• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

rustystud

I know in Wisconsin if you have too many vehicles you have to register your property as a salvage yard. lol Maybe that would have been cheaper for him.

You have to be zoned for a salvage yard. If your not in the proper area to be zoned for a salvage yard there is no way you can become one. Plus the taxes are also terrible !

daytonatrbo

Brought mine home last night!!

Today I took the headlight switch out to see if there was any chance of rebuilding it. Looks like it potted together.
I removed the tailgate from the bed because there some significant damage back there. After I straighten the tailgate I need to do some heavy tin knocking on the bed.

Tomorrow I pickup the M109 shop van that came as a package deal!

SRB1976

I've done quite a bit. Besides picking it up about a week ago. I got it insured and registered. I had a little trouble getting insurance on it but State farm came through for me. I raised the idle to 750 per the TMs (M35a3). I've just been having a blast driving it around.:tank:

Attachments

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used mine to haul away a poorly built shed I finally got around to tearing down, as well as other various junk left inside. The shed was acting as part of the fence too. Ugh.

2015-06-16 19.12.23.jpg 2015-06-16 20.09.52.jpg

Sweet foundation. :roll:
Mixture of pressure treated and non treated with the boards turned the wrong way (face down instead of edge down & the non-treated lumber was rotten) and a hap-hazard array of brick "supports" under the boards.
2015-06-17 09.37.16.jpg

Yup, used some of the shed siding to temporarily patch the fence, until I save up for a better fence.
2015-06-17 16.14.47.jpg 2015-06-18 21.14.26.jpg

My brother pointed out that this looks like we're in the middle of no-where, dumping on BLM land! Lol, the wrong text on this picture could create a huge internet outcry by little minded people. We're actually at the Integrated Waste Management Dump just east of Hill AFB. If you look closely, that's a big pad of concrete we're parked on.
2015-06-17 15.04.02.jpg

The scale on the way in said the combined weight of two passengers, deuce, trailer, and debris was 19,400 lbs (I didn't get to weigh on the way out). The lady at the scale window looked out and said, "Well, it's just a single axle trailer so $5.00 I guess." Knowing that the M105 is rated and capable of hauling much more than typical civilian single axle trailers I even said, "Are you sure, it's pretty full...". To which she replied, "Yep, it's just a single axle trailer."

I love when stuff pays for itself!

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used mine to haul away a poorly built shed I finally got around to tearing down, as well as other various junk left inside. The shed was acting as part of the fence too. Ugh.

View attachment 567824 View attachment 567825

Sweet foundation. :roll:
Mixture of pressure treated and non treated with the boards turned the wrong way (face down instead of edge down & the non-treated lumber was rotten) and a hap-hazard array of brick "supports" under the boards.
View attachment 567829

Yup, used some of the shed siding to temporarily patch the fence, until I save up for a better fence.
View attachment 567831 View attachment 567832

My brother pointed out that this looks like we're in the middle of no-where, dumping on BLM land! Lol, the wrong text on this picture could create a huge internet outcry by little minded people. We're actually at the Integrated Waste Management Dump just east of Hill AFB. If you look closely, that's a big pad of concrete we're parked on.
View attachment 567830

The scale on the way in said the combined weight of two passengers, deuce, trailer, and debris was 19,400 lbs (I didn't get to weigh on the way out). The lady at the scale window looked out and said, "Well, it's just a single axle trailer so $5.00 I guess." Knowing that the M105 is rated and capable of hauling much more than typical civilian single axle trailers I even said, "Are you sure, it's pretty full...". To which she replied, "Yep, it's just a single axle trailer."

I love when stuff pays for itself!
You've just earned the honorary title: DEMOLITION MAN !

:goodjob:

M1031CMT

She is getting a lot of maintenance and body work done, so the box was removed to make working on her a lot easier. Not sure if the box will go back on at this point.

deuce1.jpgdeuce2.jpgdeuce3.jpg

Lifting it off the frame was easy. Removing all the bolts holding it down that were coated by the military in undercoating spray was not.

daytonatrbo

She is getting a lot of maintenance and body work done, so the box was removed to make working on her a lot easier. Not sure if the box will go back on at this point.

Lifting it off the frame was easy. Removing all the bolts holding it down that were coated by the military in undercoating spray was not.
I may be selling the box off my 109 (sacrilege, I know). That wrecker sure makes it look easy.

Does it actually weight in at 5k lbs empty, or is that the weight of it with whatever used to be inside?

M1031CMT

I don't see it weighing that much empty. Mine has a camper setup inside (still not much extra weight) and the wrecker didn't seem to strain at all picking it up at full extension. Maybe 2000lbs empty I would guess.

I would imagine that it is 5000lbs full of whatever gear was installed inside the back (machine shop, radio gear, parts storage, etc). Though when they say 5000lbs, I believe that is the maximum amount of weight it is rated to be hauled in/on the truck.

Having it on the ground is an odd feeling when I go inside the box. So use to getting in the back with a set of stairs. I am thinking this would make a nice camper for someone if they put it on a trailer.

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see it weighing that much empty. Mine has a camper setup inside (still not much extra weight) and the wrecker didn't seem to strain at all picking it up at full extension. Maybe 2000lbs empty I would guess.

I would imagine that it is 5000lbs full of whatever gear was installed inside the back (machine shop, radio gear, parts storage, etc). Though when they say 5000lbs, I believe that is the maximum amount of weight it is rated to be hauled in/on the truck.

Having it on the ground is an odd feeling when I go inside the box. So use to getting in the back with a set of stairs. I am thinking this would make a nice camper for someone if they put it on a trailer.
I've seen pictures before of those boxes still mounted on the deuce frame and rear axles and it made into a pintle towed trailer. I think that'd be pretty sweet myself and I certainly wouldn't mind owning one of those, but probably not a reality right now...

daytonatrbo

yeah, I was thinking it would make a great storage shed if I didn't already have an offer on it.

Thank you for the response.

mjcdetroit

I'm a new member, my name is Lane. I'm at 7 and Livernois. If you need help wrenching let me know. I need to start learning the deuce. Thanks.
Welcome Lane. No wrenching in the near future. I'm not too far from you--i696 & i75.

There is a meet and eat for M.V. owners/enthusiasts the first Monday of the month near Lansing. You should check it out. I'll try to find a link.
Found: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=78294

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

I installed two 12VDC power ports in the existing dash holes for charging the cell phone & running the camera. Then installed a 1" hose from the air compressor intake to the air filter housing to make fording a reality if needed.

rustystud

you
I installed two 12VDC power ports in the existing dash holes for charging the cell phone & running the camera. Then installed a 1" hose from the air compressor intake to the air filter housing to make fording a reality if needed.
Are you getting ready to do something crazy ? ! Like alligator hunting in the everglades ? LOL !! Just asking . Actually I started to fit out my truck for deep water Fording. I have started to hook up all the gears ( differentials and transfer case and transmission ) connected up to a low pressure air system. I recently bought a 3 PSI gauge and micro regulator and flow adjuster for this purpose. My fuel tanks are vented to the fire wall with the other vents (brakes) also.

FloridaAKM

Naahh, gator hunting can be done behind the house without the Deuce, if the river would get some water in it. I was just checking out the engine when it dawned on me that I had 5 feet of 1" radiator hose that was bought for the slobber tube replacement (but was too small) & it fit both the compressor intake & the pipe on the side of the air cleaner, so I trimmed it to size & installed it. I always wondered why there is no filter on the compressor intake. Your pressurizing setup is way more involved than I want to get @ this time, but it sounds like a winner. Carry on!

Another Ahab

LOL !! Just asking . Actually I started to fit out my truck for deep water Fording. I have started to hook up all the gears ( differentials and transfer case and transmission ) connected up to a low pressure air system.
Your pressurizing setup is way more involved than I want to get @ this time, but it sounds like a winner. Carry on!
Do either of you two have the middle name of "Noah"!?

Like, maybe you all know something that the rest of us don't....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks