• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Uh, oh! Anti-freeze In the Oil

Bad Karma

Keep everyone posted on this. No one knows what goes wrong on these engines. The military just pulled them out and replaced them. The rebuild facility just rebuilt them without telling the operators what was wrong.

We learn here from experience. I pulled my heads three times before finally figuring it out.
Roger That :beer:

dabtl

By the way, for anyone trying to figure out where the water is coming from, remove the injectors one by one while turning the engine over. My engine had a number three cylinder gasket blown. Replaced the gaskets. Moved the front head to the rear. Started motor and blew the number six cylinder gasket blow out. Removed the injector, turned the engine over and anti-freeze water squirted out a foot or more.

This is how we figured out the crack in the intake or exhaust port on the head. New head, no problems.

dabtl

Just an update for now. I have driven the winch deuce in several parades since the head change. (I do not have any other use for it) Driven several hundred miles.

On the first run I opened the oil fill cap and looked at it. Some trace indicators of anti-freeze on the cap. I figured it was residual antifreeze that had been hiding in the nooks and crannies. With temp applied it would all evaporate and clear up. I just wiped the traces off the cap.

This morning I again removed the cap. Nothing but nice clean oil. Looks like all that time I spent as a kid messing with Model A Fords and V8 Chevys was not wasted. These engines are not plug and play like modern cars.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks