• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another One Bites the Dust ... New M37 Owner

1943ht

Engine pulled today... and the beast pushed outside so that I could get the steam cleaner fired up and working to clean up the engine compartment... noticed a very interesting issue with the timing chain cover... seems that the engine mount was not lined up correctly when installed at one time or the other .. There is a hole in the timing chain cover from rubbing against the motor mount... this would have resulted in some significant oil leaking...

Of course went and looked at the other engine and its mount and found similar wear marks on the engine mount but not the timing cover instead the rub marks were on the front of the mount where it had been in contact with the back of the crankshaft hub.. Long story short... it appears that both engine mounts have elongated holes where it bolts into the M37 frame... and when the engine is installed, the engine can be moved front to back within the compartment to be centered and aligned with the rear mounts when installed. In both cases, these engines and their past installations did not take this into account and wear marks developed on either side of both motor mounts due to poor positioning. Plan on avoiding that on the rebuild!

Attachments

Oldfart

We have not encountered the worn timing cover on any of the M43/M37 engines we have pulled so far, but I have seen an already pulled engine that had that wear. I have some concern with Ghostdriver's engine install as the new front motor mount already has some separation. When we purchased it, it seemed new and it had that new rubber smell. However, a few days after bolting it in place, the weight of the mounting plate has caused some cracks to show up in the rubber. ~~ That said, I think the front mount is under less stress than the two rear mounts which are set up to handle the rotational thrust. TM 9-8030 (May 1955) does in section 122 c. 5. call for making sure the mounting washers etc. are properly aligned and in 122 c. 6. it calls for installing drifts in each of the 4 mounting bolt holes to maintain the alignment while the hoist is removed from the engine. Frankly, I have never used a drift for anything other than to align the rear mounts as I drop into position. My technique for the front mounting plate is to bolt it down after installing the rear mounts. I lift the front of the engine just to take some pressure off the motor mount and then position the front plate so it clears the timing cover and crankshaft pulley flange (the adjusting slots in the front mounting plate bolt to frame.) I have never found any reference to do it that way and I only did it that way the first time I installed an engine in an M37 because things were not fitting correctly at the mounting holes. I do it that way now just out of habit.

zout

1943 - great info and pics - seem's we both have that BIG gapping hole under the hood now rofl.

I was trying to walk through Olefarts info on install in my very sick mind and I have used drift pins as well before on other engines before bolting down - just to use for alignment and pulling to get them that last 1/4 in or so. When you install stuff like an engine by yourself these come in very handy to align & at least hold it in place.

That 37 is looking sweet.

Oldfart

At 4am it is hard to be really clear. What I was saying was that the TM makes a caution about keeping the motor mount holes aligned while setting the engine in place. The TM calls for using drifts in all 4 mountings to keep the engine aligned while removing the hoist. ~~~ My practice is to use a drift if necessary to align the rear mount holes. Then I start the rear mount bolts and recheck alignment. Then I tighten the rear mount bolts. Then I use the hoist and slightly take pressure off the front mounts so I can adjust the front mounting plate so it clears the timining cover and engine crank pulley I start the front mount bolts and then I let the hoist down rechecking the front plate alignment. Then I tighten the front mounting bolts.

1943ht

CONCUR on the use of drifts to align both the front and rear mounts and the sequence for installing and tightening bolts ..

Last edited:

DAP

Following this thread to see how you do. My current M37 rebuild is a "20 year project" since I have another M37 to drive when I want to. I also have a matching M101 trailer, Generator trailer, and Pioneer Tool trailer. No I just need to find any missing accesories.

1943ht

Engine rebuild is complete... painted the block today and all of the peripherals (generator, starter, radiator shell, tranny, etc etc etc :)) ... carb, fuel pump and distributor are rebuilt and cleaned and or painted ... painted the engine compartment of the M-37 and are planning to reinstall the engine this next week ... wire harness is the next project and I hope to have that finished by the end of the week .... have 2 small pinhole leaks to fix in the fuel tank and then I can install my NOS sending unit ... all in all the project is coming along very well .. Goal is to have the beast ready to roll onto the lowboy within the next 2 weeks for transport back to WI for completion. Will have pics tomorrow.

68t

Mark, you doing a great job. Man you going to town on this m37 project, I would like to be there when its all done. How the weather there , hot. I am ready for pics, also if ok post pictures of the m16a2 on my halftrack post.:beer:

1943ht

VJ .. doing well .. trying to get as much done as I can before PCS'ing back to WI ...

JASON, Good to hear from you my friend !!! Have not been home since Apr 08, finished my OEF Tour in APR 09 and sent to Wounded Warrior Unit to take care of my Afghan wounds .. been here at Ft Benning GA since .. just finished my MEB board and am waiting for my retirement orders .. after 32+ years of service am pulling the pin .. Are you CONUS? How are you doing? Will have some time to myself this next year and would like to do some traveling to visit buds and catch up .. would love to get down your way .. Hope you and the family are doing well!

Some pics on my progress with the M37 project .. engine is ready to be put back together and installed

Attachments

halftrack

Mark,

Good to hear that. Just got back from TBS in Quantico, VA. I decided to invest in my Marine career and became a Warrant Officer. At 34 they still didn't cut you any slack and you go through the same course as the 21 year old Lt's minus the rifle range.

Looking forward to seeing your completed M37 project. I have two myself and one is kicking my butt and not starting. Keep in touch and come down to Nawlins anytime.

1943ht

Chief, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I did OCS back in the day .. went in as a Infantry Platoon E6 (SSG) and your right .. they don't cut you any slack .. my OCS class started out with 100+ bodies .. we graduated 26 2LT's at the end of the course .. just depends on how badly you wanted that commission ... I was commissioned as an Infantry Officer ... Best decision I ever made.

Last edited:

1943ht

This afternoons/evenings progress on the rebuild .. should have the engine completed tomorrow .. will then get it prepped for install ..

Attachments

zout

That absolutely makes me wanna PUKE.

That is so frickin awesome - it is disgusting.

1943ht - SALUTE - I want a bumper sticker that now says:

"I want to grow up to be like 1943":jumpin::jumpin::jumpin::jumpin:

zout

Mark - toooooo late - I was already cocking my head checking out. Deb is now rushing me to the med center cause I threw my neck out. [thumbzup]

Just happy they were not up side down.:jumpin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks