• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I Start Changing Out Head Gaskets Today

dabtl

I start changing out the head gaskets today. I thought I had the leak into the oil fixed with the oil cooler repairs. But, yesterday I noticed the radiator cap, new, seeping AF from over pressure when the engine was still cool.

I figure the head gaskets are done. So, I take it to the mechanic today and the work should be done by Monday.

Rustygears

Honestly, after all the discussion, was there really anything wrong with the oil cooler requiring replacement? Most on the forum were suggesting the head gaskets from the first posting.

dabtl

Yes, I believe so. There are two o-rings in it. Mine were discolored and there was some AF in the oil. We changed it out and I drove it for a few months. Then in early November, when it cooled off around here I drove it and noticed what appeared to be some small amount of steam coming from the slobber tube.

I waited till it warmed up to worry about it because it is just too cold to fool with here. In Texas if it is below 50 it is called 'chilly.'

I changed the oil last week, started it a couple of times to check the pressuring of the radiator. Yesterday I noticed that even with the engine cold the pressure was causing a drip around the new radiator cap. Today I drove it to the garage to change the head gaskets, about four miles which allowed the engine to warm to the 200+ range. When we looked under the hood the slobber pipe was puffing like a locomotive. I pulled the dip stick and it puffed steam also.

I suspect the gaskets were weak, and perhaps leaking a bit earlier, but they finally gave it up now.

AGE|kshaufl

Sorry to hear that.

Hope that there was no damage to the bearings. How much AF in the oil? Was it milky? If so once the head gasket is changed and fluid changed I would check for filings every so often...2cents.

I hope everything comes out alright.

dabtl

The engine runs strong. There was some, not a large amount of AF in the oil. Perhaps half a pint total. When I drained the oil I felt better about driving it. But not too far! I do not drive it much, parades and such for the most part, and I think we may have gotten it when it finally coughed it up.

dabtl

I am wondering what others who have replaced the head gaskets experience after the change?

Normal running, shortened engine life or more problems?

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much does your mechanic get for a head gasket swap?

I wouldn't mind if we had to do ours or even help someone else out - I really want Soldier B to get some experience in that area.

I have a 454 under the bench in the garage - I've thought about gathering up some parts and going through it next year just to teach him. The only thing stopping me is I would have nothing to do with it when we got done. The Chevelle is running a hot small block again and I planning on leaving it in.

Good luck with your truck.

dabtl

I have a couple of projects with him. One is the M135 which we are putting to running again.

This will take about ten hours. I expect about $500 for the labor. I also am paying for the valve work and flattening the heads. I expect that to be several hundred also.

But, I may just buy a couple of new heads for about the same price.

G-Force

How much does your mechanic get for a head gasket swap?

I wouldn't mind if we had to do ours or even help someone else out - I really want Soldier B to get some experience in that area.

I have a 454 under the bench in the garage - I've thought about gathering up some parts and going through it next year just to teach him. The only thing stopping me is I would have nothing to do with it when we got done. The Chevelle is running a hot small block again and I planning on leaving it in.

Good luck with your truck.

WOW Dug............
You actually named your kid "Soldier B"??????
That's taking this hobby to a new extreme!!!!!
I'll bet the Chevelle is green huh.......you got it REAL BAD!!!!!!:shock:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW Dug............
You actually named your kid "Soldier B"??????
That's taking this hobby to a new extreme!!!!!
I'll bet the Chevelle is green huh.......you got it REAL BAD!!!!!!:shock:
The Chevelle is white - the factory color. It was a funky purple when I bought it for 200 dollars in 1986.

I prefer to call my son "Soldier B" or "the boy" on the internet and not show too many direct photos. Too many freaks out there. I'm sure if you searched hard enough you could find out his name or get a pic, but this keeps the lazy nut at arms length.

Probably overkill, but it works for me.

joshuaz223

The Chevelle is white - the factory color. It was a funky purple when I bought it for 200 dollars in 1986.

I prefer to call my son "Soldier B" or "the boy" on the internet and not show too many direct photos. Too many freaks out there. I'm sure if you searched hard enough you could find out his name or get a pic, but this keeps the lazy nut at arms length.

Probably overkill, but it works for me.

can't be to safe with kids. i keep my grandson in my sight and i always have a gun (legally) in my pocket.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is probably too late, but I cannot highly enough using the separate fire ring head gaskets. Eastern Surplus (215-598-8227) has them. They call them simply Multi-Fuel Engine Head Gasket w/separate fire rings. I have included a picture of the standard black gasket and the light red separate fire ring gasket. We have had two of the black gaskets fail, none of the red ones with fuel turned completely up (driving with good sense!!). They are $85 each, but well worth it. You can tell if your engine has them by looking for the little weep tabs that project beyond the head/block interface under the intake/exhaust manifold side.
Regards Marti

Attachments

dabtl

Pulled the heads off today. Number five cylinder has a part of the metal ring blown in to the cylinder area.

Could not have been long ago that it let go.

I will post pic tomorrow. It was the black gaskets.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wow, this gets confusing fast. I was under the impression that the separate fire rings were not as stable as the newer gaskets.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks