• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed engine swap and hydo powersteering

cuukvee85

Hey
The head gasket went in my truck so i decided to replace the whole engine with a military rebuild that my father inlaw had. I figured while the engine was out it would be a good time to do the powersteering conversion that i had started buying parts for. Well here are some pictures of the build so far.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nice! Seems like that motor lift handled everything well. Do you think there would have been enought room to leave the radiator on too?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
im real tempted to swap in the LDS from my 109 into my M35 but dont have the lifts and big equipment to do a job like that.... i'd love to though!:drool:

cuukvee85

ya the lift did handle it .. it's a 2 ton walker engine hoist . I don't think there would have been enough room to pull it with tha radiator in, I removed the front cross member to allow me to pull it straight out

joshuaz223

warchild, i'm here in central square (about 20 min north of syracuse) and have all the tools and equipment you could need. if you want to tackle that swap and would like some assistance you could bring it up and we could do it. time isn't important even if it took us a couple of weeks.

cuukvee85

i am doing the same setup as gringeltaube had done on his truck. His thead was very clear and easy to follow. The only thing that I am doing different is I am using a 5 ton steering column out of a 800 series truck and a reservoir out of a early mack with threaded fittings. I will be taking pictures as I go along.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the upper column from a goat is easy to use as well and tnj has them real cheap. gives you complete horn setup, just need to put u-joint on bottom end of shaft.

tom

cuukvee85

that's good to know. I already got the 5 ton column and middle shaft the only thing I have to do to it is shorten the middle shaft and use a conversion joint to allow the Ross yoke to work on it. I will put some pictures up when I do it . when I bought the 5 ton parts I got the upper and middle column bolth clamps and 18" steering wheel. and the 5 ton also has the horn ground on the upper column I think I'll just have to extend the wire and it should work good.

cuukvee85

Ok, I was able to do some more work on the truck. I finished drilling the holes to mount the plate i made to reinforce the frame. To let the box fit flat i had to drill a 3 5/8 hole for the body of the box. Also installed the 5 ton column and as soon as the box is in for good i can figure out how much i have to shorten the steering shaft.
(P.s. Couldn't have done it with out the help of Gringeltaube.

Attachments

Last edited:

treeguy

I was going to ask the same question about the axles. Is that some sort of adapter plate? If so do you have a source? Do you still need a tranny, I have a friend near-by that should have one?

cuukvee85

Yes they are adapters. My buddie had them made for a custom chevy c70 mud truck that he had 2.5 ton axles under. When he went to 5 ton i bought the m off him and put them on my truck. I was a little worried when he got them but his truck has a detroit 6v92t that is built and he towed around a d4 dozer on a tag along with out any issue. They are well made.

Treeguy.. As for the transmission yes i am still looking for one. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated

-Jon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks