• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ROLL CALL: "West Texas Detachment" Identify Yourselves, Please.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So... Is there an East Texas Detachment???
[thumbzup] Well, at this point in life, I'm unaware of one.

Why don't your START ONE :?: Step up, Soldier, and be a leader :!:

Your Profile DOES NOT mention your City - only Texas. (that isn't very helpful).

Bear in mind, we are a "detachment" due to the limited membership numbers and the many miles between us. Generally, there is a higher population density and MV ownership in your side of the state. Depending on your specific location, you might consider a smaller region to define your "territory".

I say - GO FOR IT :grd:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HawkeyeMech:
Sure ! By signing up, subscribing to this this thread, you'll be in the loop for upcoming event announcements, etc. WELCOME aboard [thumbzup]

So far, the bulk of the activity has been parades - and the only "detachment" involvement was rallying 3 MV's for the Hunt For Heroes Parade.
-----------------

Here's a quick list of the 2011 events that I'm aware of...

May 21 (Armed Forces Day): San Angelo Chamber of Commerce Goodfellow (AFB) Appreciation Day at the Goodfellow Rec Camp (Lake Nasworthy).

July 4th (sometime that weekend): Patriots Parade and Pops Concert, Downtown San Angelo.

September 11th: 9-11 Rememberence Ceremony at the Concho River Celebration Bridge and 9-11 Monument.

October ??: Angelo State University Homecoming Parade

November 11: Veterens Day at Fairmount Cemetery, San Angelo, AND Veterans Salute at the Viet Nam Veterans Memorial (Huey Helicopter) at Mathis Field Regional/Municipal Airport, San Angelo, TX.

Mid-November: Hunt for Heroes Parade, Santa Fe Park and along the Concho River, San Angelo, TX. Last year, the parade participants were invited (no charge) to an evening Bar-B-Que at a one of the nearby ranches where the Hunt is held for the Disabled Hero guests of honor.

Mid-December: Christmas Lights Parade, Downtown San Angelo, TX

-----------
Details and additional events will be posted in this thread as information becomes available.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2011 Goodfellow Appreciation Day

I know this is somewhat short notice, but THIS SATURDAY the following event happening....

May 21 (Armed Forces Day): San Angelo Chamber of Commerce Goodfellow (AFB) Appreciation Day at the Goodfellow Rec Camp (Lake Nasworthy).

Primarily, it is sponsored, hosted, volunteer-manned, and funded by the San Angelo Chamber of Commerce.

Since I am a former USAF Goodfellow Vet, a member of the Chamber of Commerce, and supporter of the project, I am volunteering for "duty" (KP, Serving Line, Trash Detail, ???) at the rec camp. Their "organizational meeting is Tuesday afternnon (Tuesday) and I will be attending. I intend to take the Deuce out and simply park it in a conspicuous place with a flag on her.

If anyone else is interested in volunteering, please let me know ASAP and we'll procede from there.

steelandcanvas

John, This next week the Wife and I will be in Eastern Texas, Mineola to be exact. We are going to our Nephew's High School Graduation, and will be there for a few days. Any S/S Members down in that neck of the woods that wouldn't mind a visit?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jonathan,
You'll be on the other side of the I-35 Corridor, about 25 miles north-ish of Tyler, TX.

The West Texas Detachment is mostly those of us in the more sparsely polulated western side of I-35.

I don't know how many, if any, East Texas SS are subscribed to this thread, but some may already be getting pinged on it.

I know there are SS Members in the Tyler area - You might try to shout out to them in a New Thread that will get their attention. But I cannot think of their handles at the moment.

I'm frequently dreaming of a resurrection of the Member Map. I know it's on the site's to-do-list, but it sure would be handy for you now.

Congrats to the graduate. My step-daughter is also graduating Friday 5/27 from high school.
Have a safe and fun trip.

John

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is somewhat short notice, but THIS SATURDAY the following event happening....

Primarily, it is sponsored, hosted, volunteer-manned, and funded by the San Angelo Chamber of Commerce.

Since I am a former USAF Goodfellow Vet, a member of the Chamber of Commerce, and supporter of the project, I am volunteering for "duty" (KP, Serving Line, Trash Detail, ???) at the rec camp. Their "organizational meeting is Tuesday afternnon (Tuesday) and I will be attending. I intend to take the Deuce out and simply park it in a conspicuous place with a flag on her.

If anyone else is interested in volunteering, please let me know ASAP and we'll procede from there.
Info UPDATE:

This event is a somewhat limited-attendance affair.

2600 typically JUNIOR enlisted will be there for BBQ, fun and frolic. The others on the grounds will be the volunteers - mostly Chamber of Commerce Members - and a spattering of dignitaries (aka: dingy-taries).

As one of those Member volunteers, I will be there with The ARK, but that's really just because it's what I'll be driving Saturday anyway. I've been promised a "prominent" parking space, but that's about it.

I'll post some pics following the event.

John

Maverick1701

John, This next week the Wife and I will be in Eastern Texas, Mineola to be exact. We are going to our Nephew's High School Graduation, and will be there for a few days. Any S/S Members down in that neck of the woods that wouldn't mind a visit?

I am going to be in the dallas area and around nacogdoches from thurs/monday of next week. Let me know if you want to grab a bite to eat somewhere. I go right through Mineola on my way from dallas-> Nac

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have created a West Texas Detachment MEMBER MAP via Google Maps.

SS West Texas Detachment Member Map - Google Maps

Based on the information previously collected in this thread, I think it's accurate.

If anyone has corrections (or if you'd rather not be shown on the map) please let me know either within this thread or by PM.

I hope all are doing well.
Thank you!
John