• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing a Passenger Side Jerry Can Holder on a M35

Darwin T

good job on the ammo can. my M35a2 had one installed under the passenger seat and i just ordered a ammo can lock.

incase of a fire i don't think 5 gallons will make that much difference. 50 gallon fuel tank. plus i want to add a combo 100 gallon fuel tank and tool box to my M105a2 trailer. thats why i pay insurance.

basically if there is a fire when you see me run try to keep up! :shock:

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, I did that w/ our 105 as well. It has (at the moment) 3x 35-40Gal tanks, an air powered diaphragm pump, filters/water separator. We can pump from some source to tanks on the trailer or into the tank on the truck. Can also pump from trailer to truck.
P8250016.jpg

Preacherboy

Those that have been asking about the steel, locking jerry can straps...I bought my set of 2 on ebay for $20 shipped.

All I had to do was spray paint them and they look great!

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those that have been asking about the steel, locking jerry can straps...I bought my set of 2 on ebay for $20 shipped.

All I had to do was spray paint them and they look great!
For some reason the prices seem to be higher today.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have traveled all over and early on, got rid of the locks. I have never lost anything off the truck. I do keep a very vigilant eye on it though. But I have had considerable trouble with the locks that I used to lock stuff up with. They seem to require exactly the right key, and they don't like dirt, mud, water and ice either, in that little slot where the key goes. If your worried about thievery, your not portraying the proper image.

I really like your Idea with the hinge on the can holder though, but I would just use one of those web straps with a friction buckle, that the canvass shops sell, to hold the thing in place.

Darwin T

yesterday with my post more people are trying to get the metal straps. i had several pm's with several different people. the straps keep showing up all the time, i would not pay over 25.00 for a pair of them. for the locks i just use good master locks. if the latch was a little bigger i could use the same outdoor weather seal master locks i use on all my trucks, but the rubber coated bar will not go through the latch. these locks are keyed alike and have a cap that goes over the key hole.

as for portraying the wrong image it just keeps honest people honest, and me from having to kill a thief. it is a win win for everybody.

jollyroger

Or you could be el cheapo like me and ratchet strap two cans onto the running board on the passenger side. Drove in and out of camp this year and did not lose the cans. They never moved.

I have the metal strap and lock on the drivers side. Lock froze up this year and I spent 30 minutes and some PB blaster getting it to free up. Have the same lock on the tool box and it was not a problem. Darn Mag Chloride they spray on the roads here. I need weather proof locks. All the locks do is keep the honest thief honest. If someone want's it they will get it regardless.

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or you could be el cheapo like me and ratchet strap two cans onto the running board on the passenger side. Drove in and out of camp this year and did not lose the cans. They never moved.

I have the metal strap and lock on the drivers side. Lock froze up this year and I spent 30 minutes and some PB blaster getting it to free up. Have the same lock on the tool box and it was not a problem. Darn Mag Chloride they spray on the roads here. I need weather proof locks. All the locks do is keep the honest thief honest. If someone want's it they will get it regardless.

JollyRoger:

Looking at the dents/bends/wrinkles in your passenger running board and fuel tak, I coulda sworn that was OUR DEUCE :!:

Attachments

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got 4 sets of the locking straps today.

They will not work with the Blitz CARB cans without modifying the cap. Took about 30 secs.

They will not work with the plastic MIL ISSUE Water Jerry Cans at all.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI - I have an extra set if someone going to DIRTBAG wants it at cost. PM for details.

Darwin T

on my passenger side jerry can holder with the locking strap, i think i am going to add a "trail can utility tool box". it was posted on the deuce add ons thread. since i removed the drivers side box seat and added a spring seat i lost that storage.

sponaugle

I have a quick question for those who have recently found some Jerry cans. With the new CARB inspired federal regulation, it is difficult to find the old metal NATO style cans. (eBay has some, though they are usually in the $60-80 range)

I am curious what other options people have found, especially in terms of new cans.

There are a couple of options I have found so far:

(1) The Blitz metal cans + holder.

Item # 81733 5 Gallon Metal Enviro-Flo Plus ™ Gas Can
Blitz USA: Item # 11412 Metal Gas Can Carrier

This is a metal can and a metal holder, but has the nearly worthless CARB nozzel on it.

(2) A plastic diesel can like this (Moeller 5 Gallon Military)

Amazon.com: Moeller Scepter ECO Jerry Can with Child Resistant Closures (5-Gallon, Military Style): Sports & Outdoors

This plastic can will not fit in the blitz metal can mount.

Obviously the option 1 is a complete solution, but option 2 doesn't have a holder.

Has anyone seen a holder that would work with the #2 plastic cans?

Jeff

A

A/C Cages

I had someone steal the jerry can off the back of my RV once, I bet they got a huge supprise when they opened it up and found out it was the emergency overflow for the blackwater part of the portapot. I bet that stunck.

does anyone have a source for the passenger side jerry can holder? this one came with my M35a2 and i moved it to my M109a3 (Hurricane Evac Truck). here are some picts of the install. on one post here on ss someone said the install used a quick connect screw from a instrunment cluster, however i did not want to take a chance of it coming loose and falling over with the can in it, so i used stainless steel bolts with stainless steel nylon locknuts.
I got this kit today it was the last one at VTCS. New in the box NOS M13 Decontamination Apparatus Mounting Kit NSN: 2540-01-273-8371
It is differant than a normal fuel can holder the back has no holes for mounting which makes it fit better on the passenger running board.

Lex_Ordo

Can you post pics? I'd love to see the actual NOS military item and how it looks, since they seem to be rather scarce.
I tried to look up that NSN on GSA, but it returned negative results. I wonder if Carnac has seen these before?
Would love to buy some at Aberdeen.

Last edited:

Darwin T

good find,

that's the same type i installed, i just painted mine black to match my truck. i have only found one since then. 5 extra gallons of fuel and a step to get in always a plus.

there was someone last week that had all of their batteries stollen, this makes it a little harder if you put a jerry can locking strap on it, but if they want they they will get them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks