• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bobbed M880/CUMMINS hybrid

m880 unimog

just typed a big old story on progress,tried to add another picture and lost the lot-i,ll stick to being short-:evil:

got a load of parts arriving-nothing bar the wheels are bolt on -still months of fab work-:grin:

got ram and made the bottom pivot mounts.

line bored on lathe to accept 1-00" hardened pins.

ram will have to be mounted 2-00" off centre-i hope this wont cause me problems.it will never be used to tip much weight.

cut out the cross members and some gusseting for the tipper frame,hope to do the welding tomorrow-i will not miss tripping over this hunk of steel contraptioning-:jumpin:
got some more bracing to cut for the tipper frame and desighn the rear bed landing posts.once i get this mess layed up and working right,it,s paint and the rear bed can go on.then i,ll have somewhere to throw all the parts of this truck that i have been climbing over and endlessly moving around my tiny workshop-

i am collecting my 12.50 x 20 flavoured wheels next week-i have cut a nice deal with a local guy [ who has supplied me with used military tyres for decades ]- for five used michelin XZL,s-but no rush for these.

this winter i plan on stripping each wheel station in turn and getting everything right.more pictures soon.

cheers.

Attachments

m880 unimog

today was productive,set the ram up and took lots of measures.

roughed out the top pivot mounts and finnish bored.

measured up the underbraces for the tipper frame to stop it twisting during tipping.

cut out lots of pieces of box section steel,linished edges,cleaned and marked it all up.

layed it all up on the welding bench,and tacked the braces together with their mounts.

clamped all this up and finnish welded,i,m slowly getting the hang of this TIG welder,it,s all about getting comfortable-and knowing which settings to put in there.im grinding the tungstones less and less , but then ,all of a sudden it,s contams up again for no apparant reason.

having spent a lot time and effort building my little machine shop,its good to finally be using the blue glue and all the other handy metal persuading machines i have gathered over the years.

Attachments

m880 unimog

hey gunny-got it clamped up like this-and it goes up n down like a 'lady of the night,s under garments':shock:

i will stand by for advices.

the last picture is of the bed landing points,these will have a female counterpart- [dont we all] and sit on a NYLATRON washer to quiet the rattles down.the bed will also have a 2.5 tonne ratchet strap to secure it for of road running.

Attachments

Last edited:

m880 unimog

thanks again gunny-your beer stash is piling up round here! i have looked at getting the ram angle as steep as possible,looking at it now i can see that the weight of the bed would force down onto the ram sections,possibly bending them,at worst and at best causing 'stiction' like on highly streesed motorcycle forks-i can also see that a steeper angle will let the oil do the work and not the metal of the cylinder sections-

it,s looking like i may have enough room to mount my air cylinders up inside the rear wheel arch,with them remaining in-situ as the body tips -again i,ll need to rig things up to see where i am here-

lots of template making and measuring going onaua

i hope to have some slightly more interesting pictures one of these days!!

p.s. the MOPAR powered SPEED DEMON just went 447mph exit speed at bonneville salt flats-this is with a 347 CUI motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and when that broke they went 445 mph with a 299CUI motor-incredible-MOPAR POWER.

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too bad that stash of beer is on the wrong side of the pond for me to enjoy it. aua

Now your on the right track with the lift cylinder angle. I've seen these cylinders extend under load then not want to retract if they are laid out too flat.

Do you have enough room to stash the airtanks under the cab on the outside of the framerails?

m880 unimog

Too bad that stash of beer is on the wrong side of the pond for me to enjoy it. aua
not for me it,s not!:)...we,ll meet at bonneville speedweek mate!

got a load of fab and parts-

finally settled on design and position? of bottom ram mount-AT LAST.

this was all cut & ground from some rusty old stuff that was laying around,it cut real nice,reasonable amount of carbon in it.

drilled de-burred and hammerite painted.

snugged up then torqued to 70lb-ft

got wheels-

these are tyres XZL,S

AND STARTED TO STRIP DOWN FIRST WHEEL STATION-uh shouting again-these were rusted solid and are going to be a bitch [ as usual ]

happy, and it,s nice to be working with gert lumps of iron and steel,as opposed to usual alloys and carbon/titanium.

Attachments

m880 unimog

hi busbart-they are used just real good shape-and cheap too-lys tout terrain [en france] wanted stupid money [trop cher] for the wheels and tyres-took me while but i saved a small fortune-

i need to get the rims blasted and painted then i will fit the newer XZL,s-these tyres really fatten thing,s up-

busbart

Ok, yes, you're right, he goes to Holland, Germany etc. and buys things there for the (almost) same price as we have to do, transports them to France, and then tries to sell them with a bonus! that's wet they call "the green gold"!!!

m880 unimog

i hear the son took over from the old man there and doesn,t look after all the old customers,the ones who in fact made the business from the start-i wont use them for anything again-

more importantly-

got some more fab done-this is the start of the top mount for the tipper ram-3/8" steel plate welded with 6013 to some 4 x 4" angle, the gussets bear down onto the box section which has a solid insert to give crush resistance and adds lateral strength along with the 4 x 4-it all bolts up with a combination of M12 & M10 H-T shouldered bolts and socket heads.
hope to get the hydraulic pack set up temporary this week and cycle the tipper a bunch and then decide if i need to add any more strength-as i just know im going to see how much this will push one day-you have to-

Attachments

m880 unimog

thanks! i sure will-we got winter coming in here,which wont help tho'-

got the top ram mount about done,still got to find a hunk of steel to run down inside the box section-

lined it all up-lifted the tipper up n down a few times,checked alignment and re did measures-all good-drilled pilot holes,final drilled to size on pillar drill,painted and bolted the brackets to the cross member-

then the sun came out so i wound two M12 bolts into the drum brake it came off easily.looks good,drum is clean and even,will clean the cylinders and hubs asap-and decide how much to do from there-

Attachments

m880 unimog

so i got the final part of the tipper frame layed up , drilled and bolted up-

then i went for my baby forklift-im just one guy on my own trying to get this thing built, the rough ground plays havoc with this little pallet loader-but it will lift the cummins engine easily,it,s just not too steady on anything less than billiard table smooth surfaces-i have to slot some steel sheet under there usually-it,s not ideal but it gets er done.

got the body lifted after some wrestling , pinch barring , winching , ratchet strapping , and clumping it with a lumber 6 x 6 - then it went for a burton and flattened my finger- got hot n cold pultices on it while im typing this and hope to be back working on my truck in half an hour-

i cut some thick wall 25 x 25mm box section to act as crush braces across the top of the tipper frame-and drifted these down inside the box section , i thought about doing this from a section of solid bar and sliding it inside, but decided to go for the easy way as i have so much to get done before winter sets in.

there,s a whole bunch of clearance issues with the underside of the bed and the top mount of the tipper ram , this being due to have to move the whole lot up to clear the winch cable-mr makita grinder, mr gas axe and mr milwaukee recip saw have all been informed.

Attachments

Last edited:

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
there,s a whole bunch of clearance issues with the underside of the bed and the top mount of the tipper ram , this being due to have to move the whole lot up to clear the winch cable-mr makita grinder, mr gas axe and mr milwaukee recip saw have all been informed.

Have you consulted with Johnny Walker and his brothers Black and Red?

jamesfrom180

Of the brothers Walker Blacky is my favorite, I've been watching for a while now on this I really can't wait to see this beast roll. Good luck closing out before the winter sets in.

m880 unimog

thanks guys really appreciate the encourage ment-

with regards to the delaware destroyers/JLHOOKER tunes- im irish whiskey all the way-john power gold label-bushmills 400 year anniversary-bushmills 16 year-and any JAMESONS at all-

my aim is to get this rusty rascal rolling for next summer-lots to do yet-i plan to order all the brake cylinder rebuild kits this week,and get two wheel stations rebuilt,painted and done so i can hoist the new wheels on just to see-:beer::beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks