• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing a Passenger Side Jerry Can Holder on a M35

Darwin T

does anyone have a source for the passenger side jerry can holder? this one came with my M35a2 and i moved it to my M109a3 (Hurricane Evac Truck). here are some picts of the install. on one post here on ss someone said the install used a quick connect screw from a instrunment cluster, however i did not want to take a chance of it coming loose and falling over with the can in it, so i used stainless steel bolts with stainless steel nylon locknuts.

i also installed a lockable metal strap to keep it from walking away. last but not least, just to make sure someone does not fill that they need the fuel more than my (the one who paid for it) i mix mine with 3 gallons of diesel and 2 gallons of gasoline (i call it dieseline) with runs great in a multi fuel. but it does not run so good in a diesel or gas engine.

Attachments

Preacherboy

I have those metal straps too, I like the lockable feature. And as the Pinz said, my jerry cans are filled with WMO.

Thanks for posting this though, now I know exactly how I am going to mount mine!

Flyingvan911

I fill my jerry cans with filtered WMO. Cant wait until someone tries to steal the fuel!!

Wayne
That's my plan. Where do you get the metal straps. I also like the idea of a passenger side jerry can. When there's no can in them they are great for holding small stuff while working on the truck.

Scarecrow1

You know being from the east coast I tend to forget that hurricains are more of a threat To our southern coast than it is to the eastern US ...These things seem to be all over this year and is giving us on the east coast a break thank goodness.... ...Great Idea with the evac truck ......And the extra fuel can .....

jamesfrom180

LOL most people born or living in FL or over 15 years know about it.
25k house generator
1500 gal propane
min of 200 gall diesel
min of 150 gal gas
min of 100 gal dedicated drinking water
Pool for wash water
min 500 rd. ammo 12 gauge preferred

FEMA lol only makes a bigger mess

Darwin T

we could have a whole thread on hurricane prep and exac. if you are intestered let me know and i will start it up. some of the people get upset if you are not just talking about mv's. however hurricane ike is the reason i got my frist mv. my M109a3.

Barrman

TXdodgeman43 has the same mount on his M35A2. He got it as a kit from somewhere. The Dzus fasteners that came with the kit had a female part that installed under the step. I have bugged him for the past year about finding another kit and we haven't seen one.

A fast way to get to your batteries might be to install wing nuts on your bolts and maybe even weld on a little T handle on the head of the bolts. No tools needed and it will stay on.

Now that I have thought that through, I think I might go looking for a big hinge to beat on and put this on both of my trucks.

jamesfrom180

Yup, lets just say the '04 season paid for my college. My family is in the roofing business and the state was hit by I think 4 or 5 hurricanes that year. First one put the ole-folks out of power for 14 days, then the next one that hit was 28 days. I came home and ran a crew during the cleanup. Wish a lot of your neighbors would have stayed over there in TX. Killed the industry over here, but that was the Governor's fault, lifted all the licensing restrictions.

This Dieselene you use does it have any separation or varnishing issues. I have a really nice 35 gallon drum and would like to use it as a bulk storage container. But sometimes it would hold diesel and sometimes gas. I've always heard that was a bad idea. For my applications I don't think I would since its a diesel engine or a gas engine.

Pinz25086

I bring home all of the diesel / gas mix that gets put into our work vehicles in drums. I have stored it for a few months before using and never noticed any seperation or sludge issues.

Wayne

Darwin T

i keep staybil and both gas and diesel enzime additive on hand at all times and add it to anything i store. i also keep seafoam on hand. other time or two i add fuel i empty the jerry cans into the fuel tank and refill the jerry cans and then add to the trucks.

on my first trip in my M109a3 bringing it home i ran out of fuel on I-10 did not know the fuel gauge stopped at a quarter of a tank. no tools and all i had was 2 quarts of 15w40 and a can of seafoam engine cleaner. dumped it in the tank and drove to the next station about 1.5 miles. aua

bratpackdad

wmo could still be run in a diesel with a lot of smoke, however, add the gasoline to a diesel and it will run you a new engine.:mrgreen:
Hmm..I have WMO, Chevron 91 octane, diesel, Redline 85, ValvTect additive, Texaco 87 octane and a lolipop from my daughter in my tank. Truck runs fine.:?

Rivrdog

Nix on the dieseline warning. It will NOT hurt a multifuel engine, but you'd be advised to add motor oil to it like the book says. You should be adding lubricity to your ULSD anyway, I use TCW3-rated 2-cycle oil @ 200:1 ratio for pump diesel.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
does anyone have a source for the passenger side jerry can holder?
I didn't even know that they existed :shock: So we did this.
PA200001.jpg PA200002.jpg

It's a step and storage. The hold-down is w/ a wing-nut under the step. It also folds out of the way, onto the fender, so that we can access the batts.

i also installed a lockable metal strap to keep it from walking away.
I'm afraid of metal straps :-( I want to be able to cut the strap if there is a fire . . . hate the thought of adding 5, 10, or more gals of fuel to the mix. That's also why I don't use plastic fuel cans.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks