• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

77 AMG

"Skookum" makes an extremely fine snatch block.
I like to think so, rustystud. i looked Skookum up on line, and, just WOW. The prices are a bit nuts, to say the least. I got this beast for $400, so, I guess that isn't too bad, all pricing considered. The pulley turns smoothly, and the OD, almost CARC feeling/looking, paint is in really nice condition, so I get to figure out where to carry it on the truck....

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Was just thinking all the stuff the truck did, like making jobs for me I would not otherwise do.
Never posted most of it, for instance is mulched the beds in 20017, a buck a cubic foot.
mulch 04242017 IMG_3240.jpg
and that 28 foot of chain is now for sale.

Fatalid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I’m still working out all the kinks with my *almost* daily driver... which is a good thing.

I have been a little unhappy with the steering seeming to wander all over the place... and it didn’t occur to me until I was reading some other threads that my issue may have something to do with radial vs NDT tires. Sure enough, I have some radial retreads on the front axle.

It seems that there is a lot of information, and varying opinions on the proper set-up for radials. Some people flip their leaf spring seats (shims) which results in 10 degrees of axle tilt, others suggest modifying the seats so you get about 4 degrees, others play with their tire pressure, and still others say that re-aligning the front tires to a 0 toe-in is what needs to happen.

So... with so many variable to play with, I started with what I felt would be the easiest and make the most difference, and I adjusted the toe-in.

The truck had 1/8” toe-in originally, and I brought it to 0.

IT DRIVES SO MUCH BETTER! Strange that such a small adjustment can help out so much!

Once I get my new tires on her, I may have to work with some of the other variables, but for right now, I’m not going to change anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77 AMG

You *really* should ditch the RETREAD tires on the steer axle. If you loose a 'tread, a blowout is going to be next, usually within the next 1/2 mile, not to mention that DOT says *NO* to retreads on the steer axle. They are okay on the rear, however.

MudMarine

You *really* should ditch the RETREAD tires on the steer axle. If you loose a 'tread, a blowout is going to be next, usually within the next 1/2 mile, not to mention that DOT says *NO* to retreads on the steer axle. They are okay on the rear, however.
I don't believe that the no retreads on the front is accurate anymore but I very well could be wrong on that...

"Question 3: May a vehicle transport HM when equipped with retreaded tires?

Guidance: Yes. The only Commercial Motor Carrier (CMV) that may not utilize retreaded tires is a bus, and then only on its front wheels."

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/393.75

This is just not the typical practice for over the road truckers. You see it more commonly in local delivery trucks

Last edited:

Fatalid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
10-4

That was the plan. Next big project is the new wheels and tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77 AMG

I don't believe that the no retreads on the front is accurate anymore but I very well could be wrong on that...

"Question 3: May a vehicle transport HM when equipped with retreaded tires?

Guidance: Yes. The only Commercial Motor Carrier (CMV) that may not utilize retreaded tires is a bus, and then only on its front wheels."

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/393.75

This is just not the typical practice for over the road truckers. You see it more commonly in local delivery trucks
Well, maybe things have changed *more* than I recall in the last 4-5 years than I am aware. Still, solid practice to NOT tempt trouble by running re-caps on the steer axle. I came off of the road about 5 years ago, fwiw.

Kaiser67M715

Well, maybe things have changed *more* than I recall in the last 4-5 years than I am aware. Still, solid practice to NOT tempt trouble by running re-caps on the steer axle. I came off of the road about 5 years ago, fwiw.
Most states can have more laws over DOT regulations as well, I know several states have the no re-treads/caps on steer axles of trucks over 26,000GVW, or busses. In any case, it is wise to not use retreads, particularly if they are older then 5 years.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For what it is worth, losing an old front tire on a medium duty truck is not a fun experience. My right front tire on my TopKick blew out driving on I-5 in Oregon. It was all I could do to stop and keep the truck on the road and not in the guard rail where it wanted to go. This truck is near the Deuce in weight, has power steering and power brakes. The tire destroyed the fender and bent the bumper so badly I had to use a 2" ratchet strap anchored to the guard rail I almost slammed into to pull the bumper out enough to put the tire on. I was lucky and was able to contact a tire shop that had road side service and then followed the tech to their shop and replaced the other front. The damage to the truck would cost more than both tires, although I was able do it myself for less but it isn't a perfect repair. Basically it scared me pretty good and even being very frugal I am not running marginal tires anymore. I thought about if I had been driving my Deuce with the manual steering and I am afraid I would have gone into the guard rail, Also the pieces if tread hit the brake hose pretty good too and on a single circuit brake system like the Deuce that could have been a horrible thing on top of the manual steering. After this I tend to look at tire cost a bit different. It took a long time to not get nervous when driving on poorly maintained highways because it feels very much like loosing that front tire, BTW I have also lost a rear tire on that same truck and it was annoying due to the time to stop for a tire but there was no loss of control and I was able to continue to drive just at lower speeds.

77 AMG

^THIS guy gets it. Heck of a ride, ain't it? I had an aluminum wheel come off of my BII, driver front, as I went into a right curve. THAT was an eye opener! The steel "wear" inserts in the wheel had come loose and allowed the lugnuts to back off, with expected results. No damage to anything, fortunately, except for me scrapping the full set of alloy wheels the next day. Shows that no matter what, things will happen "just because".

Last edited:

rustystud

I whole heartedly agree with both of y'all! You just may not have to fear the lawman if all you have is retreads.
Actually that is not quite true. According to the "Industry Recommended Practices for Tire Retreading & Tire Repairing" retreads are not recommended for the front axle of "long haul trucks" . There are also individual state laws that prohibit using retreads on the front axle of trucks. So if you get in an accident and it was caused by tire failure your insurance company can say you where violating the law and deny your claim, and potentially get a ticket too !
Also according to the tire retreaders association driving in hot summer weather can cause the retread tire to separate. So for safety reasons alone I would never run retreads on the front axle.
Now just to stir the pot a bit. Retreads have come a long way in quality and longevity.
Many states are now allowing them on all axles. So you need to know your individual state law.
That is another reason most all "long haul truckers" never use retreads on the front axle. You never know what the laws are on retreads in the state your in, so just play it safe.

Last edited:

rustystud

I like to think so, rustystud. i looked Skookum up on line, and, just WOW. The prices are a bit nuts, to say the least. I got this beast for $400, so, I guess that isn't too bad, all pricing considered. The pulley turns smoothly, and the OD, almost CARC feeling/looking, paint is in really nice condition, so I get to figure out where to carry it on the truck....
Read the "Skookum" design characteristics and you will see they only use high quality steel in all their snatch blocks. No cheap Chinese steel here ! Also most are engineered to handle 30% over rated load. So yes they demand a high price and get it too !
I researched snatch blocks a few years ago, trying to find some good ones for my deuce. I really wanted to buy some "Skookum" ones but the price was too high. I guess that is where the saying " that is built real Skookum " comes from. My father used to say that a lot.

77 AMG

Hey, rustystud. I checked the Skookum website, as you suggested, and it is very nice to know that I now own a 100% American made piece of gear that also has a solid history of use. Based on what I saw for E-bay listings, maybe I should feel bad about only paying $400 for mine... Nah. I love pawnshops. mostly.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WEll i now have aq working winch on the project M35Aq2 ive beenn posting about. Time to adjust the winch run out grake. I am having a challange aligning the spring loaded bolt to catch the brake pad .

Im preparing to fabricate another bolt with a tapered tip, so as the start and alighn it.
Am I missing something?

Attachments

fpchief

On the M109, I got the first layer of flooring installed and caulked. I received my new HH button clip from Big Mike...got the new orings and HH re-installed along with new return lines and fittings to spruce things up a bit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love posts that make you think about items you have stored away and don't recall details or had a specific use when you got it, better than finding loose change under the sofa cushions. I look forward to seeing what treasure you discover.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I love posts that make you think about items you have stored away and don't recall details or had a specific use when you got it, better than finding loose change under the sofa cushions. I look forward to seeing what treasure you discover.
Every time I clean my garage or barn, its like Christmas. So many things I've forgot I had.

It also really sucks when you know you have something and then try to find it...

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every time I clean my garage or barn, its like Christmas. So many things I've forgot I had.

It also really sucks when you know you have something and then try to find it...
. I have boxes, cans and shelves full of hardware. Bolts, washers, nuts and screws in the hundreds. I have cases of doodads, thingamajigs, whatsits and some truly bizarre stuff that I can’t even classify. And every time I need a partiitem, I have to go through all of it to find what I need. Case in point, I needed 52 one inch brackets. The ones with one hole in each “leg”. I found the first 40 in about 10 minutes. It took me three days to find the rest. :roll::roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks