• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bobbed M880/CUMMINS hybrid

m880 unimog

thanks -i started this out as a build diary -to keep track-but i,ve had great encouragement and plenty of help from the SS faithful-it,s always a boost-

got more done-

sat her down on her new boots today-

having the bed raised allowed me cut the headboard , i didn,t want to do this , but it was un-avoidable-hope to keep the looks of the rear bed as stock as possible , -it,s what i know , it,s what i like.

ready to leave the current locale-

look who came to help-dumpy!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

m880 unimog

here are some box section adaptors i made up to allow the use of a tilt and bows - as the original M884 bed has been chopped down by 22 inches , i knew i,d need a special one made from sctratch-

i got some 60 x 30mm box section , which fits in the stake side slots a treat-

i TIG,d a cap with a captive m6 nut to each of the 6 adaptors-

then i bent up some 20mm o.d. CDMS tube to replicate the profile of the rear of the cab-

i will weld tabs and plate hooks to secure it all together , at a later date-one of those ' LATER JOBS' -must be #123 by now-

i also got the winch damper/brake -bracket arc welded with 6013,s to the chassis-

im away for a while working on the SPEEDWEEK bike , then moving into my new warehopuse [i hope]

was under manners from DOG to play our game-so had fun with him for an hour or so-ROLL ON SUMMER !!

Attachments

Last edited:

m880 unimog

well i got into my new place-it,s at the back of the local scrap metal yard , so im in heaven , there,s also a traditional english cafe right outside the door-and it,s run by ENGLISH people !
we got real clear fresh weather , great on the bikes but seriously cold [i know some of our northern states and canadian friends would tell me it,s just mild...]
few shots from last few days....
my brotjher AJ- came to help out,so did regular hubzy-lucky to have friends and famil;y that dont mind a bit of grease and grief..
hooked her up and dragged her out.....
few of the green children-
went to my mates welding shop , plasma cut the tempory engine mounts out-
built a tempory lifting frame-
lifted motor and trans with pull lift-
set the motor and trans in correct position-
finnish welded the mounts and fitted the new transmission cross-member -
looking forward to starting work on the pipework, and desighning the wiring -

Attachments

Last edited:

zout

M880 - just went through your thread - it looks like total chaos and I think I saw some of them fellas hanging around you on the Black Adder show.

The total chaos is organized production and work in progress - your groups work is outstanding when a step is done. Looks like it is coming together nicely and a tip of the hat from over here in Georgia.

I would have throught with hard work like that you fellas would be eathing fish & ships instead of bacon sandwiches - but the beer stays.

:driver:

jbingvtx

I have been following your build...just fantastic! Seeing the profile with the body pieces assembled AWESOME!! I can't wait to see some video of your M-880 off road.
:beer:

m880 unimog

I think I saw some of them fellas hanging around you on the Black Adder show.

:driver:
ha! ha! black adder-those were the days-really it,s just me doing most all of the building- hence the chaos-the guys are always there for me when it,s time to lift something i cant alone or major vehicle movements,MARK at brooklands welding has been a god send on this build as he has a rib cracking humour , a plasma cutter and 3 tonne forklift-he also has the alloy TIG skills i aim for in ten years.
"to create, you must first destroy" malcom Mclaren
the truck is just one of my WAY TOO MANY projects-im spread pretty thin.
great to hear from georgia,we may be over there in a few months looking at some hot rod and two wheeled project donors-

Attachments

Last edited:

m880 unimog

I have been following your build...just fantastic! Seeing the profile with the body pieces assembled AWESOME!! I can't wait to see some video of your M-880 off road.
:beer:
hey bing , im real keen to get into some terrain too-still a long road with fabrication to go-im just getting the shopping lists sorted out for the air over oil brakes-having to almost completely renew all pipework and fittings-got the bonneville racer to do lots on -and im just off over to my spiritual home-
IRELAND-EIRE-EIRINN:beer:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW, what a VERY VERY IMPRESSIVE build! NICE work, I gotta subscribe to this thread...

Thanks for sharing, that is fantastic!

m880 unimog

thanks-always a pleasure to hear from any member of the NRA-
i sometimes wonder when i,ll get time to get it all these jobs done!-but im still mad keen on it -so-
got the diesel tank hacked and whacked-used the stock unit that went with the cummins donk-that way i can order-fuel filters,use the stock lines, and have the level sender function as it did.
sadly, since moving into my new warehouse i have had almost ZERO spanner time on the truck-preparations for BONNEVILLE SPEEDWEEK and general motorcycle fiddling are taking up way too much time-
however- i did get my workshop heater project started-and ...finnished :jumpin:-it,s just a pleasure to have a heated workshop,as the schitzo weather here in england jumps from warm sun and blue skies to rain then snow-this just burns palletts and small logs-it heats up the whole top workshop-never getting outta here now!

Attachments

m880 unimog

digging this thread up from the mud and getting up to date-seems like i,ve lived a few different lives since i last posted any progress or got any time on this truck.
did a bit towards the roll over bar-
this is just the first few bars and is NOWHERE NEAR the finished job-
it is planned to extend over the cab - giving a roof rack and spot light mount , also planned is a neat fitment i have made to allow the fitting of diving board to the top of the cab-
here,s a few lousy phone pics-
glad to be back on the tools with this build-alrthough it,s getting cold here-i,ve plenty of lo0gs laid in

Attachments