• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed engine swap and hydo powersteering

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
two things, why do you want to replace the trans? and you should be aware that if you use a lds engine ps pump with 3 connections, you should just plug the smaller fitting on the pump, it is juat a vent for the seal and is connected internally to the suction line fitting.

tom

treeguy

5 Ton adaper

So as an observation, the deuce wheel studs are flipped and pressed into the plate, OK got that.
Now, to thread their nuts to the axle flange,
a. you had to remove it/slide it out to get in there right?
b. How is there enough space behind the axle flange for the nuts? It would look like you'd have to cut the protruding studs flush.
c. Is there enough of a recessed area cut into the axle flange to accept the nuts and a socket? There would have to be right?
Am I missing something?

That fly wheel looks real purdy![thumbzup]

Last edited:

cuukvee85

m-35tom .. the syncros in my tranny are getting a little tired. it grinds from 3rd to 4th and from 5th to 4th . I bought the adapters from my friend who had them made. They cost me $500 but he paid a lot more and I if remember right the tires and rims were $1000

treeguy.. yes you remove the studs from the hub, then the 6 lug pattern bolts to the inside of the hub with enough clearance for a nut and socket.

Last edited:

JasonS

the upper column from a goat is easy to use as well and tnj has them real cheap. gives you complete horn setup, just need to put u-joint on bottom end of shaft.

tom
The bottom of the goat column is female spline. How did you attach a u-joint? A small section of splined shaft?

cuukvee85

Powerstroken... The red millwaukee drill that i used the hole saw weighs around 100 pounds and can be pain to line up. The Jancy annular cutter drill is around 50 pounds or so and can be lined up by one person if need be. I had my father hold the weight of the drills while i lined them up. After using one you will thank yourself. The holes come out perfect and bur free.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have an old B&D mag drill. Once you turn it on(magnet) you can make minor left/right adjustments. Its a nice tool to have in the arsenal!

cuukvee85

Here is the Cad layout for the ps box . Trying to find away to put it into a format that any one can open. As of right now only people with the same software as me can open it.

Attachments

Wozdirt

Awesome work! Thank you for posting up pics of the power steering box install. This info helps get me motivated to start my P.S. project. Do you know what part# steering box you installed? (I've got a line on a ross 54043 steering box) that I think I will be using. But it looks slightly different than yours. I realize there are many variations of the ross hf54 box, and I just want to make sure I get one of the ones that will work. Also do you know what type of pitman arm and drag link you will install?
Thanks, and keep the pics coming. You are an inspiration.

Wozdirt

Awesome work! [thumbzup]

Thank you for posting up pics of the power steering box install. This info helps get me motivated to start my P.S. project.
Do you know what part# steering box you installed? I've got a line on a ross 54043 steering box that I think I will be using, but it looks slightly different than yours.
I realize there are many variations of the ross hf54 box, and I just want to make sure I get one of the ones that will work.

Also do you know what type of pitman arm and drag link you will install?

Thanks, and keep the pics coming. You are an inspiration.

cuukvee85

the box that I am using is an hf54017 it came out of 1975 to 1980 ford ln700 and the pitman arm came from the same application. as for the drag link I'm using the stock deuce one with a tapered ball stud added to the other end.

Wozdirt

Cool. thanks for the info.
I believe the 54043 is also from a ford LN series truck. Not sure what the differences are. I've been looking all over for some sort of reference that lists the part# and design of each.

Looking forward to more pics as the install progresses.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks