• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extreme Expedition Vehicle

The Gimlis

Hi Zout! We thought about the boot from a semi, but decided to make our own - just using the same principle.

We did use another M35A tank that we bought from a buddy for next-to-nothing and just used a cross over tube.

Preacherboy

I really want an explaination about your door window frames, is the glass been made smaller or do these work with the original glass? I bet if you made these up as "kits" some folks might buy them. They look really cool!

Last edited:

The Gimlis

THANKS! It was a lot of work, but well worth it. Now if we didn't have to work for living.. would rather be wandering all over the place in the darn thing..

Many, many hours went into just the planning. I would go out into the shop, and there was all my guys (Mr Gimli included) standing around staring at the truck with the old brain gears just a burning as they planned and planned. Several times Mr. Gimli would sit on a 5 gallon bucket in the middle of the steel frame that was to become the box, and contemplate how everything was going to fit and how it would work together. You are basically building a house! A heavy duty off road house.

Mr Gimli is one of those that doesn't "need no stinkin drawings" and this was all done from his little pea brain. (hope he doesn't read this...)

Anyway, unless you have one of those brains like his, it might be best to make several drawings or schematics of wiring for lights, plumbing, etc. And of course, be prepared to change everything at least once. Take your time, and do it right the first time. Just like the condition of the truck itself, you don't want to go out on an expedition and find out that your fresh water just peed out on the ground because things weren't plumbed right, and no, that did not happen to us. But I hope you see my point.

Our main problems were the inverters for solar power (the cheapo inverters aren't even worth the trouble of installing), and nasty gases from the black water tank during travel.
Better quality inverters work better, and we got a funky wind-directional-vortex-twirly-thing that goes up on the nasty tank vent (we tell people it's a wind direction finder for biological warfare avoidance). You might think of using a good old fashioned porta potty set up. Doesn't take up much room but privacy is lacking.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else. Main thing - have fun with this build!

oldiron4x4

You have done an outstanding job with the build. I really like the modification you have done. I have a question regarding the windshield. I plan to build one similar but want to use two separate windshields instead of one. I am curious to the thickness of the sheet metal that you used and if you had any trouble installing the windshield. Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

The Gimlis

... I plan to build one similar but want to use two separate windshields instead of one. I am curious to the thickness of the sheet metal that you used and if you had any trouble installing the windshield. Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

For all of you interested in the single windshield idea, please bear with me for a couple days. I will pick Mr. Gimli's little pea brain for all the details and post a separate thread for everyone interested. We going to see if we can figure out how to make a kit for the one piece too...

Thanks!

ZRacer

THANKS! It was a lot of work, but well worth it. Now if we didn't have to work for living.. would rather be wandering all over the place in the darn thing..

Many, many hours went into just the planning...

Please let us know if we can help with anything else. Main thing - have fun with this build!
Thanks for sharing your incredible vehicle! :drool:

Boy, am I in trouble now, Lisa. I showed all of the pics of your awesome rig to my wife. Now she WANTS one!

Maybe that means I get to buy another Deuce???!!! :mrgreen: :jumpin:

How long did the entire build take you from start to finish

Time to resurect this thread. I would love some more info and close up pics of the door window frames. I want to do the same on my A3. I would really like to see how they are attatched at the door, if you needed to trim the glass, what seals you used in the added track, and what you did for the contact area on the cab. Any and all info would be great.

drbombe

very nice work

Very nice job guys, got some inside shots? I dont see many outside lights for night when you camp, any plans for that?

HASSON1911

Wow awesome truck man. Say how did you do those windows on the doors. mine are loose and don't hold snug to the cab. I'm hoping if i can do something like yours it will at least keep the rain out. :mrgreen:

Gunner0311

Another project!

Yeh, great build. :beer: Now i am thinking about converting my M109A3, and I am super busy already.

Oh well, it seems that I am always one or two projects behind schedule all the time!

:mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks