• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Retired in Florida

sf38a1

do you have any photos of it? I was at Tyndall AFB, we had a Jeep , for inflight emergencies. Saw it every time we had to go out on the Flight line and sit for an incoming inflight emergency, And i never took a picture of it. I was a SP , and maybe took 6 pictures at work . Have alot from the parties though !!!:beer:

Attachments

Last edited:

noaccount

I did use a heat gun. the vinyl came off easy , its the glue thats the tuff part, lacquer thinner does work , just takes time .
Heat gun off the vinyl (as you did) then use a razor blade and adhesive remover to get the majority of the glue off. Then you wipe it down with adhesive remover to get whats left.
I have taken off more decals than you can possibly imagine at work and this is the best method I have come up with.

sf38a1

I have spent the last two days trying to get the Dodge running, It starts but no idile. I have redone one tank so i know the fuel is now good and clean, which it wasn't when i first got it . i found a manifold leak , Saturday, so off to the parts house, problem , two differant size ports on the old dodge intakes, so back to the house , pulled the intake , back to the parts house with a gasket , got the right intake manifold gasket. washed , sand blasted and painted the intake . installed the intake Sunday morning. not to bad a job. pulled the oil pan since it was coated with crud and i wanted to clen out the pan. Washed ,sanblasted , painted the oil pan . while it was drying,i had to fix the oik dip stick. seem that someone had snapped the dipstick tube off at the block , and since the pan was off , now was the time to get what was left in the block out ,so I could replace it with one i found in the junk yard a few weeks back , ended up pulling the alt and fuel pump ,so i could drill out the remains of the last one, that all went well got the 'New " dipstck tube in place ,(with the help of my friend JB Weld). installed the oil pan ,and then started putting the parts back on the intake.I have a list for the parts store tomorrow, The carb is full of nasty looking stuff , that aint gas, (rebuild kit) water inlets are junk ,so is the heater control valve.

Attachments

m880 unimog

very worthy project.looks to be in good shape compared to the rusty remains we have here.
like all the photo,s -enjoy your rebuild,look forward to seeing it all up n done.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I removed this vacuum canister from under the hood , anybody know what its for?
I believe it is a reservoir for vacuum. Under full throttle the engine does not produce vacuum and anything on the vehicle that operates using vacuum (heater/A/C controls) will go to their default mode.

I recommend keeping it in the system, or replace it if it does not hold vacuum. Oh, and there may be a check valve on the hose somewhere.

Great looking project! Thanks and keep us posted.

Rick

sf38a1

your are right itis a vaccum canister . has anybody every seen one on another ambulance . there is no vaccum on the truck, heater is manual control cables . but being a rescue squad in its former life, maybe they had some special equimpent onboard. i dont really know ,just a guess

sf38a1

I started on Friday to get some more done on the ambulance, but rainy season finaly got here, so I had to work between rain clouds. i was at least able to get the front part over the cab off,with some help from the neighbor. i found the remains of a mouse nest ,and alot of nasty insulation. After cleaning out the insulation,i started removing the other parts that where attached to the cab . everthing was coated with oklahoma dirt,and alot of rust scale. As soon as the rain lets up and we get some clear days ,all will get sandblasted and painted. i have to remove the windshield, so i can see how bad the rust has spread. i have a new windshield seal comming in the mail, next week.

Attachments

sf38a1

I got a chance to work on the ambulance a little bit this week. The summer rains are here , so its tuff to do anything from sandblasting to painting with the high humidity. I had removed the windshield to see how bad the rust is ,and its not to bad, also removed the dash, will get everthing out of the cab so I can blast the rust and repaint everthing, Plus everthing has a coat of OK dirt on it , I did notice that when I first got the truck it smelled , musty, since i have removed the insulation , mice nest ,and the top peice ,it has started to smell a little better. not so musty. once i get it all clean in the inside it should have the "new car smell" Hers some shots of this week progress

Attachments

sf38a1

I have been working on the part over the cab this week in the shop.I just have to figure out what sealer I will need to reattach it to the cab and body . There are still some little dent in it but its not bad , I will have to get it out in the sun to check it out better. but I'm doing everthing by myself,and I dont want to screw it up or bang it into something moving it Before and after Pics

Attachments

sf38a1

i removed the rest of the interior,so I could blast all the rust , got most of it done before the rain came. I found a paper wrapped around the steering column,it was some kind of data sheet from when the truck was built, but it was so brittle and there wasnt enought left to get any info off of it. The good news is there wasn't as much rust around the windshield. After blasting and getting all the old caulk out .It looks really good ,all it will need is a good reseal and some paint

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Moving right along!

I am surprised these had bucket seats, I always assumed they had bench seats but I guess if they had benches there would be no way to get to the back.

I worked outside for awhile today. This heat reduces me to a snail's pace.

sf38a1

I finished the blasting today,and started the primer /painting. rain is coming in fromthe south < so maybe I can work on some of the sub assemblies . i have to go thru the heater, steering, and clean all the interior parts up,everthing is coated with OK dust

Attachments

sf38a1

Between the rain (monsoons) ,repipeing the air lines,(to cut down on the water in the lines)and trying to rearrange the storage ,so i can get all the parts inside, out of the rain I havent got much done on the dodge. this weekend I was able to get some time in .i have been trying to get small sub assembleys done ,like the sterring column ,doors, winch vents and ect ....always something to do . her some pics of the progress, the camera screwed up at the end of the day so I didn't get the final pics ,guess i have to wait till tomorrow . I was able to remove the front clip ,and sandblast anthing I could. i removed the exhaust manifolds , simply cause ,1 i wanted to replace the exhaust gaskets,and 2 ) i have no idea when or if they where ever replaced. It was alot easier to get to all the bolts with the fenders removed. now i have to blast the manifolds and replace all the rusted bolts and reassemble ,useing alot of never sieze. I was able to paint the engine, and prime the frame , I will get to paint the frame ,black ,sometime this week . i was going to pull the engine, but i was going to have to build a aframe ,so i just did everthing in the frame. the motor mounts will have to come out ,so I can get a good coat of black on them and make it look some what a profesional job [thumbzup]

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks