• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 Crew Cab Build Starts

oldMan99

so what your saying its going to look stupid with the door opeing like that?
First: VERY nice looking build so far!! I want to see it when your done!.

As for the door question: Seems to me a LOT of work for no gain at all in functionality. In fact, your likely to get a REDUCTION in functionality for all your efforts. Almost all of the attempts to do something like that, on close inspection look like cr4p. After a few months of use you can almost always see cracks in body filler, hinges starting to fail or rip loose, doors no longer fit properly and so on. It takes a LOT of work and engineering to make a system that will really hold up over time, not fall apart and continue to look good with the abuse of people not really understanding how to properly operate the door, swinging on the door, slamming the door, road vibration, frame twist/flex.... blah, blah, blah....

As for looking cool, I have never really liked gull wing doors (Delorian) or bat wing doors (Some of the super high $$ super fast super low to the ground imported sports cars). Doors are doors. Installing electric windows and locks wound be way more "Cool" to me than screwing around with making them open weird.

Your installing carpet in the truck so I am assuming your not going to be beating this thing in the woods and mud hole. If you were going to do that then I would say no to the electric windows/locks. But it sounds like your making a nice big family truck, so makes sense to have the fancy electric windows/locks.

Install a really good A/C system with some custom ducting that looks factory. Get some of that spray on sound and temperature insulation and coat the entire underside, firewall and inside. Spray the inside of the doors, under the dash.. Everywhere. Then carpet and upholstery over that. Make it as quiet, comfortable and generally nice inside (While still maintaining that rugged, tough as nails military look) as you can. To me that would be a lot cooler that funky opening doors....

Any plans to upgrade to a more modern, more powerful power plant, maybe an automatic trans? (Again, cooler and WAY more functional than funny opening doors)...

Of course it is YOUR truck and not mine, you do what makes YOU happy.. :driver:

ApopkaFL

Banned
I thought and yes the gull wing doors is just that a ( Thought ) I am though going to Suicide the doors and maybe If i can get my self a Fiber Glass Hood have it open either to the front or one side. OldMan99 where in polk county are you ? I am over between winter haven and bartow at a friends house building the truck. I ordered some smoke glass for the windshield I took out the 5" from the top of the windshield ( Lookinf for another A3 softtop) Need to add to mine. I may end up having one built.

My friend Randy Baldwin builds BIG gospel tents and ships them all over the world. His people can take my top use it as a pattern and build me one to suite the new truck. I will not be able to be there this week as I am here in Orlando getting a frame from another truck to do the lift with. 8" lift with 53 xzl its goiing to be a BIG truck. But nice once its done.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

asgtoolman

I would still think that suicide doors for the rear would be neat; should be able to swap left and right doors to opposite sides without too much difficulty. Gull-wing, bat-wing, and drop-down don't make sense for the overall degree of difficulty and the future reliability.
Build is looking great; keep on keeping us up-to-date!

ApopkaFL

Banned
Are you planning to suicide all the doors or just the rear? Doing the fronts is going to create some ingress and egress problems for the driver. Also, as far as blinging it up with PW PDL Heated seats and the like, Devilman96 did similar on a bobbed project. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...build-update-pics.html?highlight=diablo+build

Thanks for think link and your input. I am going to study his mod and do the power windows and shave handels as well now.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The crew cab A3 is sweet. Nice work so far. Have we seen a CC A3 yet? I don't think I have. Suicides on the rear doors might be cool, makes me think of a 1962 Lincoln. It's your truck, do what you want, but FWIW my vote is no gull wing or bottom hinged doors.

ApopkaFL

Banned
went down to see how things were coming on the truck. Not a lot has been done they have other stuff they need to finish. The truck is being done by a freind and he can only work on it when there is not a lot to do around his shop or when I am there, I have been real busy lest few weeks. I hope to be able to take off in a few weeks to go finish it up. They did cut the Deuce bed down to size. I am waiting on spare donor frame to do the lift with. I bought seats I am picking them up this week. Here is photo of the bed. Sorry I have not got a lot to update on I will soon.

Rodman

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks