• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I Start Changing Out Head Gaskets Today

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have red's single piston air compressor from his seized multifuel (with around ~1500 miles on it) I am going to put on my truck and see if that changes anything. (My air compressor is also a single piston).

Last night I disassembled and cleaned both air compressor's air filter. Both had oil black filter elements but brake cleaner washed red's right up, while it seems mine is more baked on as brake cleaner didn't clean mine at all. I'll probably need to soak it in a solution.

IMG_0238.jpg

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mine is the same way Valence. I have often wondered if mine is pressurizing the crankcase as well. I have no real noticeable oil loss but do get some rear main seal seepage. SS member Cattlerepairman told me to check for smoke coming out of the oil filler cap when it is removed. Also told me to put my hand over the opening and see if I can feel any pressure building. Mine also is very loud especially when the truck first starts. when the truck is idling and running you can hear it kick on very easily.
A NOS Midland compressor is $150 total delivered, just got one.

bonedoc

I too got one off of Ebay for about 150.00. I figured I nailed a lucky auction. I saw there was a SS member...or it may have been on a facebook forum made a bunch of NOS midland compressor for 200.00 each

TB58

I got one from mhb285 on here. Mine is sounding pretty rough and I realized the other day that there is no filter in the intake for the compressor.

red

Here's a poorly lit, and poorly aimed picture of my current air compressor. It sure appears a lot more oily than I've ever noticed before (in better light). It looks like oil is leaking around the air intake and even out through the air intake, and dripping down all over the base of the air compressor.

At initial inspection, this does seem to support that oil is getting past the piston ring and being pushed out on the intake stroke and then on the compression stroke air is getting blown past the piston ring into the crank case.

Also if the air intake is breathing oil this explains why I'm seeing oil in the "wet" air tank drain. Though, given the way the outside of this air compressor looks, I'm surprised I'm only seeing a couple drops of oil come out of the air tank.

View attachment 586396

Another thing we found on his deuce with the air compressor. With the engine off Valence turned his air compressor pulley by hand while I had my hand sealing the slobber tube from the engine. As he cycled the compressor it was pressurizing the engine.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
as per posts 43 + 44
A NOS Midland compressor is $150 total delivered, just got one.
NOS midland from SS member mhb285

see post 7 in here
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?142780-NOS-Midland-compressors-for-sale&p=1779284#post1779284

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks