• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

#2 alternator light

carctruck

So I started seeing my #2 gen light dimmly flickering whenever I let off the gas or when I was at idle, my ammeter however never once strayed from the high end of the green range, upon checking the output of both alternators all seem satisfactory, however this morning I noticed a very faint arcing sound at my feet area that coincides with the flickering, which in turn supported my theory...IM GOING TO HAVE TO REPLACE RELAY NUMBER FIFTY ON MY CUCV! wondering if anyone can give me any insight as to which one of those relays is for the alternators. I could search and find it but I latly dont have time to even fill the tank,

Barrman

Actually, I would suggest checking your fuses for one that is loose in the panel. Specifically, the very bottom red 10 amp one. Have you cleaned your fuse panel, fuses and made sure they are making good contact?

Next I would suggest you take a look at the ground at the top of the parking brake hanger. It seems like half the truck is grounded right there. Make sure it is tight, clean and no wires are loose.

Start simple and then get to the hard stuff. A great time saver would be to download and maybe even print up the -20. It walks you through the exact test you should be doing. I just wrote out the common sense simple stuff often overlooked yet very common on these trucks.

JDToumanian

I've rebuilt some alternators, the troubleshooting section of the Delco rebuild manual I have (civilian) says that flickering alt. light is usually due to worn or dirty/stuck slip ring brushes. My favorite alternators have brushes that can be easily removed for inspection, cleaning or replacement without removing the alt. or disassembling it.... only disconnecting the batteries, but I don't think our CUCVs are that way... Anyway, it's just another possibility. I'd still go through the troubleshooting section of the manual.

Jon

Crash_AF

Good advice, I'll just add that you should take the small connector off the passenger's side alternator and make sure it's clean and making good contact. Probably a good idea to check/clean on both alternators.

The relay is attached to the silver panel that is bolted to the dash under where the stereo would be. It is one of the two black Bosch relays, the other is the Voltmeter relay. You can swap the two relays to test if that's the problem. If it is, go to any parts store and ask for an A/C relay for a 1990 Jeep Cherokee. If the new relay has a mounting tab on it, you can just break it off but it will function the same.

Later,
Joe

carctruck

Been a while since I checked on this thread and I just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to help me out, looks like it was the relay, I pulled it at work put it on the tester to find it was intermittently functional, thanks again everyone

NICK_M1009

Good deal, you fixed the problem.

When I start my 09 the gen. 2 light comes on every time. I give it a little pedal to get the RPM's up and it shuts off and will stay off at idle and at higher PRM's until I go to start it again.

Can someone tell me why the light comes on at idle every time I start it?

chief1983

Combatmech, I have the same issue, although it's my Gen1 light that starts to glow faintly with the heater/lights on, and not just at idle but while driving down the road at night, I can still see the faint glow of Gen1. Brighter the higher I crank the heater blower.

I have the Gen2 light stuck on at idle initially issue too, but like they said, I've ignored that one mostly. However, I have noticed that the voltage meter does bump up slightly after I give the gas pedal a quick tap to get the light to go out.

PAm1009

ive been daily driving my 1009 for about 8 months i am recently having the same issue with my gen 2 light flickering with lights and heat on when this happens my belt starts squeling like a pig until a turn the heat down or llights off.....possible voltage reg or maybe a loose belt ?

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
Actually, I would suggest checking your fuses for one that is loose in the panel. Specifically, the very bottom red 10 amp one. Have you cleaned your fuse panel, fuses and made sure they are making good contact?

Next I would suggest you take a look at the ground at the top of the parking brake hanger. It seems like half the truck is grounded right there. Make sure it is tight, clean and no wires are loose.

Start simple and then get to the hard stuff. A great time saver would be to download and maybe even print up the -20. It walks you through the exact test you should be doing. I just wrote out the common sense simple stuff often overlooked yet very common on these trucks.
Top of the parking brake hanger? I have nothing grounded there. Can you be more specific?

kaveman31

from what i understand the reason the lights are on when you first start is the alternators start to produce energy off residual energy so you need to get them spin fast enough so the will start producing on there own.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks