• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MadDawg's M37 gun truck project

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the hottest part of the summer is over, and I've been working odd jobs to make ends meet, but the project of the summer is getting weary of me putting her off. SO, to make a long story short, I will soon really be tearing into the gun truck project, and sharing it with you.

I started with a pretty much rust-free M37. It has had some bubba-fications made to it over the years, I will be documenting the changes as I go along. All the fluids and basic maintenance are done, so now I can focus on the gun-truck aspect of the ride.

1. Hard top was removed, it was a bastard hard top, made by stretching sheet metal over the soft top frame and riveting it all together. It has been removed with a grinder, sold off, and a new soft top frame and canvas will be replacing it.

2. The bad tailgate and the unneeded troop seats were removed, the tailgate will be replaced by a new one. I'm not looking forward to paying that bill.

3. This week the wheels will make their trip to the tire shop, and a new set of 9.00x16 NDTs will be installed. All of the 10 tires that I have mounted to rims are 40 years old and cracked BADLY. There is one that is borderline, and will be kept as a spare.

4. The winch bumper is still a problem - the previous owner put on a civilian power wagon winch, not correct for the military power wagon. Since the bolt holes didn't match up, the winch was welded to the frame. I'll have to get in there with a grinder and cut the welds off.

5. Tomorrow I'll remove the exhaust system, everything south of the exhaust manifold was replaced with some civilian system, and held in place with baling wire. The original system will be restored shortly.

As the project progresses, I will be posting wants and needs of parts that I may need that are not available from the usual sources, especially radio and gun-related parts. I would appreciate anyone who has the spare parts, or know where some can be found, to chime in.

Also, I am still on the fence about whether to make a replica truck after one that actually served, or an original creation. I still have time, but need to make the decision within a week or so.

Thanks for looking, hope to post more progress pics tomorrow.

Attachments

WarrenD

My opinion, FWIW. A replica truck would demand good, thorough research of the truck you are reproducing. This could be a long process depending on how much info is available. I feel if you are doing a replica, you are bound to do it as close as possible to the original.
A tribute truck grants more leeway as there is no original to follow. It cuts down on the research (though you would still have to keep within the bounds of what was available and what would have been done in the time). A good one to ask about tribute trucks would be JTONKA. I've never heard a negative word about his tribute gun truck. As long as it is represented as a tribute truck there shouldn't be any issues.
I guess it boils down to what you want to do. If you want to honor the gun truckers, a tribute truck might be the way to go. If you want an accurate depiction on a certain time and place (like your hooch) then you might want to go the extra and replicate one of the trucks that was over there. Either way, it's good.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MD, If you want to get rid of the troop seat hardware send me a pm.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Otto and Mr. Nice are no longer viable - I will not copy the work of others, if someone built them already, I'm not gonna step on their toes. I'll figure out another candidate.

I spent some time outside this morning, removed the windows and all the side window hardware, it will be replaced with armor. Also removed the bubba exhaust system, the rear taillights (which were incorrect), and some dashboard mods made by the previous owner. Also removed the heater and the heater hoses, the heater was a civvy Studebaker heater unit that was rusted out. Also removed all the bed side bolts to prep for armor installation when the time comes.

Going to Saturn Surplus tomorrow, to pick up some parts to work with. Should have a better idea of some missing parts that I will need from other owners after then. A couple parts I know I need that aren't on the usual suppliers websites are:

front non-winch bumper
both running boards
lower brush guard for radiator

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That hard top sure looks familiar! You have a good solid truck to start with. Keep the pics comming.

Tanner

I checked Cabell's back yard last week; my truck is still there, so I don't know where maddawg's truck came from...

All this talk of tribute or replica trucks has me thinking that I might turn mine into a Forestry Service or fire truck replica... currently, it looks like an aborted resto project from 1977, as found in a barn... :shock:

Good luck Mike regardless of the direction you take!

'Tanner'

M-37Bruce

MD, I have a non winch bumper, yours for the asking, P/U only. It's not perfect, but it's real solid?
I'll post a pic if I still have one.
I can't make it to the barn, as I'm nursing a wrenched knee/torn meniscus.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
MD...we may have a few spare parts for an M37...just ask. Also...the Daughter of Darkness name is available if ya wanna build her.
Uglyranger told me not to.....so I won't!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent a few more hours of the truck. Here's the front winch, for those who INSIST I keep it on here, here's a close up view. IT'S NOT FOR THE M37, it's for the civvy power wagon. See how the original owner welded the winch brackets on because the bolt holes didn't line up? Now the confines are tight, I have to get in there with a small grinder and cut the crossbar to remove this bastard of a winch addition.

Also, for those interested in making a M37 gun truck themselves, you will have to remove all interior facing bolts on the inside of the bed. The armor will be flat against the inside of the bed, and the bolts for various things interfere with the installation. For those items that will be reinstalled, such as reflectors, the bolts will go through the bed and armor together. For those holes for things that will not be reinstalled, such as the troop seat staves and the radio bracket, the armor will have additional bolts installed there, to hold it in place. No need drilling new holes in the bed to bolt the armor in, when the bolt holes are already there. Also note, there were some bubbafications over the years, adding new holes in the bed sides. Not to worry, just more holes for armor securing bolts to go through.

Note to builders - the rivets holding the tie-down hooks on the side of the bed can stay, the inside side of the bolts have a very flat and wide head. They will not affect armor installation.

Also shown are the removed window glass, ready for a new owner.

Next job: winch removal and some grinder work.

Attachments

Last edited:

M-37Bruce

I would loose the winch, regardless of anybody's opinion, if it was correct, I'd keep it.
Nearly everything you remove is worth good $$, swapp/sell it for armor purchases.
JMHO,

2027Deuce

Dawg, this looks like a very cool project... good luck with it and I look forward to watching the progress. I don't know much about the M37 so about the only way I can help you is to say keep going man!

Driver523

Replica or tribute---Myself I will always say replica, first off because it don't cost any more to build then a tribute truck, and besides you get a ton of history and make some crew out there totally honored, remember that these trucks were changed a bunch of times--sometimes every time a crew changed, so you can pick the way it was when you want to portray it, and its a replica not a duplicate, now don't get me wrong here---I love em ALL and there are some vary, vary good tribute trucks out there, a couple I woulda loved to have had, and set ups that are really neat, and all that is besides the time and energy to build either, all are to be commended and I mean that from the heart----I will never forget that moment the Jersey crew came down the road to show me one of my trucks they replicated-------it was unreal-----if I were you Maddawg I'd jump on that Daughter of Darkness truck----but thats just my 2 cents, and after meeting you and talking to you I'm sure what ever it is you build it will be not only fine but super----Thanks to all you owner operators, replica or tribute for helping keep our history alive---------(just an old) Driver

rhinob

Should be a fantastic machine when you're done. It may also come in handy during the Zombie Apocalypse. :mrgreen:

Btw Mike, putting a pintle/2" ball combo on the M1009 so it's a little more flexible. Looking forward to your continued updates on the gun truck.

Srjeeper

dawgs m37 GT

Very nicely put Driver. I'm another that's looking forward to seeing this GT get built. The more the merrier and the more exposer GT's and their crews will get.

Now Mike said he'd have it done for Gilbert, so we need to hold his feet to the fire here on that. Two things I know about maddawg308, he's never on time, but he's always accurate.

I'm sure his GT will be as accurate as he can make it.

Good luck Mike....now get back to work...:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks