• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Uh, oh! Anti-freeze In the Oil

dabtl

I changed the oil today. It appeared some anti freeze is in the oil. The radiator also seems pressurized without it having been started in a couple of weeks. Not a lot of pressure just some.

Head gasket?

bassetdeuce

Residual pressure in the radiator can hang around for a long time. If you get antifreeze in the oil, but no oil in the antifreeze, I would suspect the oil cooler is bad/leaking. If there is oil in the antifreeze, or if antifreeze is being consumed/rapidly blowing out from overpressure, I would suspect a head gasket.

11ACR-LT

Can the oil cooler be repaired or does it need to be replaced ? My M35 gets a small amount of coolant in the crankcase also, maybe 2 pints in the high part of the pan, the oil never shows any sign of coolant mixing and the coolant is clean ( radiator and what comes out of the pan both)
Thoughts ?

Nonotagain

I changed the oil today. It appeared some anti freeze is in the oil. The radiator also seems pressurized without it having been started in a couple of weeks. Not a lot of pressure just some.

Head gasket?

DABTL,

How involved in the repair do you want to get?

You could remove each injector and look for evidence of antifreeze. While the injector is removed, pressurize the cooling system and listen for a hissing sound in the cylinder with the injector removed. If the hiss is detected, the head gasket needs replacement.

The oil cooler can be pressurized and leak checked.

Given the number of head gasket failures reported in the past, chances are good that the head gasket is the source of the leak.

dabtl

I am starting with the oil cooler. A new one from Memphis is on the way. I will order a gasket set from TNJ Murray if that does not cure the problem.

We had a similar problem last year on a M113 and the oil radiator was cracked. That required removing the engine and a complete dismantle because it was internal. This is at least accessible.

Last edited:

dabtl

Changed out the oil cooler. Simple task. Drain the antifreeze, no oil in it, move the secondary fuel filters out of the way, three nuts to remove, and disconnect the last three injectors lines at the cylinder head and bend the lines just enough for clearance. Took an hour or so.

There are two o-rings to replace, also. One, they were red, showed a black ring around its circumference which might indicate it had failed.

At any rate, now we just watch and see what happens next.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had oil coolers fail - always oil in antifreeze, and lots of it. After the replacement of the cooler, I flushed cooling system with dish washer soap, several times to remove the oil. Oil pressure is far greater then cooling system pressure. Gasket type failures usually go the other way. Antifreeze into the oil. When the engine cools, coolant seeps into the oil.

Lee in Alaska

Mackfire68

I had the oil cooler fail on my Mack Fire Truck, anti-freeze in the oil and oil in the anti-freeze. I presurized the cooling system and disconected the oil lines to the cooler. Anti-freeze poured out of the oil lines. Replaced the cooler and flushed the cooling system and changed the oil. Problem solved. :)

Nonotagain

I had thought about pressure testing the oil cooler. But, how? It probably is quite simple and I am quite dumb. :shock:
Easiest way is to cap the inlet and outlet and submerse in hot water. The hot water will cause an internal pressure increase which will show bubbles.

This method has used in the aircraft industry for verifying that components are sealed from water intrusion.

RANDYDIRT

If it was the oil cooler, oil would be in the anti freeze because oil pressure is greater than cooling system pressure. I would suspect head gasket.
Hmmmmmm. What happens when you shut off the engine? The oil pressure drops while the cooling system stays pressurized. Poof... instant antifreeze in the oil.

Dirt

dabtl

I retrieved the old oil cooler from the junk pile and will test it this weekend for a leak. After the removal and replacement, I kind of think the fault probably was in the o-rings. But, I am curious and will try the hot water idea out just for fun.:D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks