• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for correct CARNAC info for M275

stancanpara

I'm feeling a little stupid here...

First of all, yes I have done MANY searches trying to find the information I need.... If I had found it, I would NOT be making this post and sounding (Feeling any way) so STUPID...

I have an M-275 Road Tractor. (This was my FIRST MV) Some years ago (about 8 or 9... I can't remember 'exactly':cookoo: ) I found it in a back lot of a sawmill (where I now work) under some logs and it had some trees growing up through it... They said it was purchased years ago, no clue when, but that it had sat in THAT spot for at LEAST the last 10 to 15 years... Got it out and though it is is in terrible shape, it does have a hard top.. ;-)

The harmonic balancer on the front of the crankshaft was gone, ( so for some time when they were still using it, were not turning the fan, water pump or generator :cookoo: ) . Got the parts from Saturn Surplus (they were awesome helping me get all the pieces I needed!!) Installed parts and belts... Drained the fuel tank of a bunch of crud, dropped the tank, took out the in tank fuel pump and pressure washed the inside, replaced the two main fuel filters, checked the oil and put fuel pump back in, hooked up the tank put fuel in the tank, hooked up a couple batteries and started it right up...:mrgreen:

The entire truck was painted white and I was told that that's the way it was painted when they got it.. after much pressure washing and a little sanding, I was able to see that the hood was at one time stenciled US ARMY (and still is under some coats of paint) but don't see any other numbers there... The front bumper was torn up, with both sides broken off... One piece was inside the truck and I found the other piece not too far from where the truck was sitting...any numbers etc that may have been on them are gone...

I was trying to get my data numbers together for Carnac to see if he can find any history on it, but when I went to enter the numbers, I realized that what I had didn't match up to what he specifically needs...

Not sure exactly which numbers are correct for CARNAC's use...??? MSN what ?

I was HOPING someone else here had gone through CARNAC with their own M-275 before and could help me out. Since he is doing this for free, I don't want to P1ss him off with cr@p information....:???:

The motor is an LD-465-1 and it has a turbo...

On the dash, it shows
Truck, Tractor, 2 1/2 Ton, 6x6 Multifuel M275
Stock No 2320-446-2479
Ser. No. M275
Mfr. Ser. No.165134 Model TK-D-42
Cont. No. FEB YR. MFD. 1964
DA-20-018-AMC-0398T

On the drivers side frame to the front of the axle is stamped 68 92L 10 32
On the drivers side frame to the rear of the axle is stamped 165134

So I am presuming that the Mfr Ser No is the VIN since it is stamped on the frame?

Here is what he requires...:???:

1. The more info you provide the quicker I can find your vehicle. Provide as much of the following as possible:

a. Serial Number (VIN number) ------without dashes or spaces (0123456789 correct, 0123-456789 incorrect)
b. Registration Number -----also without dashes
c. NSN without dashes -----uh, one more time, without dashes
d. Where you bought it
e. Bumper numbers if you can legibly read them

AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE NSN, PLEASE LOOK IT UP ON GOOGLE!!!!!! I don't know the NSN for an M151 or M38 or most others. A M35A2 or M35A2 w/w, or all the CUCV series, yes, I know those off the top of my head. Others NO.

And AT LEAST TELL ME WHAT TYPE OF VEHICLE IT IS SUCH AS A M35A2 WITH WINCH, A M105 TRAILER, ETC. I can normally tell but sometimes I have multiple vehicles when working with partial VIN's.

Thanks for any help on this...:???:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What you show as the stock number is the NSN. However you have it listed wrong. It should be 2320-00-446-2479. The VIN is 165134. The registration number i'd have to do some research (don't remember) you should be able to take some sandpaper to the side of the hood and get the hood numbers.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe you are corrcet: the serial nuber is the VIN.

I say go ahead and make a submission to the 2011 VIN info thread, along with your explanation and admission of stupidity!!

I don't think Carnac will refuse to assist, but he may require your additional assistance to obtain the required info.

Rick

stancanpara

What you show as the stock number is the NSN. However you have it listed wrong. It should be 2320-00-446-2479. The VIN is 165134. The registration number i'd have to do some research (don't remember) you should be able to take some sandpaper to the side of the hood and get the hood numbers.
The stock number is 2320-446-2479

NSN is the Stock No then? Thanks!

stancanpara

I believe you are corrcet: the serial nuber is the VIN.

I say go ahead and make a submission to the 2011 VIN info thread, along with your explanation and admission of stupidity!!

I don't think Carnac will refuse to assist, but he may require your additional assistance to obtain the required info.

Rick
How much of the explanation should I give him? :???:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I already checked this and found that it is indeed a 1964. The correct VIN (serial number) is indeed 165134. The registration (hood) number is 4G32??. The national stock number (which is common to all this model of vehicle) is 2320-00-446-2479. This stock number says it is a M275A1. Not sure if there is anything else I can give you. There is no record in my database for this specific serial number. There is only about 2 dozen in it and the nearest one is 165137. Before anyone makes an assumption, the registration numbers for all these vehicles about serial 164999 are not running sequentially.

Good Luck

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARNAC, is the hood number the same as the registration number? Just curious if it's related at all. Never mind just re-read your reply.

stancanpara

The number changed (I believe in the early 70's). The 00's are the country code where it was made 00/01 are United States.
OK, now I understand it a little better...:???: Thanks for your assistance! Much appreciated!

I was expecting to get the normal grumps crying about not searching well enough...:roll:

I've submitted a CARNAC request.... hope he can help... I would LOVE to at least know where the heck it came from.....

Thanks guys for your quick and helpful responses!!! [thumbzup]

Stan

stancanpara

WOW!!! Thanks for your time CARNAC!! you popped right in while I was thanking the other guys! :driver:[thumbzup]

Thanks for looking into it for me! Your time is much appreciated!

stancanpara

I already checked this and found that it is indeed a 1964. The correct VIN (serial number) is indeed 165134. The registration (hood) number is 4G32??. The national stock number (which is common to all this model of vehicle) is 2320-00-446-2479. This stock number says it is a M275A1. Not sure if there is anything else I can give you. There is no record in my database for this specific serial number. There is only about 2 dozen in it and the nearest one is 165137. Before anyone makes an assumption, the registration numbers for all these vehicles about serial 164999 are not running sequentially.

Good Luck
Was just thinking that if the Stock No or NSN No 2320-00-446-247 is the M275A1 version, would it be logical that 2320-446-2479 might be the M275 version that never got the upgrade? It appears that this might even be an original engine with the turbo added to it... as it is an LD-465-1 which is 'supposed' to be non turbo? And the data plate clearly shows Multifuel M275 not Multifuel M275A1? Or is the fact that the turbo was added actually make in an A1?

Doesn't really matter, but am just very curious because the more I know and can learn about this truck, the happier I am... ;-)

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was just thinking that if the Stock No or NSN No 2320-00-446-247 is the M275A1 version, would it be logical that 2320-446-2479 might be the M275 version that never got the upgrade? It appears that this might even be an original engine with the turbo added to it... as it is an LD-465-1 which is 'supposed' to be non turbo? And the data plate clearly shows Multifuel M275 not Multifuel M275A1? Or is the fact that the turbo was added actually make in an A1?

Doesn't really matter, but am just very curious because the more I know and can learn about this truck, the happier I am... ;-)
M275's were gassers, M275A1's were 427 multi's, M275A2's were LD or LDT465's. It is very common for parts (turbo's) to be added by the military. Most A1's were updated with LD or LDT motors. Being 1964 I would guess it was origionally a 427 equipped truck.

stancanpara

I also think it's amazing that the nearest S/N is only 3 digits off!:eek: Mine 165134 and your closest is 165137... or is this no big deal since relatively few were made?

I'm curious about the back ground of the 165137 truck...:driver:

stancanpara

M275's were gassers, M275A1's were 427 multi's, M275A2's were LD or LDT465's. It is very common for parts (turbo's) to be added by the military. Most A1's were updated with LD or LDT motors. Being 1964 I would guess it was origionally a 427 equipped truck.
That's interesting. Then why does the plate say Truck, Tractor, 2 1/2 Ton, 6x6 Multifuel M275?

If it were a gasser originally, making it the M275, then I wouldn't think it would say Multifuel on the data plate.... AND if the Multifuels were/are M275A1, why would the data plate NOT say M275A1?

Maybe it's just me, or I'm too tired to comprehend this, but it doesn't make sense... :???:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's interesting. Then why does the plate say Truck, Tractor, 2 1/2 Ton, 6x6 Multifuel M275?

If it were a gasser originally, making it the M275, then I wouldn't think it would say Multifuel on the data plate.... AND if the Multifuels were/are M275A1, why would the data plate NOT say M275A1?

Maybe it's just me, or I'm too tired to comprehend this, but it doesn't make sense... :???:
The plate was probably updated when the LD was put in. I have 5 different 275 plates, none say M275 multifuel.

stancanpara

The plate was probably updated when the LD was put in. I have 5 different 275 plates, none say M275 multifuel.
That's what mine says. I will take a photo of it tomorrow. It's way too late tonight. I've seen others that look like mine, one thread " Resurrecting a M275 Tractor. HELP!!! " shows one that looks like mine but he has (or someone has) used the point of a nail or a knife or something to scratch in "A1"

Does no one else have an original data plate that says Truck, Tractor, 2 1/2 Ton, 6x6 Multifuel M275 ????? :???:

I didn't realize how rare this old truck must be....????:wink:

I'm not confused on this point! My data plate shows this very clearly.

Across the top it shows:

Weight & Dimension Data-Truck, Tractor, 2 1/2 Ton, 6x6 Multifuel M275 Identification Data

Then down row by row:

Stock No. 2320-446-2479
Ser No. M275
MFD By Lansing Division
White Motor Co.
Lansing, Michigan, U.S.A.
Mfr. Ser. No.165134 Model TK-D-42
Cont. No. FEB YR. MFD. 1964
DA-20-018-AMC-0398T
U.S. Property

I'm NOT making this up!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks