• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cost of ownership (the real cost of a deuce)

weld88

I picked my deuce up for 8,000. Mine was a private party seller truck was already professionally bobbed by Carolina truggies and had Goodyear 14.00 20r on it that are practically new it came with bows and tarp and trailer too. To date I've probably got around 9k in it after the mods I have done. I have put leather seats in it, rebuilt the airpack, added remote brake resivor, put my DVD/navigation in the truck, added a kats block heater, put new teach cable in. I have several future plans and will be around 10 total into it. I hope one day I cable sell it for around 12k but never know may not.

Tlauden

I'm scared to think what it's going to cost to get mine on the road again in spring, I'm going to completely overhaul the brake system. A few months ago I got a steal on a NOS master cylinder and NOS air pack, about $130 total. Going to replace all the rubber brake lines and all 6 wheel cylinders. Luckily my brake pads are almost new. Then Ill need belts, hoses, batteries, tires, new soft top...... And that's just the essentials, the list for what I want to do is much bigger, haha. But in the end it'll give me peace of mind that my truck is road worthy!

RodUSMC1962

This is like when I bought my first horse for $200. Then tack $500, trailer, $700, yearly vet bills, farrier, hay, truck camper, $800,horse for wife, $400 ,and on and on. When someone would ask what I paid for my horse I would tell them it only cost me $200. :whistle::whistle:

renodogs

Anyone ever own a boat? I did. Thank God I had the intelligence to sell it while I had the chance. As mentioned here previously, "a boat is a hole in the water to pour money down."

It was misery! Everyone wants to ski behind it, go for rides, etc., but when oil changes, tweaking cables and maintenance time comes, the only friends you seem to have are the crickets. Simply amazing! I paid $20,000 <choke, gasp> for that boat- just for everyone else to enjoy; the day I cut that ball and chain off my leg (sold it) was the happiest day of my life!

Well, with one exception: the day I was handed divorce papers by a Deputy Sheriff from the 1st wife (which was the other ball and chain). Come to think of it, both cost me a tidy sum totalling North of 100K, so a MV expense is child's play!!! I can spend money like the fool I am and gleefully drive down the dirt road in something that I WANTED.

Back to the divorce- boats and ex-wives have something in common: both were high maintenance, both were WELL used by others, and I got the lucky task of footing the bill for both! Braveheart getting gored on the rack got nothing on me. :goodjob:

Sad but true, And yes, 'denial' is painful (as it should be). Did I learn my lesson?

You bet. AFFIRMATIVE!

But that was years ago and enough time has passed to allow me some latitude of self-abasing humor about it. Both were squarely my fault.

Why? I said yes to both!!

Anyway, I will be picking up my (new to me deuce soon) and I'll get to enjoy the machine because I wanted it, :-Dand for no other reason.
When people ask me 'what are you going to do with that?', or the proverbial question, 'Why did you buy that?' I'll simply smile and say "...'cause I could".

And "no, I won't help you move darling." That's when you put your earphones on, put'r in neutral and flip the battery switch to on. The rest is up to you gents. What starts your motor might be a push button switch or something of the flesh, but it all costs money, and sometimes, gobs and gobs of it. :driver: HAHAHAHAHHA

Life's short, so enjoy what you have left. And yeah, I'll be contracting with the funeral home to hitch a U-Haul trailer to the hearse just to piss off my stock broker. Yes, I am taking it with me just like the Egyptians did. Bury me with my TM's and wrenches kids, I'll need'm when I get to heaven 'cause I already spent my time in motorboat ****!

Last edited:

DeucesWild11

Nice story but unlike a boat I spend much less on my deuce than my old truck! I am forced to do all the work myself because I don't trust any one else to do it as most local mechanics are not familiar with these trucks. I always tell myself that they were designed to be maintained by young army soldiers. If they can do it then so can I! Classic Car insurance, runs on Used motor oil, fix it myself! Cheapest car I own!

renodogs

Nice story but unlike a boat I spend much less on my deuce than my old truck! I am forced to do all the work myself because I don't trust any one else to do it as most local mechanics are not familiar with these trucks. I always tell myself that they were designed to be maintained by young army soldiers. If they can do it then so can I! Classic Car insurance, runs on Used motor oil, fix it myself! Cheapest car I own!
Copy that! I have a high tolerance for pain, but little for own personal stupidity. Like you, I do my own wrenching. Over the years I acquired a milling machine, a nice lathe, surface grinder, etc. I can pretty much do what I want with little reliance on many services. I farm out my boring and head work because there are those who are much better at that than I. Besides, if you don't use a cylinder boring machine all the time for profit, it makes little sense to invest in one.

And I agree on maintenance costs- a friend of mine told me he had nearly $10,000 wrapped up in an old Chevy 4x4. Naturally, my eyebrows raised and I muttered an appropriate exclamation to myself. Nonetheless, I considered one thing when thinking about the comparison: a Deuce can do way more, for a lot less and it's 'miles down the road' more fun. I did tell him when he gets stuck, give me a call; but I will insist on him taking a video of the entire predicament for inevitable youtube guffaws. :beer:

FL_Frank

They certainly seemed to have gone up a bit in price. Not like I'm going to part with mine, but nice to know the $$$ I put into her could be somewhat recouped in time. With the work it does pulling down trees and hauling unfathomly heavy loads that would snap the F150 like a twig, it mostly pays for the upkeep.

dezert ratt

1987 m35a2 $4500
Switching to 395 mraps $4500
Turning up fuel $0
Gauges for egt and boost $350
3rd air tank and all fittings and connectors $200
$9550
That isn't with registration and insurance costs, but is pretty much my investment into my deuce over 8 months during and after purchase.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I paid $2400.00 at auction, plus 10% commission, but no taxes for my 1969 M35A2 W/W. I was lucky in that most tires were relatively new, almost new batteries, brakes were great, cargo top almost new, all bows and seats and hard top in good shape. After one year, lost 5th gear and replaced trans for $200.00 and $125.00 for new clutch parts. Another $20.00 for a new tire tube and $20.00 for tire change. I have had no other problems in one year of driving, having put around 2500 miles on it. I consider it to be very reliable.

Oh, and I did replace the shocks for around $60.00 - I can't remember exactly.
Ok, I don't have my Deuce yet and am reading all I can to get prepared both mentally and financially. When you say you lost 5th gear, how do you mean? I'm pretty sure the cog didn't drop out of a slot in the transmission. Were the teeth eaten up by other gears (if you can't find em, grind em)? Did the linkage break? Would it have been cheaper to fix the transmission instead of dropping $200 on a replacement?

I spent $2400 on rebuilding my Jeep transmission a few years ago and it had over 250k miles on it. I have no frame of reference, but $200 for a replacement transmission sounds like someone found one rusting in a ditch on the side of the road and decided to see what they could get for it. I really thought a replacement unit would be a lot more expensive. Maybe you lead a charmed life?? :-D

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wolfgang the Gray,

RUN BROTHER, RUN.

When we moved here to Texas, I told the wife I would NOT buy any more trucks. And I didn't. After a year here, I ended up being very ... um .... frustrated over a ... um... situation that soured me on the green iron. So I sold my two CUCV's. I still have the MKT and the MEP 003 that I had not sold yet.

So I sold my pristine M1028A dually with only 22k on it and my M1009 Blazer with 18k miles on it. I kept the trailers, telling myself I would wait a while and then sell them. I MAY STILL sell them. But for now, with the economy slowed, I can barely see the point.

Then the wife retires and we are now going home to Colorado. YEAH!!!

Then a good buddy of mine in Denver says he's selling his deuce. 1970 m35A2 w whistler w winch troop/cargo seats and cover

A full page of other 'stuff' that works and three things at the bottom that need attention, but the parts are NIB just not installed.

Plus convoy lights, a military radio that works on the VHF side (I'm a Ham operator so I had to have that) plus a nice spotlight with IR included but not installed on my list that he picked up for me.

I was at $6k with everything, right up until that last sentence, which cost me another $2k give or take. He would have easily removed it all, but then I would just have to go out and find it and then reinstall it, yada, yada, yada. You know the drill.

So it needs a few bits and bobs repaired with the parts he has. I've got a good friend that is the master mechanic to my gunsmith and we trade favors all the time and he says, no problem and then we just have to figure out what he needs that I have. So that's all good. Then there will be a muffler. Super single the tires and of course the wheels and tires (not cheap but worth every penny). Then sound proof the cab w/hard top that's already there. Probably reupholster the two seats in the front or replace them with better mil spec stuff. I don't know, call it another $3k? Maybe a little more. But these are the 'maintenance' things that will be accomplished in the next year.

The funny part is, I WAS DONE. I had enough of the green iron disease from the past ten years. But the good price on a truck that I TRULY do enjoy owning? For $6k in this day and age, with the full page of stuff that is on it or goes with it...

YEAH, I folded like a cheap tent. Good thing I never actually sold a lot of stuff I have in my shed. It will be so much fun MOVING IT ALL BACK to Denver. But once there and a new house found and purchased... Well, it should be a great time. My 'old club' in Denver that the guy I'm buying the truck from is a member along with a lot of other folks I've missed over the past five years.

It's like a nicely broke in pair of old shoes. Ones that fit really well and look pretty good that you enjoy wearing because youv'e had them for so long. I can't wait. Well, finish packing up this house. Moving it someplace... Then selling this house - this will hopefully be the easiest part as houses in our area sell in the first week or so. Then finding just the right place for our 'retired life' as it were. I can finally settle in and set up all my stuff. All I need is a really nice big garage, hopefully somewhere rural (kinda).

Then get back to 'our lives' when ever all that is done.

PIECE OF PIE...

Wolfgang the Gray. Run away from this hobby. Of course you will regret never knowing all the great people on this site. In the club you could join. Meeting people along the way from all walks of life as crazy AS I AM. Ahhh, never mind. How do they say it down here in Tejas...

BIENVENIDOS my brother. Hey, it's not like wasting money on 'Hookers and Blow' now is it? WAY MORE FUN, after you wake up from the headache that it caused. And remember, keep a number in the back of your head that you will 'never' be offered for that FINE LOOKING DEUCE. My number is at least X2 or X3 and when you are offered that and they ask, check or cash, ALWAYS SAY CASH of course.

I guess I'm back in this green iron disease AGAIN. I'll see my MVCC brothers and sisters in the next few months. Once we are moved I WILL LET you all know we are back and how to contact us again.

peace

out

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wolfgang the Gray,

RUN BROTHER, RUN.

When we moved here to Texas, I told the wife I would NOT buy any more trucks. And I didn't. After a year here, I ended up being very ... um .... frustrated over a ... um... situation that soured me on the green iron. So I sold my two CUCV's. I still have the MKT and the MEP 003 that I had not sold yet.

So I sold my pristine M1028A dually with only 22k on it and my M1009 Blazer with 18k miles on it. I kept the trailers, telling myself I would wait a while and then sell them. I MAY STILL sell them. But for now, with the economy slowed, I can barely see the point.

Then the wife retires and we are now going home to Colorado. YEAH!!!

Then a good buddy of mine in Denver says he's selling his deuce. 1970 m35A2 w whistler w winch troop/cargo seats and cover

A full page of other 'stuff' that works and three things at the bottom that need attention, but the parts are NIB just not installed.

Plus convoy lights, a military radio that works on the VHF side (I'm a Ham operator so I had to have that) plus a nice spotlight with IR included but not installed on my list that he picked up for me.

I was at $6k with everything, right up until that last sentence, which cost me another $2k give or take. He would have easily removed it all, but then I would just have to go out and find it and then reinstall it, yada, yada, yada. You know the drill.

So it needs a few bits and bobs repaired with the parts he has. I've got a good friend that is the master mechanic to my gunsmith and we trade favors all the time and he says, no problem and then we just have to figure out what he needs that I have. So that's all good. Then there will be a muffler. Super single the tires and of course the wheels and tires (not cheap but worth every penny). Then sound proof the cab w/hard top that's already there. Probably reupholster the two seats in the front or replace them with better mil spec stuff. I don't know, call it another $3k? Maybe a little more. But these are the 'maintenance' things that will be accomplished in the next year.

The funny part is, I WAS DONE. I had enough of the green iron disease from the past ten years. But the good price on a truck that I TRULY do enjoy owning? For $6k in this day and age, with the full page of stuff that is on it or goes with it...

YEAH, I folded like a cheap tent. Good thing I never actually sold a lot of stuff I have in my shed. It will be so much fun MOVING IT ALL BACK to Denver. But once there and a new house found and purchased... Well, it should be a great time. My 'old club' in Denver that the guy I'm buying the truck from is a member along with a lot of other folks I've missed over the past five years.

It's like a nicely broke in pair of old shoes. Ones that fit really well and look pretty good that you enjoy wearing because youv'e had them for so long. I can't wait. Well, finish packing up this house. Moving it someplace... Then selling this house - this will hopefully be the easiest part as houses in our area sell in the first week or so. Then finding just the right place for our 'retired life' as it were. I can finally settle in and set up all my stuff. All I need is a really nice big garage, hopefully somewhere rural (kinda).

Then get back to 'our lives' when ever all that is done.

PIECE OF PIE...

Wolfgang the Gray. Run away from this hobby. Of course you will regret never knowing all the great people on this site. In the club you could join. Meeting people along the way from all walks of life as crazy AS I AM. Ahhh, never mind. How do they say it down here in Tejas...

BIENVENIDOS my brother. Hey, it's not like wasting money on 'Hookers and Blow' now is it? WAY MORE FUN, after you wake up from the headache that it caused. And remember, keep a number in the back of your head that you will 'never' be offered for that FINE LOOKING DEUCE. My number is at least X2 or X3 and when you are offered that and they ask, check or cash, ALWAYS SAY CASH of course.

I guess I'm back in this green iron disease AGAIN. I'll see my MVCC brothers and sisters in the next few months. Once we are moved I WILL LET you all know we are back and how to contact us again.

peace

out
Wallew,
That's great news! Glad to hear you're returning to the motorized aspect of the Green Iron Disease.
Be blessed in all your plans for joint retirement and relocation.
John (& Dianna)

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Guess I missed this last year. I got a different deuce in late Jun & have really been enjoying it. As far as your suggestion to run away, I'm happy finally having an MV. Like every hobby, it is a continuing investment & if not in this hobby, it would be one of my many others. Glad you got to move back to Denver! I grew up in Monument & after the USAF, we lived in Colorado Springs. Don't think I would go back now though after the government banned half the magazines I own for one of my other hobbies, shooting.

Mrwilson79

I traded a numbers matching 67 BB coronet 500 for mine, snapped turbo, front dif full of water, EVERYTHING leaked...... I got that girl tittie tight now. I'll drive it over my nice new powerwagon....oh and I now have stock in Chevron, Goodyear, and the local scrap yard lol

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thought I should provide a counterpoint argument to some of the trepidations brought up in this thread.

I'm not a mechanic. Was never in the military, and never even drove anything bigger than a pick up truck. I'm good at reading things and learning how things work. And I've never been afraid to take a leap of faith.

Do your research. Know the costs you'll likely face...make sure you have lots of room on your credit card for the costs you never thought of.

I think if you think you want an deuce and you have a place to put it, money and/or time to work on one, then go for it.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. My Deuce cost me $6000 fully rebuilt plus $2200 of upgrades I initially wanted. Grand total of $8200 (no shipping needed).
2. After constantly looking through ePay, gov auction sites, privet sellers, big re-fab shops and reading until my head ached and my eyes bled, I waited and researched (all be it casually sometimes) for 15 years until I pulled the trigger and bought one.
3. I went with a small company an hour from my current residence (I am active duty aka moving around a lot, so this added to my wait) to rebuild and restore the exact model and year that I wanted. As I lack the space, time and equipment to do a major overhaul myself.
4. I regret nothing, sure it took a long time and I don’t get to do the initial work myself but it was all for the best in the end. As I type this my M35A2C is getting her finishing touches to be 100% restored to her former glory and I get to do the rest of the upgrades/ repairs myself.
5. I have no fear of doing the operator level maint and PMCS of my truck (I do it every Monday anyway). I also look forward to the inevitable challenges of doing higher level maint myself as well because I have an awesome resource at my disposal......... You guys and this site!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks