• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MadDawg's M37 gun truck project

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what I thought as well, but talking with Larry (known here as driver523), who served on the M37 gun truck Malfunction, he said that spare belts for the guns were kept in bins mounted on the side walls of the armor. Being that this was a smaller truck, if ammo cans were kept all over the floor, you'd have to kneel to get any protection from the side armor. I'm sure some ammo cans were kept on board, but I agree that I don't think the floor was lined with them.

It's like Christmas on this end, all the parts are showing up in quantity now. I have plenty to do, and the parts are starting to find their way onto the beast. Spent yesterday bolting the front half of the exhaust pipes up, hooking up the front lights, and lots of other little things. Tomorrow the grinder has to come out and take care of some bubbafications that are ticking me off.

Also got - new cab top and new seat covers. The armor is being cut right now, and I have to pick it up on Tuesday after the holiday weekend. I should be ready to install it by then.

In the meantime, a couple pics of the bolting on of parts - front showing the new turn signals, rear showing the new taillight mounts (previous owner cut them off).

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent the whole day wrenching on this thing, don't have any time to spare getting this ready for the upcoming show. Spent today grinding off the bubba spare tire mount, the rear fender bolts which were pretty shot, and a bunch of other problem areas that needed 11,000 rpm of disc. I have brand new rear fenders that will be going on shortly, the old ones were okay, but had some dents that would have been a PITA to get out. Also, spent some time removing the front fenders to put new fender welting on.

Also spent time playing with the wiring, getting new 14 ga wire run for the headlights and marker lights. Some of the original stuff was completely missing insulation and the copper wire was showing. Needless to say, I found out why some of the lights didn't work. I'll need to play with this some more...

Also, note the new West Coast style driver's mirror. Before anyone says "WHAT THE **** ARE YOU DOING?!?" for me drilling holes in the windshield frame, note that most all the M37 original gun trucks had West Coast mirrors on the driver's side, made it lots easier to see around the armor on the bed.

Also, getting ready to put the soft top frame up. Here's the kicker - all the pics I have ever seen of RLW show it with a soft top frame, and no soft top. SO, that's what I'm going to do. Frame only, no cover.

Much more work tomorrow. Lookin' forward to it.

Attachments

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, more pics and updates.

Finished putting the new rear fenders on, they look great. Old ones are going on eBay soon to free up some cash. Put on the remainder of the soft top frame, everything looks good there. Had to cut out the old glove box, the screws were so rusty that you couldn't even see the Phillips head cutouts in the top of them. Put on the fuel can mount, fixed some misc bolt holes that were drilled in weird places, and a ton of other small jobs.

My help for body repair work called and said that his argon bottle is empty, and will get it filled and come by later in the week. No worries, I'll have the cancer cut out by then and ready for his MIG welder. Also, after I go and pick up the steel on Wednesday, I am bringing it to a gent in Maryland with a plasma cutter, who will quickly cut the notches, wheelwells, and bolt holes with his 4,000-degree tool, otherwise I will be at the remainder of the week with a drill, a plethora of drill bits, and rapidly diminishing patience.

Also need to check on the guns - which should be arriving soon. More to come on that.

Oh, and don't all chime in at once about how cool this is going. I'm laboring away at this to honor those who served on gun trucks in Vietnam, but man, you're like a pack of crickets in here. Clap or something.

Attachments

nattieleather

:jumpin::not worthy::drool::grd::lol: That's how I feel.... Keep up the good work. My truck is still in frame only condition not having time or money to get it done...so I'm also uber jelous.... Oh yeah :CLAP:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, I'm pretty short on time, and money is about gone. In fact, credit is about gone too. This better sell fast once I get it done. Not to mention, I need a J-O-B soon. :(

Tailgate arrived today, as well as stencils (Rick Larsen said "I don't know if I can get them to you in time" - he got them here EARLY! Thanks, Rick) and the last of the exhaust hangers which had to be custom made. The M2HB is getting shipped either today or tomorrow, so that's awesome.

My big problem is bolts - as usual, all the ones I take off are stripped and rusted up. SO, there's an endless amount of back and forth to the Lowe's to get bolts in the correct sizes and lengths. PITA, but what ya gonna do?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chalk this up to the "things you find in a surplus truck" category:

Was under the rig today installing a couple exhaust hangers, looked up and saw a drain hole that was in the bottom of the rear door support (actually it was a small rust hole), and saw the rear end of a cartridge case jammed into the crevasse. Poked a screwdriver around in there and a pile of sand and dirt fell out, as well as a single .30-06 cartridge case. Headstamp was LC 68, meaning Lake City ammo plant 1968 mfg. Makes you wonder how the case got into there....

I'm imagining a rifle match in the late 60s or early 70s using old M-1 Garand rifles, on a range at Ft. Benning or Ft. Dix, or even Camp Perry Ohio.

Perhaps a tense situation involving Garand-armed ARVN troops in South Vietnam in 1969 or so, returning fire into the trees...

Or maybe just a disorganized DRMO sometime in the late 1970s when this truck made it's way out into the civvy world.

Makes you wonder.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some more pics -

Got the replacement non-winch bumper ready for install, and all the old winch stuff removed. Installed the last of the exhaust hardware, to replace the crappy old bubba stuff, now it's 100% USGI. Rebuilt the insides of the doors, the regulators and handles were all boogered up and now they work right. Got the new tailgate ($550 plus shipping, OUCH!) from Vintage Power Wagons (it's high but they are the only game in town for good replacements), and put that in the back, and wow it makes it look great. Also, note the ACAV mount (thanks popacom) that will serve as the left quarter .50 cal station mount. Also got my M60-D helicopter pintles from Austin Weber. They were a fair price for pintles, compared to the more standard 30/50 pintles. They will take up the front quarter left/right M60 stations, mounted to the bed sides.

Question on the windshield bottom gasket - I put it in, but it has a big gap in the front underneath it. Did I put it in backwards or something?

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Oh, I'm pretty short on time, and money is about gone. In fact, credit is about gone too. This better sell fast once I get it done. Not to
mention, I need a J-O-B soon. :(

Dang MD, I didn't know you were building her to sell....but I certainly understand the money/job thing and will pray that it works out well soon.

I pray that you will :grd: then you will get the best job you have applied for and keep her...then we will all be happy campers.:beer:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PB - I didn't start out with the goal of reselling it, but times are tough, been unemployed for 6 months. Gotta make ends meet, but I have to get this done first. If I get a job soon, I'll probably still sell it - but that only means I get to build a deuce gun truck further down the road!

Getting down to the end of the bolt-on stuff. Got the entire front winch off and ready for resale, and put the non-winch bumper on it, as well as the lower brush guard, the pioneer tool rack, and a lot of small parts. I also hammered out a lot of the dents out of the running boards, they are not perfect, but they are better than they were (try finding replacement ones).

Tomorrow's the big day - pickup of the armor, as well as taking it to the plasma cutter to have the holes drilled and notches cut.

Attachments

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good, but I just can't imagine making a profit on this.....
Profit? Heck, once I bolt it all together and repaint it like the original, I'd be happy to break even. Ask anyone who tries to restore any vehicles for a living - there are only a choice few who can do it and make money at it. I'm not likely to be one of them. I do this for the love of the vehicles and the history. What do you do it for? ;)

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update - got held up by the steel shop, won't be ready until late this afternoon, so I am picking it up tomorrow morning, taking it right to the plasma cutter, and hope to start bolting it in by late p.m.

In the meantime, I'm turning wrenches on minor stuff. Gonna take the seats out and put the new canvas on them this evening. I also hope the new steering wheel gets here soon - it was being shipped from Vietnam, mailed out last week. I figure it's an original part that got left in Nam when we left there. Be cool to put a piece leftover from the war back onto the truck.

Oh, and I got word from Reese Surplus - my two M-60 replicas are being shipped today. Gotta have guns!

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, Keep up the good work, and I'm sure someone with your drive and talent will land a job besides. Somebody in your area reading this series has got to have a finger on something. You have me OD Green with envy....... "Godzilla" the one we're planning on building is still just in the planning stages, have the truck, have the plans, looking for pieces/parts, and the aluminum for the armor. (we'll take our chances during the Zombie Apocalypse)[thumbzup]

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Godzilla" the one we're planning on building is still just in the planning stages, have the truck, have the plans, looking for pieces/parts, and the aluminum for the armor. (we'll take our chances during the Zombie Apocalypse)[thumbzup]
Thanks for the kind words, Pat. I originally wanted aluminum armor as well. It is easier to drill, lighter weight, but MAN it was double the price at the metal yard. As it is, this armor is costing me $1,500 for the steel, including drilling and cutting. However, if you can afford it, aluminum would be a good alternative.

Got a pic of your base truck?

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, if I can "figger" out how to put it on this site, I'm OK wiith the machines, its COMPUKERS that I don't get along with. Too old I guess, (me not the computer...) I used to keep a BIG hammer next to it to make it behave, but its (artificial intelligence you know) learned that I will not use it. BUT, my off duty 40 S&W has it worried.

Last edited:

Driver523

Mike--The holes you speak of cutting----are they the holes around the armor panel?---the gun ports?---I can't tell from the photos if RLW had those kind of panels or just the sheet steel, IF it has the 2x2 holes around the edge of the panel and any of those gun ports in any panels let me know---I have all the measurements on where they go-------Driver

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pop quiz, a-hole, as they said in Speed. What are three components you need for an armored gun truck?

1. Truck - that was easy.

2. Guns - will be here soon.

and 3. ARMOR!

Thought I would post these to show a before of the steel, right after I got it back from the plasma cutter. That CNC water bed plasma cutter was awsesome to watch, took care of everything including the bolt holes. That will save me a lot of time!

For those who like heavy metal:

Attachments

nattieleather

Are you just going to bolt it in or were you going to weld it also. I think original trucks were all welded together because, A: the army had torches and arc welders and B: Someone in the unit was a welder by trade before they got in the army. Just wondering how you planned on putting it all together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks