• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking to buy a HMMWV, What do i look for?

eisenhe

I think it's also worth mentioning that if you find something close to what you want, anything else can be added easily, and anything you dislike can be removed just as easily later.
:deadhorse:

Katavic918

questions about buying a hmmwv

Lets try this again. I have 2 questions about what to look for in a hmmwv. Price and engine. I found a couple for around $18k. These are non restored good condition and around 25k miles. Is this the going rate? Also, do I want the 6.2 or the 6.5? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6.5 is an improved 6.2 with block and head issues fixed by GM. Price is subjective. If you're interested in unrestored you might consider getting one off govplanet and probably pay less than 18, but don't forget to figure in their fees.
Bulldogger

3000gt

Look at ironplanet.
Go with 6.5 on m998 or m1038. This way u know engine was replaced if built in 1985 to early 90's. Turbo 400 is bulletproof so transmission shouldn't worry you. If the body is dented up pass on it cause the vehicles have a million rivets in them . Hard to do body work etc.
Expect to pay 8-12k for running truck.
Doors (soft or hard) cost 1-2k
200 alternator upgrade 200 dollars kit another 60
Water pump 80 dollars

FYI never trust the miles!!!!!!!!!!

Easy to work on and fun to drive

dk8019

I bought a decent looking M998 for $5.5k before fees, I'll likely have $7.5k to get it here etc, and then a little more to set it right, but it runs and has most all of the parts already. If you intended to use it as they are being sold, an off road wheeler (farm truck for me) then I don't see how you couldn't get in under $10k. The 6.5 is the way to go of course as has been said.

Otherwise::deadhorse:

Katavic918

Engine choice sounds pretty clear. Thanks for the help. I think mine is going to be more expensive based on my intended use.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just be sure to account for the buyer fees and sales taxes. Depending on where you live this can be an additional 20% on your purchase price. Oh, then there's transportation to get it home. None of these can be driven away running or not.

Texas187

Hey man, just picked up my govplanet humvee last Thur. Havnt had a chance really run through it but did take it for a quick spin...freaking love it. It has the 6.5L and is the only one ive been in so cant compare as to the 6.2L. But I think its good to consider, and there are a few up for auction at the moment. I paid ~a bit over 17K for mine but it was a nicer unit in my opinion. My watch list at the time went for around 8.5k to 16.5K, had about 6 listed which all were 6.2L. Haven't read the above posts so apologies if repetitive but you can do a history auction search to get an idea of what the went for and condition. Good Luck...

Katavic918

Nice. Congratulations. I'll be bidding on one next week. I would definitely like a 6.5 but I won't pass up a nice condition 6.2 if I can get it for the right price. How long did it take for you euc to clear? What how much over your bid price did you end up paying with fees and taxes? I'm pretty excited about this. I just dont like not being able to go over something before I buy it. Guess I'll just have to jump in the water and see what happens.

Texas187

Nice. Congratulations. I'll be bidding on one next week. I would definitely like a 6.5 but I won't pass up a nice condition 6.2 if I can get it for the right price. How long did it take for you euc to clear? What how much over your bid price did you end up paying with fees and taxes? I'm pretty excited about this. I just dont like not being able to go over something before I buy it. Guess I'll just have to jump in the water and see what happens.
Yea man, I had a limit but it did push over a bit. This one was the one for me so ya know if it wasn't for that "other guy" things would have been better..ha

Be excited, pretty sure alot of similar interest guys on here so I would say yup...tons of worth it.

Yea I wouldn't have been disappointed if I went the 6.2L rout by all means...either way performance parts are performance, an correct me if wrong the 6.2L is actually more readily available in that category such as turbo packages, say "bankspower". Haven't been able to find one for the 6.5L unless I build it myself...so I will be going the whipple charger rout instead.

all my fall backs were 6.2L and the least one went for ~8.5k and was a single cab setup, in great condition and would have totally pleased to say.

My "euc" took...
Sale Date: April 27th
ECU Submitted: April 28th
Paid For: April 28th
ECU approved May 17th

Go through, pick the likings and create the "watch list" then observe and apply as necessary...good luck

I did place a priority bid at my wanted max price of 15k...never bid during the auction just increased my priority, had 62 bids I believe.

Last edited:

NormB

Just be sure to account for the buyer fees and sales taxes. Depending on where you live this can be an additional 20% on your purchase price. Oh, then there's transportation to get it home. None of these can be driven away running or not.
Zombie post, beware.

Just noodling around the idea of buying a HMMWV. Drove one on several missions a couple decades ago. I'm retired Army, looking at retiring again, a Humvee or an M35 has always been on my "want list" - the wife would be happier with the Hummvee, she doesn't climb very well.

Anyway, I see a lot of ads places saying "clean title, registered in [fill in state], you can drive it home."

Looked into insuring through USAA - about $600 a year, not bad. Mechanicking I can mostly do myself (or friends), yadda yadda.

For someone in Maryland, ARE these street-legal? I pick one up in PA I can drive down, straight to the MVA and register? Or more complicated than that?

Yes, I read the sticky, but this comment plus the ads I've seen are in conflict.

Thanks in advance.

Norm

BLK HMMWV

HMMWV's sold in the 90's auction no problem. Anything from the latest round of auctions come with a SF97 stating off highway use only.
Discussion any farther then that sends you back to the sticky.

So you have 2 options buy one of the old ones from the early auction from a private party. You will pay a premium for it.

Or option #2 punt.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to pull the trigger on a 1990 M988 4 door with 6.2 the day after Christmas. I have two issues that concern me (1) I can't drive 55...does this mean I will need to re-gear both difs? (2) Want to tone down the noise level and I am think soundproofing for the interior, and adding a new exhaust...any ideas on sound proofing, exhaust, and increasing top speed? ...note, I know the head gaskets won't fair well if I go pedal to metal all the time, so I need an increase in speed to 65 or better with moderate rpms.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks