• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M43 Resurrection

zout

Dedicated to the mission. If OF had not spent part of the day chasing down pics for me - you might have gotten it all doneaua.

It all comes down to the small things doesn't it.

Keep them pics rollin in -

Ghostdriver

What a pain in the bootie today was. Dad found a set of 6 flywheel bolts for sale online for about $26 including shipping. We spent over 3 hours today yanking that stupid engine out of the parts truck for two lousy bolts. However, as Dad pointed out, we would have to wait a week if we ordered them.

Note in some of the pictures the big can of shoots-from-27-feet-away wasp spray. Yes, they had made nests in the parts truck. And I am dead-on accurate with that thing, too. Can't abide wasps, they're mean. Put my hand down on a little bunch of dried thistles, and had to sit there for a minute and pick them out, because I could no longer fold my palm up over a wrench. And yes, I would like some crackers and cheese with my whine.

Thank God for parts trucks, and tractors, and a shop full of tools, and most of all Dad, who is insanely patient over all this. Except about the gaskets we found - he's still mad about that.

Oldfart

GD, In photo #6 of post #120, you have changed your footgear from flipflops to Crocs. Did you not take our tongue-lashing seriously?:(

Those are steel toed Crocks. And the rubbery material causes the hand tools to just bounce off an arch strike. You should have seen the parts truck balanced on a cinderblock when we started. Had to get out the big floor stands to support the frame rails before we crawlled under. I should have taken some photos of Jollyroger's current effort in the shop while I was snapping a few of the bolt recovery. He is taking the M880 troop seats out of the back of his M37 and replacing those with the proper hardware for an M37. The sideboards and seat bottom slats are coming from some HUMMV troop seats we got from French Camp in California. I think he wants to sell the Dodge CUCV seats to someone that can use them.

Last edited:

Oldfart

.............. I should have taken some photos of Jollyroger's current effort in the shop while I was snapping a few of the bolt recovery. He is taking the M880 troop seats out of the back of his M37 and replacing those with the proper hardware for an M37. The sideboards and seat bottom slats are coming from some HUMMV troop seats we got from French Camp in California. I think he wants to sell the Dodge CUCV seats to someone that can use them.

Got some photos of the fiberglass slats for M37 troop seats.

Attachments

Oldfart

Today work by Ghostdriver. Still looking for the right brass elbow. Finished the vent tube install. Installed the last two flywheel bolts and reassembled the clutch to mount the bell housing. Out of the 30 some clutch alignment tools we did not have one to fit the Dodge 230. Used the transmission to align the clutch disk so she could bolt up the pressure plate. The hard way, but it works.

Attachments

Ghostdriver

I could not be more grateful to Gammagoat1. He stopped by today and not only GAVE me the inverted flare fitting I needed, he gave me the whole PCV valve assembly, with a PCV valve that rattles very nicely. Plus a couple other miscellaneous parts (one of which is a cable lever for a fording assembly, I think). He took time out of his day to drop these parts off on the way to take his son to a track meet. His son (who seems to be a very respectful, gracious, and intelligent young man) told me a couple times that he sure hoped those parts would help. I adore the Colorado MVCC and my fellow members - they are so supportive and kind.

steelandcanvas

I could not be more grateful to Gammagoat1. He stopped by today and not only GAVE me the inverted flare fitting I needed, he gave me the whole PCV valve assembly, with a PCV valve that rattles very nicely. I adore the Colorado MVCC and my fellow members - they are so supportive and kind.
Gamagoat1 is the man to turn to when you're looking for that impossible to find item, or to pick his brain with a question you can't find the answer to. On behalf of the Club's Officers and Members, I want to thank you for that gracious compliment. I would also like to thank you and your Family for the un-selfish support and participation they have given the Club since becoming Members. Good Luck GD on your project, we all hope to see it at the Rocky Mountain Airshow this month.

Oldfart

It seems like it was a long day today. The shop was devoid of any other projects so Ghostdriver, Jollyroger and I attacked the M43 together. I think we just might stab the engine sometime tomorrow. Photos of todays efforts. ( I think Jollyroger may spend the evening pulling an M37 3rd member to replace a snapped axle.)

Attachments

Last edited:

zout

I saw where you got a working pcv valve from another member - cannot say enough about almost all the members here and their comradre when it is needed the most. There is only one other time I participated in a brotherhood like this - but thta was a nother life ago and back in the 60's - 70's.

The best picture is that cheshire cat smile in front of the ambulance - that is worth a 1,000 words and you ought to frame a picture of that.

Awesome work on the engine assembly - the paint looks fantastic on pictures and I bet it is better in person.

For your health sake - and this is only my personal suggestion only - please wear a good respirator. My lungs have paid for the past doing the same thing and this newer paint systems are non forgiving. Not trying to be a critic or anything else - you folks are some precious folks and do not need anything like atomized paints to take you down (I'm done).

That engine gives me the TINGLES looking at it - my hair is standing up on my arm and I can already hear it running - you think you had a smile painting - wait till that BABY FIRES UP.
Thanks for the catch up on pics - keep lookign for heaters that will work for you out there (under the dash hot water system) because I understand that weather.
:beer::beer::beer::not worthy:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks