• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce with winch snatch block ???

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seeing as how a deuce winch is rated for 10,000# line pull you're going to need a 20,000# (10 ton) snatch block because you're doubling the pull force when you use a two part line.

rizzo

m16ty said:
Seeing as how a deuce winch is rated for 10,000# line pull you're going to need a 20,000# (10 ton) snatch block because you're doubling the pull force when you use a two part line.
this is what I think. you can see on the mile marker block (I have one at home) it is 24k. exactly twice what the 12k winch is rated for. I dont understand how the military can match up a block rated for 10k with a winch rated for 10k. maybe they mean the block is rated for a 10k winch??????

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A search of that NSN brings up the following:
ACSK BEARING TYPE PLAIN
AGCS MAXIMUM LOAD RATING 10000.0 POUNDS
AMCL BLOCK TYPE SNATCH
AMCN LOCKING STYLE 1 SAFETY LOCKING
AMCQ SHEAVE QUANTITY 1
AMCT TACKLE ACCOMMODATED TYPE WIRE ROPE
AMDC ANTITOPPLING DEVICE NOT INCLUDED
AMRR SHEAVE OUTSIDE DIAMETER 6.000 INCHES NOMINAL
AMRT CENTER PIN DIAMETER 1.252 INCHES MINIMUM AND 1.254 INCHES MAXIMUM
AMWZ SHEAVE BEARING LUBRICATION METHOD SELF-LUBRICATED
AMXC MAXIMUM TACKLE DIAMETER ACCOMMODATED 0.531 INCHES
AMXD TACKLE LOCKING DEVICE INCLUDED
AMXF ATTACHMENT STYLE 23 FLATTED STIFF SWIVEL HOOK
ANNQ MATERIAL AND LOCATION BRONZE BEARING AND STEEL CENTER PIN AND STEEL, QQ-S-681 SHEAVE AND STEEL SHELL
ANNR SURFACE TREATMENT AND LOCATION ENAMEL OVERALL
STYL STYLE DESIGNATOR 16 STRAP AND PLATE PATTERN

rizzo

1)ok why would the military put a 10k snatch block on a truck with a 10 k winch that will pull 20k when using a block?????

2)why put a 10k winch on a 13-20 k truck?

I have some ideas. what do you guys think?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rizzo said:
1)ok why would the military put a 10k snatch block on a truck with a 10 k winch that will pull 20k when using a block?????

2)why put a 10k winch on a 13-20 k truck?

I have some ideas. what do you guys think?
I'm thinking maybe that they rate snatch blocks as to what line pull you have with a single line but that doesn't seem right either. If a deuce winch is pulling it's rated load though a snatch block and the load is hooked to the hook in the snatch block there will be a 20,000# load on the snatch block ( minus a little due to the resistance of the wire rope going around the pulley).

rizzo

Boatcarpenter said:
m16ty- check this link and pretend that instead of the pulley system working vertically, it is in a horizontal plane and I think you can see why you can safely winch more than the winch is rated for with proper rigging and snatch blocks rated at 6 or 8 tons. I wouldn't use one only rated at 5 tons.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/pulley.htm
BC
I don't think you understand what we are saying. 10k on the winch line x2 creates 20k pull force. so that puts 20k of force on the snatch block (you cold think of it at the hook of the block). the rating on the block is only 10k. unless the rating is saying that that block goes with a 10k rated winch???

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rizzo, I think you and I are on the same page.

In a "bock and tackle" configuration (which is what you have when you use the snatch block) you will double your pulling force by hooking the load to the snatch block hook and hooking the end of the winch line back to the truck. If you hook the snatch block in a tree to lift something vertically all you have done is changed direction of the pull force, the pull force didn't increase, but you still doubled the force on the block.

Bootcarpenter, I've been around cranes and rigging most of my life and know all about how to increase pull/lifting force with snatch blocks and pulleys. You just count the number of lines between the load and the attachment point and multiply that by the line pull and you have the total lifting/pulling force.

rizzo

m16ty said:
rizzo, I think you and I are on the same page.

In a "bock and tackle" configuration (which is what you have when you use the snatch block) you will double your pulling force by hooking the load to the snatch block hook and hooking the end of the winch line back to the truck. If you hook the snatch block in a tree to lift something vertically all you have done is changed direction of the pull force, the pull force didn't increase, but you still doubled the force on the block.

Bootcarpenter, I've been around cranes and rigging most of my life and know all about how to increase pull/lifting force with snatch blocks and pulleys. You just count the number of lines between the load and the attachment point and multiply that by the line pull and you have the total lifting/pulling force.
yes

halftrack

Maybe they put only a 10k winch on a deuce because they know the 5 ton wrecker is right around the corner. Hence, the deuce winch should not be used for major bogs therefore a "wrecker" would be the appropiate tool for a vehicle recovery. Just a thought.