• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking to buy a HMMWV, What do i look for?

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you planning on adding an exhaust system for performance purposes or for noise issues. These trucks are actually quiet in stock form.
Interior and exterior noise......I don't want to wake the wife every time I go out philandering at 2:am....lol

Action

Going to pull the trigger on a 1990 M988 4 door with 6.2 the day after Christmas. I have two issues that concern me (1) I can't drive 55...does this mean I will need to re-gear both difs? (2) Want to tone down the noise level and I am think soundproofing for the interior, and adding a new exhaust...any ideas on sound proofing, exhaust, and increasing top speed? ...note, I know the head gaskets won't fair well if I go pedal to metal all the time, so I need an increase in speed to 65 or better with moderate rpms.
Look for something else...or put in a turbo with 4-speed overdrive trans. or sit in it on the back of a flatbed and let him tow you at 65.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to pull the trigger on a 1990 M988 4 door with 6.2 the day after Christmas. I have two issues that concern me (1) I can't drive 55...does this mean I will need to re-gear both difs? (2) Want to tone down the noise level and I am think soundproofing for the interior, and adding a new exhaust...any ideas on sound proofing, exhaust, and increasing top speed? ...note, I know the head gaskets won't fair well if I go pedal to metal all the time, so I need an increase in speed to 65 or better with moderate rpms.
then buy an m1123....nothing your gonna to get that from the 6.2 and 3spd trans

BLK HMMWV

I got to ask why your buying it?
Buy a civilian H1 if you want quiet and speed and creature comforts.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am buying it because it's one of the most solid 4x4's ever made and I have never seen another that's looks as good. It's American made and that's all I'll buy. In the course of 2 years, I probably rode in over 50 different Humvees (25 years ago), so I have a good feel for what they can do, and can't do, but I am not a mechanic. Anyway, I bought two from Fort Hood and I will get it figured out. The 1991 M988 I got for $6000.00 drove right up the trailer once I repaired a fuel line and connected the batteries. The 1985 was leaking from the front dif, not the transmission as govplanet.com stated...which is cool as that was an easy fix. I did consider an M1123, but all those up for auction right now look like they need a lot of work...even those with only a few miles. The 1985 tops out at 62 MPH, but I'll suck it up and just hang at 55 so not to stress the motor. The 1991 is about the same. There are four more at Fort Sam (two with 6.5L's) that will land in the auction in early February. Hope to get one of those too......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks