 5/27 from high school.
Have a safe and fun trip.

John

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is somewhat short notice, but THIS SATURDAY the following event happening....

Primarily, it is sponsored, hosted, volunteer-manned, and funded by the San Angelo Chamber of Commerce.

Since I am a former USAF Goodfellow Vet, a member of the Chamber of Commerce, and supporter of the project, I am volunteering for "duty" (KP, Serving Line, Trash Detail, ???) at the rec camp. Their "organizational meeting is Tuesday afternnon (Tuesday) and I will be attending. I intend to take the Deuce out and simply park it in a conspicuous place with a flag on her.

If anyone else is interested in volunteering, please let me know ASAP and we'll procede from there.
Info UPDATE:

This event is a somewhat limited-attendance affair.

2600 typically JUNIOR enlisted will be there for BBQ, fun and frolic. The others on the grounds will be the volunteers - mostly Chamber of Commerce Members - and a spattering of dignitaries (aka: dingy-taries).

As one of those Member volunteers, I will be there with The ARK, but that's really just because it's what I'll be driving Saturday anyway. I've been promised a "prominent" parking space, but that's about it.

I'll post some pics following the event.

John

Maverick1701

John, This next week the Wife and I will be in Eastern Texas, Mineola to be exact. We are going to our Nephew's High School Graduation, and will be there for a few days. Any S/S Members down in that neck of the woods that wouldn't mind a visit?

I am going to be in the dallas area and around nacogdoches from thurs/monday of next week. Let me know if you want to grab a bite to eat somewhere. I go right through Mineola on my way from dallas-> Nac

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have created a West Texas Detachment MEMBER MAP via Google Maps.

SS West Texas Detachment Member Map - Google Maps

Based on the information previously collected in this thread, I think it's accurate.

If anyone has corrections (or if you'd rather not be shown on the map) please let me know either within this thread or by PM.

I hope all are doing well.
Thank you!
John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks