• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Retired in Florida

sf38a1

Its been raining almost every day, which is good , since its rainy season . But bad when you are trying to sand blast and paint . I picked up a portable garage , which has helped a great deal. Keeps the rain and dew off the truck. Plus with the heat, with a fan blowing,its not to bad in the shade. well I blasted the frame, engine, and most of the truck, didnt do the roof . I did the sides and back a few inches on the roof , but cant see takeing it down to bare metal. I am just going to feather it in . I have a lot of holes in the roof to patch. was thinking of welding them , but that means haveing to pull the sideing inside off , removeing the insulation, and then welding all the holes. then re riviting everthing back in place , juries still out on that one .I put in a new timming chain , since it still had the orginal, and not in bad shape , hardly any wear on the chain and plastic gear. replaced the water pump. and installed new brake hoses ,in the front . installed the power steering pump , box and hoses. Still looking into the AC , haven't decided which way to go .

Attachments

sf38a1

This weekend we had some great weather and I was able to get some quaility time in on the Dodge, Getting ready to paint the whole truck. Last weekend I pulled the truck out of the garage ,or should i say drug it out. the back left side wheel was locked up. So , that ment tearing down the the rear left to find out what the heck was going on . When i did get the drum off , springs fell out , not a good sign.I did find out that the rear has a posi or locking rear . Monday I was down at the parts house getting all the parts to replace the rear brakes. Something that would have to be done anyway. I did get the interior painted, which was a big step.

Attachments

sf38a1

The weather is getting where you can work outside now . I finally laid some paint down. Not to bad. But it looks like in some spots that some sand got in the paint . Thats what happens when you shoot it outside. I ' ll let it dry, and see how it looks in a week . I have to install the A/C next , I picked up a Street Rod Cooler lll ,from Classic Air. Then the dash. Maybe i have the glass back in it before the end of the year.

Attachments

sf38a1

I have been waiting on parts to get here. But as most projects there is always something to do .I went to work on getting the AC compressor mounted today, Its a lot easier when you can stand next to the engine. It wasnt too bad . repainted the Valve covers,and got the exhaust manifolds on . dropped the dist. in . Then called it a night

Attachments

sf38a1

Its been slow going lately, but I 've been trying to do a little at a time . I have been working on the interior. The A/C install has not been too hard . Just getting the dash ,and everthing back in place has been quite time consuming. pictures are of the progress on the interior and engine .

Attachments

A

A/C Cages

Wow, I thought I went out of my way when I put that bumper sticker on mine.
Just kidding sf38a1. lol
I cant bellive how much you have done to that already. I told you in the begining, retirement sucks. and you will go insane if you didnt do this rebuild.
Great job so far, keep us updated.

sf38a1

Thanks The rubber mat was from Stock interiors. The problem is for the 73 model the floor pan is a little differant. I figure once the seats are in hopfully you won't be able to notice the floor . if any one has any Ideas , let's hear it . I thought about using the heat gun to see if I couldn't reshape it. I keep working at it ,little by little . .

sf38a1

Staying busy on the project. Turned my portable garage in to a paint booth. So I could get the fenders painted ,with out a ton of sand in the paint.worked out pretty good. Windsheld installed , spotlight and have one fender on .(not in these pics)finished up late Jan 1. So I didnt get a chance to get updated photos. I 'm trying to get just one thing done every night when I get home from work. it doesnt matter if its is just blasting some bolts and getting them painted. Just have to do something every night. all most have everthing sandblasted and primed. which is a big step.

Notice the absent of Snow :-D

Attachments

Wy-m880

Looks good sf! other than the issues we all are having with connecting, i made it thru! i myself took the time to remove a 440 from a frame i had in progress of my collection, and then a 75 truck axle dana 44 w/ lock out hubs and 4" springs W/ PS!, been thinking to transplanting into my m880, or starting something on the parts truck, it been a toss up!*SHAKING* OTHER THAN WITHDRAWS I THINK IM OK! HA! GLAD I GOT MY SS BACK! *SHAKING*

sf38a1

I have been trying to get the ambulance ready for a show on the 29 of Jan. I have most of the sheet metal done. The seats are at the upolstery shop. I have to do the brakes yet . I have some small bugs to work out, Like the turn signals work ,untill the hesdlights are turn on . Then the left indicator quits flashing, and the parking lights stop working . I cant get the right door lined up. The left door bolted right up, and is perfect. But the Right is giving me fits. Oh well , It will just take time.

Attachments

nattieleather

It's looking good! Check your headlight grounds. 95% of vehicle lighting problems are from bad grounds! Make sure your grounds are tights and you have internal/external tooth washers on under the bolt head or screw head and one under the nut. Get good contact.

sf38a1

I have been very busy trying to get the ambulance on the road. I did get the electrical problem straitened out. Bad ground at the parking light. I ran a ground wire from the parking light to the radiator support on the driver and passenger side. i had to take the truck to the body shop to get the passenger door adjusted .I had worked on the door for a couple of nights, but couldnt get it right. Its amazing how fast an experiance bodyman can do it. I had replaced the carb , the old one ,that I had rebuilt ,had a vacum leak. I couldn,t make it to the stop with out the truck from dyeing out. Now I have been working on getting the fuel tanks and gauges right . I did make it to the First Florida Chapter show in Ocala FL . Had a good time and meet an SS member that has a similar ambulance ,he was down from Mich. How Cool. any how I got some pics today. I have to get some better tires , You cant tell by the photos, but the tires have cracks in the sidewalls .It needs the final coat of paint , and then I can get all the correct marking on it. As always theres more to do

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Holy moly that looks good. Awesome!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks