• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Dumb Trailer ...more pics

spicergear

In process of making a deuce trailer...literally. Got donor (see pics below) and will be turning that into a trailer leaving tandems, swapping on dropside bed, and a couple other things...no winch as of yet. :)

Wrenching today saw the driver's side step and storage compartment swung to where the fuel tank originally was just to see how that might look in that position since I've got the room. No, front springs are not available as they need to be returned.

Attachments

rmgill

RE: Big Dumb Trailer...

I think a couple of 5 Ton Tool boxes would make more sense on either side for storage.

spicergear

I'm keeping the spare tire mount on the driver's side and also will have 16-20" of straight frame infront of the box that I'm thinking of putting a tool box there too. That space gets me to the next crossmember where I'll start bringing the frame in.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

What are your tire plans for the trailer and truck? I like having extra tires and would consider adding another spare on that side. My semi trailer uses a deuce spare tire winch on one side and one day, I'll add another on the opposite side.

spicergear

Yep, I'm going to cut out small 'pie pieces' and then bend the frame in on either side then weld where the pieces were cut out.

rizzo

instead of triangles, just cut slots every few inches. My dad made a boat trailer with tube and cut 3 sides every 6 inches 5 times and the tube made a nice rounded curve. I think he just used a chop saw.

spicergear

Pics of further progress. Will post more when next part arrives and front mount is made.

Crossmember ahead of box (originally had T-case HI-LOW shifter on it was turned around so I could notch the frame to enable bending it in. Frame is 54" past that crossmember which is about 22-26" ahead of the bed.

Attachments

motorolanut

Seems to be taking shape nicely, Good Show! You should have keep it a secret, and then posted pics and asked everyone what the M designation was for it.. I bet we all could have laughed hard at the reponses!!!LOL

mangus580

Wait a few weeks.... he will be able to still do that!! :)

Tom, its looking great! What do you figure the tongue weight will be on it?

BFR

Rocket Surgeon

are you going to pull the axleshafts/ center sections out? save some weight and have some spares.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Heck with the trailer, see that view in the last pic? Nice work Tom but after spending all these years in FL, a view like that takes my breath away.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Now that's a shop!!!

willy

tgrailer

Jack Tomlin did this many years ago he left the feul tanks on and had a generator mounted under the bed.
He had feul to drive from Utah to bay are and then to Portland MVPA convention then (MVCC).
He had a 5 ton and a 5 ton trailer what a train.
Willy :)

spicergear

RE: tgrailer

Mike- Not sure on tongue weight, maybe 200-300Lbs..??

BFR- Will prolly pull the axle shafts and try and round up 4 spare drive flanges to slap on. Not sure about the chunks as of yet...I think for the 430Lbs they weigh total, I'll just leave them in. HA-HA, besides who breaks them? Yeah...

Mike- STOP IT...I'm struggling as it is NOT to build a drive trailer!!! ;)

Kenny- Glad you like the view, me too!

Katch1- Not at all. Still need to acquire the front mounting plate...or what I decide.

I got a line on a heavy duty stand for the front and some brake parts so I'll try and get them next week sometime. We'll see!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks