• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M43 Resurrection

Ghostdriver

While O.P.I. Conga-Line Coral is a great color, it is a bit too orange to use to paint the cross. Not to mention that nail polish is the most expensive paint known to man. I wear gloves when I'm messing around with chemicals, and I have the extensive damage to my acrylic nails (like from setting a starter down on one) fixed every two weeks. I'm sure everyone will find that information very useful.

Here shortly, we will be pulling the manifold off the old engine for the sole purpose of retrieving the studs to use on the new one. Might actually be able to hit that starter button and have something happen in a week or so. There is a static display event at the end of this month for Homes for the Troops that is just up the road, and I'd really like to take it, even without it being painted up and pretty yet - I figured I could scotch tape little white pieces of paper with red crosses on the side of it, and everybody would get the idea.

Oldfart

If you use stainless steel bolts or nuts make sure to use antiseize compound to prevent gaulling.2cents

Ghostdriver did use antiseize. The intake manifold got the threads cleaned with a tap as well. She spent a while with some large bent picks cleaning the mud wasp or what ever kind of nest it was out of the intake. Amazing what happens to a part stored in the back of an M43 for 12 years. After the large deposits were removed the manifold got a nice water wash and blow dry.

Oldfart

Very nice - that tone of nail polish (and how does she keep them from getting marded up is beyond me) is almost the same color red as the CROSS - is she testing "tones" ?.

The purr of that engine is almost in sight.

Everyone caught the Krawler tires, flip flops and nail color, but I am surprised no one noticed the Yellow Python Air Hose.

zout

Ok now - I am a little slow I will admit - so not only do we stand by in suspensce and watch the build - NOW to have to look for the little hidden items like charades - I like that idea. OleFart and GD are messing with us now.

I think its all on purpose. Spends the whole morning setting up the photo shoot - going around aligning items in the shop just to see who will catch what

Oldfart

Ok now - I am a little slow I will admit - so not only do we stand by in suspensce and watch the build - NOW to have to look for the little hidden items like charades - I like that idea. OleFart and GD are messing with us now.

I think its all on purpose. Spends the whole morning setting up the photo shoot - going around aligning items in the shop just to see who will catch what

I confess that I have done that and no one noticed, but the python hose is another matter. It shows up in the musical slide show. Let me see if I can find the set up photo as well as the python hose.

Attachments

Oldfart

Todays photos. Manifold bolted on late in the day while it was cooler. Ghostdriver had to rob a few parts (manifold stud and some manifold locking nuts) off of some of our parts stuff. We left part of one of the studs in the old engine block.

Attachments

jets1959

Looking good, but maybe I missed something but I don't get what is going on in pic four in the first set with the pliers. Keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!!!:grd:

jets1959

Thanks, I just could not quite make it out. Good idea to chase the treads. Your both doing an excellent job for yourselves and the next person who has too disassemble this engine and truck. WAtch this restoration closely. My next project may be an ambulance, but probably a M1010 for spare part purposes.:beer:

1943ht

Ghostdriver outstanding !!! I see we are at about the same place on the rebuild .. this is my 1st M37 and I am having a ball putting it together. I too make use of the tap and die set to clean up before attaching goodies.. saves lots of headaches :-D

Looking forward to more progress reports and pics.

Ghostdriver

Dad is guiding me well, and is patiently watching me do things he could do one-handed and blindfolded. And answering all my dumb questions, like "Do the manifold gaskets get sealant too?" "No, they already have sticky stuff in them." He is also a stickler for taking the time to do things right - even if it means redoing something you just did. Saves a lot of trouble down the road (or not down the road, if you really screwed up).

I didn't throw the broken stud on the shop floor in a fit of temper, my brother did. But I would have, if I had been there. They did me a favor and took them out when I was at work. New manifolds went on a lot easier than the old ones came off, and I got to wander around in the boneyard looking for parts. Took two parts trucks to get a couple of studs and nuts (because we wanted the right locking nuts).

It must be really hard for my brother and dad to watch me plod through this thing, but they are respecting my wish to do as much of the work as I can myself. I'm stubborn that way. Gonna have to really haul hiney in the next couple of days - the Homes for the Troops display is this coming Saturday.

aggopian

I had a sign in my shop that read " Why is there never enough time to do it right but ALWAYS enough time to do it over?"

Take your time, double and triple check everything and if you're not sure check it again.

Nice build and good luck!

Oldfart

July 26 progress with engine reassemble. Carb and vent lines. Ghostdriver got a visit from her brother who just had to twist a couple of bolts on the thermostat by-pass. She had a near disaster that wound up only bruising her shirt. Discovered more cracked brass fittings that had to be replaced. Someone had way too much gorilla when they put the civilian manifold on the military engine AND they left some of the nuts off the studs.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ghostdriver

Got the whole carb assembly transferred to the new engine, reattached almost all of the fuel and other supply lines. Checked the old engine to make sure all the necessary bits were off, and then hauled it out to the "parts" M43 (which I am convinced is a builder - it's all there!).

Got some help from my brother - I don't know how he has managed to leave it alone for so long. I "allowed" him to put the water pump elbow and hoses on. Went to the parts store and bought brake fluid today - we're that close. I have noticed that having little chick fingers and acrylic nails offers some advantages - I am really really good at starting nuts and bolts, particularly in zero-clearance situations.

However, I have not managed to master operating a socket or a shirt, as I snapped a socket onto my shirt. Bro made sure that was posted on FB immediately. If you're going to be an idiot, try not to do it around a sibling with a smart phone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks