• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce with winch snatch block ???

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I am on the road, so can't take a photo and email it -nor do I have my manuals with me, BUT the snatch block is even shown in some of the manuals....you may try browsing the ones on this site and on LOGSA.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the one that came with the truck. It's carc green but no ID tags are on it. I don't know if it's the one you need but if you like i''ll e-mail you a pic?

Towman2277

Whatever you use, keep in mind that the weight of the duece is not the only factor when calculating resistance to a stuck vehicle, a safe figure is to add 50 % of the original weight to the total weight, and hunt a snatch block of that size and capacity. EX. Your truck weighs 20,000 lb.....get a 30,000 lb. snatch block. It's best to overdue it then under due a safety figure when cable wound tightly is involved. A snapped cable will do more damage then you think.....I will find a pic of a 10,000 lb. winch cable that snapped on one of my wreckers, and cut through two cab pillars and took out the windshield! Thankfully no one was injured!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Steve on all accounts. One more thing to consider is the sheave diameter. Twisting 1/2 wire rope around a 6" sheave is pretty tight for that dia cable. If you can afford it, I would stay closer to 8". Also for your consideration, check the TM section for FM 20-22 and FM 9-43-2. Both cover recovery and start in really basic terms. FM 20-22 is a scanned copy and somewhat difficult to follow but the other FM is Marine Corp and is an easier format to follow. Take the time to read it!

rmgill

Kenny are those sheave pulleys wrong for the 1/2 wire rope? It's the 5 ton rated shackle though.

Of course, ideally one should convert to the amsteel blue rope that bends tighter and doesn't store energy. $700 for a enough for the duece though. So it isn't cheap. It's a hell of a lot easier to rig and handle though.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm pretty sure they're right Ryan. For as often as they are used, should be non issue. Guess I'm somewhat anal from all the recovery and broken parts.

nickd

According to PS monthly issue #88 1960 series tyhe snatch block for the g742 and g749 trucks is FSN 3940-609-8026 rated for up to 1/2" wire rope with a 6.5" sheave 10,000 lbs working load. The 5 ton G744 model is FSN 3940-630-9932 3/4" wire rope with a 10" sheave 30,000 working load. Given these truck models are earlier models they are still rated as 2.5 and 5 ton trucks.

mcinfantry

i ran three 6" blpcks from sam winer to retrieve a 36,000lb cherry picker stuck past the outriggers with my deuce and a grade 8 bolt. worked great. i, in no way, think anyone else should try it. i did though

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,
I finally found the right snatch block as per the TM for the deuce W/W. If any one needs a pic lemme know.. I tried to post pics, but it didnt work.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at the MO forestry auction earlier this month, in Lebanon, one of the five tons still had the block and tools in the side tool box. I was amazed, it was a large snach block, at least 8 inches.
James G.

DavidWymore

Hmmmm...

Looking for a snatch block for my warn electric (sigh) 12k winch.

From what I understand, to recover a stuck vehicle, you need roughly twice what it weighs.

Also, when you put a pulley/snatch block on, it doubles the pull. SO I should need a 24k pulley. But I looked up the deuce snatch block and it's 5 ton....and if the mil rated it for a deuce, it should be plenty for my 1 ton Dodge and puny electric winch....right?

This puny little block is rated for 24k....

http://www.ntwonline.com/HD_SNATCH_BLOCK_P8874C311.cfm

Any crane/riggers out there care to set the record straight or have a link that can?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks