• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a nice looking hard-top. It doesn't look conventional. Some kind of plastic? Where did you get that?
I think I remember a thread where he built it 2 months ago or so.. can't find the thread. It is all steel was a really nice professional job

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Kaiser67M715

Replaced my speedo cable, the transfer case end broke free of the cable itself and was just free spinning. Only took me an hour to get all tools, inspect the old cable and install new one.

Tomorrow my dad is taking her in to be inspected, barring anything major I missed over my inspection it should be back with a sticker tomorrow.

I cut it close to the end of the month to register and inspect, but 70 hard work hours a week, plus trying to get my '85 GMC on the road hasn't lent much free time my way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kml9705

Stoplight switch was bad, hydraulic side. so today I installed the upgrade to the air side. Finished this and all lights were working fine. Went for a ride and when I came back, my blinkers weren't working aua So now I have to figure out that issue. I guess I'll work on that tomorrow.

I've also wanted to play with the winch but not knowing what shape the internals were in I have been hesitant. Well, today I opened up the fill caps and couldn't see any fluids in there. I then went and pulled the drain plugs and to my surprise, nice clean gear oil came out :naner: Well, I replaced the gear oil with new stuff so I know it has the proper lubrication. I'll probably play with that tomorrow too if I have time.

Oil, Transmission Fluid and Fuel Filters are next on the list. I probably won't get to them till next week though. **** job is getting in the way till Monday :doh:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stoplight switch was bad, hydraulic side. so today I installed the upgrade to the air side. Finished this and all lights were working fine. Went for a ride and when I came back, my blinkers weren't working aua So now I have to figure out that issue. I guess I'll work on that tomorrow.

I've also wanted to play with the winch but not knowing what shape the internals were in I have been hesitant. Well, today I opened up the fill caps and couldn't see any fluids in there. I then went and pulled the drain plugs and to my surprise, nice clean gear oil came out :naner: Well, I replaced the gear oil with new stuff so I know it has the proper lubrication. I'll probably play with that tomorrow too if I have time.

Oil, Transmission Fluid and Fuel Filters are next on the list. I probably won't get to them till next week though. **** job is getting in the way till Monday :doh:
kml9705, check all your turn signal bulbs and connections. If you still have inoperative blinkers, the problem may be the (turn signal flasher control unit) the black box mounted on the drivers side inner fender inside the engine compartment. It's easy to replace. Just replaced mine for the second time in 10 years. Most of the time it's the culprit. Also may I recommend spin on oil filter adapters, the engine oil pressure will come up in 5 sec. compared to 15 sec., less engine wear on start up. They also make spin on adapters for your fuel filters. One of our members John Tennis (JATONKA) sells them.

Last edited:

nchittendon

Took her to work. Longest trip since the new rims/tires. I think it was a whole 7 miles. Part with stop/go traffic. Main leg with 50 mph limit. No issues to report. Got to work and temped the hubs. 80 degrees solid, all around. I think I've actually done something right!

18767833_10159016234925657_8281579953236384671_n.jpg18767883_10159008932650657_7768525865401885621_n.jpg

kml9705

kml9705, check all your turn signal bulbs and connections. If you still have inoperative blinkers, the problem may be the (turn signal flasher control unit) the black box mounted on the drivers side inner fender inside the engine compartment. It's easy to replace. Just replaced mine for the second time in 10 years. Most of the time it's the culprit. Also may I recommend spin on oil filter adapters, the engine oil pressure will come up in 5 sec. compared to 15 sec., less engine wear on start up. They also make spin on adapters for your fuel filters. One of our members John Tennis (JATONKA) sells them.
I'm thinking it's either the Flasher Control Unit or a bad ground. They were working prior to driving it home last week. By the time I got it home they were not working. 2 days later they worked fine. Took it for a ride yesterday and when I came back they were out again, but at least I had brake lights. I'll check them tonight again when I get home from work. They'll probably be working again, LOL.

I plan on upgrading to the spin on filters the next time I change the oil / fuel filters. The cost is what's keeping me from doing it now. Not knowing when they were changed last, I want to get an initial change done so I have a starting point for future maintenance.

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thinking it's either the Flasher Control Unit or a bad ground. They were working prior to driving it home last week. By the time I got it home they were not working. 2 days later they worked fine. Took it for a ride yesterday and when I came back they were out again, but at least I had brake lights. I'll check them tonight again when I get home from work. They'll probably be working again, LOL.

I plan on upgrading to the spin on filters the next time I change the oil / fuel filters. The cost is what's keeping me from doing it now. Not knowing when they were changed last, I want to get an initial change done so I have a starting point for future maintenance.
My experience is that when the flasher control unit goes bad it becomes intermittent, some times it works sometimes it doesn't. Both times my flasher unit went bad it acted in this way. But check your ground, lights, and connections before you replace it. During your check you may find some other things you want to address. Also sounds like your going in the right direction with your oil and fuel filters.

kml9705

My experience is that when the flasher control unit goes bad it becomes intermittent, some times it works sometimes it doesn't. Both times my flasher unit went bad it acted in this way. But check your ground, lights, and connections before you replace it. During your check you may find some other things you want to address. Also sounds like your going in the right direction with your oil and fuel filters.
Good to know on the flasher control, thanks. I'm hoping to have time to look it over tonight otherwise I won't get the chance till Monday. I did notice one of my blinker lights had a blackout buld in it. I have replaced it with the right one. I'm going to check all the other lights as well.

Last edited:

Akicita

Put new batteries in recently, and since she's been starting as soon as I push her button. : - )

Definitely saved a lot of time and sweat today, maybe some tools, too. Instead of removing an old stump and roots the old-fashioned way with a shovel, pickaxe, and maybe even a saw, I spent a minute wrapping a chain around the stump, looped it through the Pintel hitch, and gave the go pedal a light tap. Old stump out + ground nicely "plowed" for new plant = problem solved.

Didn't have as much luck when I tried that with another stump a week ago. Used a chain and the winch that time. Stump was partially rotted and broke when I tugged. Big pieces went flying but some remained in the dirt. Still can't run the mower back there. Will try to lift the remaining piece when I have the old tractor with the front loader out but that's for another forum then.

Sorry, no pictures this time but all y'all already know what a chain on a Deuce looks like anyway.

Akicita

Bought two new flag sets and mounted posts for the flag poles to make her look nice for Memorial Day. Invited a friend to come along for a ride. She had mentioned several times she wanted me to show her how to drive a Deuce.

Unfortunately, it rained most of the day, and my friend had to cancel (not because of the rain). We hope for better luck next time.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the fortune of making a rookie mistake with not having tight battery terminals and melted one of the battery terminals and ended up with a new battery thank God it was under warranty 😎then I installed some new shoes with gimpy glad he is around😁😁😁. sometime this week I'll install my new windshields and side windows

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

rustystud

I had the fortune of making a rookie mistake with not having tight battery terminals and melted one of the battery terminals and ended up with a new battery thank God it was under warranty then I installed some new shoes with gimpy glad he is around.

We all are glad "gimpyrobb" is around ! Even though all my dealings with him have been long distance, I can tell he is a "stand-up" kind of guy ! Maybe someday I will be lucky enough to meet him in person !

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it puts more load on a spring to adjust between us fat guys and the non fat guys, if you bottom out the seat on hard bumps/dips then some additional preload on the spring would help that, or if the seat really doesn't move much then you can back off and get more out of the suspension seat
Thanks, I need more pre-load. I'll crank on it & see if it helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks