• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Lining Thickness

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am about to do a major overhaul on the brakes for my deuce from the air pack back to each wheel. I am curious what the minimum acceptable thickness is on the brake lining? I noticed a thread reply from FMJ in April of 2009 where he measured the thickness of a new shoe at .5 or 1/2". I want to know at what thickness would the linings need to be replaced?

Also,

I am in the Orlando, Florida area and have a friend that has a clutch and brake relining business. Ace Clutch is his company in Maitland, Fl. He does all kinds of unusual brake and clutch linings. I would be glad to check on pricing and shipping if anyone is interested, or you call call him direct at 407-260-2547. Send me a PM and I will check with him if you want. :)

DieselBob

From TM 9-2320-361-20 Sec, 8-7, page 8-20

"Measure top, middle, and bottom thickness of brakeshoes (2) and (23). If minimum thickness is 0.33 in. (8.33 mm) or less, replace."

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1/2 inch seems thick. You can get the linings and rivets quite cheap from the dealers. What does he charge to put them on when you give him the parts? Saturn Surplus has four linings and rivets for $28.50

Last edited:

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He is in south Florida at an Antique Flywheelers convention,old tractors, flywheel enginges, etc. He will be back on Sunday and I will check with him Monday and send you a PM.

fulleraviation

Brake Lining Rivet Tool??

Hey guy's!

I install linings all the time on aircraft. In order to get the rivets folded over properly it takes a special tool or modified punch.

With that said, I am in need of lining replacement on my M35A2. Would prefer to do it myself. I would like to hear from anyone who has done this job to see what they are using to get the rivet nice and tight. I'm not against purchasing the right tool at all.

Thanks,
Rutledge

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess I should have updated the info from that linked post....:oops:

Since I'm in Uruguay and (at that time) Hanson would not accept CC as way of payment for intl. orders I ended buying here: Jay-Cee Sales & Rivet, Inc. | Rivets In Stock - Rivets & Rivet Tools

The riveting tool I got (for an air-hammer) is #4506, here: Solid & Semitubular Rivet Tools | Rivets In Stock - Rivets & Rivet Tools

The correct rivets found in 90% of all OEM shoes resulted being of size 7-6. That is A = 23/64" and L = 6/16" (or 3/8")
Their catalog number is #BR7-6, on page 14, here : http://www.rivetsinstock.com/docs/2010-Catalog_merged.pdf

Attached pic showing (good) results......

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

fulleraviation

If you dont mind, which tools did you select and how much did they charge? There web site does not list prices.

Keep us updated on your project. I hope they send a few extra rivets with the kit.

davey8943

G,

Thanks for the update, and sorry about the international CC problems!

If I have this correct, the same hand clinching tool you mentioned in the previous post (the HT-171 from Hanson) will work with the "correct" 7-6, but not the 8-9. Correct?

Is the clinching tool defined by the shank size and rivet design (IE tubular, solid, etc)?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Dave

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave, both rivet sizes are 3/16" shank diameter. That Hanson tool HT-171 is good for all 3/16" semitubular rivets.
Regarding the first digits, 8 vs 7: it only makes for a slight difference in head diameter. I have found some of the shoes coming with size 8-head rivets. Second digit is for the shank length: "9" as 9/16" would be OK for 3/8" oversize lining but resulted too long for the std. lining thickness (= 5/16") That's why I changed to size 7-6.

In the early days I always used a home-made hand tool for clinching. Results were acceptable but now after relining dozens of brake shoes in a short period and using that air-hammer & tool, I would strongly recommend this method for faster, more professional work.

G.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I only bought that clinching tool (#4506) but you are right, it actually takes a SET OF TWO tools; the second one (home-made) is needed to counter hold the rivet head inside the (countersunk) hole in the lining.

Specs, pics and dims, below...

G.

Attachments

davey8943

G. (and other rivit experts!),

After a few trials (and a couple failures!), I finally worked out a method that worked out pretty well. I worked a small spacer on the head side of the rivit and the hand tool G. referenced above in an arbor press. I think it worked out pretty well.

By the time I was done, about about half of the rivits split in the rolled portion (see pictures). It looks like a rivit quality or age problem to me. Does anyone think my method of installation could have caused this?

I will need to order an extra batch of rivits (the first handful were casualties of my inexperience). When those come in, I can tell for sure if my method is to blame!

Thanks for the help!
Dave

Attachments

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really? New linings are a full 1/2 inch thick? They look 3/8 in the photos.
Holy thread bump, Batman!

Anyways, see pic. This is a new shoe I bought in 2017. The thickness appears closer to 15/32. Though maybe if I had calipers they would be 1/2...

brake shoes - new - thickness.jpg

brianp454

Can anyone else weigh in?

The TM has a minimum thickness, but not a NEW thickness. I have a set of shoes at the shop to be relined and would like to make them the same as a NEW milspec shoe. They are turning the drums also. Has anyone ever measured a NEW shoe that has the original friction material on it?

I have one pair from an axle that came off Ft Lewis that measures 0.495 (including the friction material and shoe backing it up).

Holy thread bump, Batman!
Anyways, see pic. This is a new shoe I bought in 2017. The thickness appears closer to 15/32. Though maybe if I had calipers they would be 1/2...

View attachment 731420

Last edited:

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can anyone else weight in?

The TM has a minimum thickness, but not a NEW thickness. I have a set of shoes at the shop to be relined and would like to make them the same as a NEW milspec shoe. They are turning the drums also. Has anyone ever measured a NEW shoe that has the original friction material on it?

I have one pair from an axle that came off Ft Lewis that measures 0.495 (including the friction material and shoe backing it up).
Brand new M35A2 service brake shoe friction material only, thickness .329"-.335";
IMG_20180622_135529717_HDR.jpg
Friction Material and plate, thickness .513"-.515";
IMG_20180622_135611867.jpg
Recess depth to a rivet head, approx. .142";
IMG_20180622_140609485.jpg
Have a great weekend!

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Recently was in the brakes on my ‘70. Was told by a couple long time daily driver deuce owners that deuce shoes wear very slowly. Neither had ever had to replace theirs. I think I had 1/8” to the rivers and they said that should last forever.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks