• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Line-X over CARC?

xiongy

I'm planning on getting an m101 trailer, and having the bed sprayed with line-x.
Are there additional steps that the line-x guy has to take in order to prep the trailer?

I doubt he's had much experience with CARC specifically, and I would like to know if I should get it sandblasted, and primed before the line-x.

Any experiences/suggestions with spraying line-x over CARC would be appreciated!

Maverick1701

the carc is pretty rough stuff and i would think the liner would easily have something to grab to. Sandblasting would be the ideal "correct" was to do it if you can afford it

xiongy

I think I'll sandblast, prime, then line-x.

I got a quote for $200 for sandblasting the interior of the cargo body.
I told the guy it's roughly the size of a full size truck bed.

Does $200 sound right?

xiongy

Thought about DIY, since I'm sure this won't be the last time I need something sandblasted.
I don't want to mess with the CARC dust. There are already 3 people with lung cancer in my family, I don't want to be #4.

There are numerous paint face filters you can use in the ~$50 range that would provide protection against it, but if you're that worried about it, I'm sure you could find yourself a SCBA to borrow :)

Stalwart

Myself, good CARC is much better than any primer. As stated above, if the CARC is good just add bedliner after a laquer thinner or MEK wipe.

davidkroberts

I dont use Line X i use Raptor but ive applied it directly over CARC a bunch of times. It does fine. Use an abrasive wheel to remove any loose or peeling paint and just go for it. IMHO sandblasting it would be a wasted effort. If the CARC is in decent shape then spot sand and prime any problem areas and squit the linex. I paint entire trucks bed, interior, and outside in Raptor which chemically is very similar and have never had any problems2cents

xiongy

My pocketbook is liking what you guys are saying.

If the CARC is good, I would go over it in a heartbeat...
Myself, good CARC is much better than any primer. As stated above, if the CARC is good just add bedliner after a laquer thinner or MEK wipe.
I dont use Line X i use Raptor but ive applied it directly over CARC a bunch of times. It does fine. Use an abrasive wheel to remove any loose or peeling paint and just go for it. IMHO sandblasting it would be a wasted effort. If the CARC is in decent shape then spot sand and prime any problem areas and squit the linex. I paint entire trucks bed, interior, and outside in Raptor which chemically is very similar and have never had any problems2cents

usafe7ret

Why not just contact the folks at the local Line X shop and ask them? Better yet, run the trailer by the shop and let them see what you've got and get a accurate estimate on cost and prep.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not just contact the folks at the local Line X shop and ask them? Better yet, run the trailer by the shop and let them see what you've got and get a accurate estimate on cost and prep.
I would recommend contacting both Line-X and Sherwin Williams and ask to speak with their formulation chemist and ask them. I had a similar issue years ago when putting another type of epoxy coating on top of newly applied paint, and I contacted the Permite formulation chemist. He gave me specific instructions on how to avoid trouble.

xiongy

Yeah, eventually that's what's going to happen. I just wanted to be as informed as possible when I get there.

zout

Not an apples to apples comparison BUT - I do have Herculon bed liner coating over CARC.

I did make sure there was no peeling - those area's that were recieved a good scratch down - rust inhibitor coating - primered then CARC coated.
Area's that got bedlinered over CARC got scratched down. Just better to scratch it up first